Failing. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jpSartre

Bronze

Failing.

Post by jpSartre » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Anyone study for months, do say, more than 20 PTs, countless problem sets, etc., and fail to get 165+?

traehekat

Gold

Re: Failing.

Post by traehekat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Nope, never.

Eruannon

Bronze

Post by Eruannon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm assuming you are in this situation. Don't get down on yourself. Even if you didn't get a 165 plus you can probably still get into many strong regional schools in the markets you like. You need to start acting proactively and get those applications out soon for the best chances, or take a couple years off and get work experience, or try the test again if you are set on a national school. There are plenty of people and posts on TLS that can help you with where to apply/chances/etc.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 pm

To me this sounds more like self-doubt in the middle of, or before starting to prepare?

I'm sure 165> happens to some people after that much studying, just like 175< happens to some people who only took 5 PTs or so. There's really no guarantee of "this much studying equals this score". But usually if someone has studied for months, with an effective study schedule and putting in enough hours, I would think that at least 160< would be possible...

And as Eruannon says, even if you don't get your desired score it's not the end of the world. (Although it may feel like it)

Eruannon

Bronze

Post by Eruannon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:33 pm

I've shared this many times on the boards. My first PT was in the low 150's, ended up getting a 169 on test day. This was purely independent studying, controlling variables, and seeing constant improvement up until test day. I never had a PT as high as my actual score. You just gotta find what type of studying works for you. For me it was mainly doing real practice tests, for some people its a class, books, and less on the practice tests. Give yourself a few months to figure it out and have a good time with the test, its kind of fun when you really get into it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:07 pm

Eruannon wrote:I'm assuming you are in this situation. Don't get down on yourself. Even if you didn't get a 165 plus you can probably still get into many strong regional schools in the markets you like. You need to start acting proactively and get those applications out soon for the best chances, or take a couple years off and get work experience, or try the test again if you are set on a national school. There are plenty of people and posts on TLS that can help you with where to apply/chances/etc.
Nope, luckily, more like:
kazu wrote:To me this sounds more like self-doubt in the middle of, or before starting to prepare?

I'm sure 165> happens to some people after that much studying, just like 175< happens to some people who only took 5 PTs or so. There's really no guarantee of "this much studying equals this score". But usually if someone has studied for months, with an effective study schedule and putting in enough hours, I would think that at least 160< would be possible...

And as Eruannon says, even if you don't get your desired score it's not the end of the world. (Although it may feel like it)
I've been drilling for a month. Shootin for Chicago, gonna need a 171/2 with my 3.7/3.75. Although I'm hopin someone on the adcomm tells Leiter about my personal statement (i wish), but I think he'd enjoy it.
Eruannon wrote:I've shared this many times on the boards. My first PT was in the low 150's, ended up getting a 169 on test day. This was purely independent studying, controlling variables, and seeing constant improvement up until test day. I never had a PT as high as my actual score. You just gotta find what type of studying works for you. For me it was mainly doing real practice tests, for some people its a class, books, and less on the practice tests. Give yourself a few months to figure it out and have a good time with the test, its kind of fun when you really get into it.
I'm going through the bibles and doing problem sets with 19-38, then hitting 39-59 as timed PTs. I figure there isn't much more I could do, other than re-drill the games, and review the LR and RC I got wrong. I do agree that once you get into it, it'd kinda fun. Definitely nice to have something to really focus on for once.
Last edited by jpSartre on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:10 pm

jpSartre wrote:Anyone study for months, do say, more than 20 PTs, countless problem sets, etc., and fail to get 165+?
I'm sure that has happened. But those people can't figure out how to get on the internet to tell us about it.

Seriously though, give it time. You just haven't made your big breakthrough yet. It will happen.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:14 pm

Those are some encouraging words my friend

Eruannon

Bronze

Post by Eruannon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Also posting an almost unrealistic reach score on pieces of paper all over your room doesn't hurt... yes I did this :oops:. Ended up hitting a point higher.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:29 pm

Haha, had to just test out "the secret" huh?

Eruannon

Bronze

Post by Eruannon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:34 pm

jpSartre wrote:Haha, had to just test out "the secret" huh?
I'd like to say it was my mother's bright idea, but it wasn't. But it does have some effect, if it improves your confidence, which I think is the most important thing on test day besides preparation in advance.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:48 pm

There are over 50-some PT's. You have 30 more. Keep at it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”