Another LSAT abroad question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jason8821

Bronze

Another LSAT abroad question

Post by jason8821 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Has anyone taken the LSAT in China?

I plan on teaching abroad in China and would be leaving in Mid Feb. I am about 4-5 points off of where I need to be for my target schools.

My question is should I study like crazy and try to take the Feb exam? I feel like I might come up just a bit short, or should I wait to take it in June, in China?

Thanks.

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Bronze

Re: Another LSAT abroad question

Post by Atlas LSAT Teacher » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:07 pm

I have not been to China, though if I were to go, I would definitely take an LSAT there :)

Cramming for this test rarely gets people close to their top potential score. You really want to have at least a few months to get yourself into top form. Unless you foresee having no time to prepare in China, take it in June.

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:48 pm

Atlas, thanks again for your advice.

The thing is I have been studying for 2.5 months already, and it will be around 3 1/2 by february. I certainly will have the time to put in 10 hours/week in china, although I understand the test will not be a facsimile of the one administered in the states, I don't want it to be a more difficult version.

Anyone have any experience taking it anywhere abroad?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:09 pm

I'm not sure what information you're asking for though. If it's regarding foreign test centers, my test center was fine, but I can't vouch for all centers in Asia. (if you google-search this forum for the particular test center you'll probably be taking it at I'm sure some info will come up). If it's regarding the test itself, tests administered outside of the U.S. / Canada / Carribean are undisclosed tests, and they will most likely be a different one from the one the U.S. takers will be taking that time around. Undisclosed also means that you will only have access to your score and percentage, and nothing else. But LSAC obviously carefully regulates their test material, and you won't be at a disadvantage regarding curve or difficulty or whatnot simply because you're taking it abroad.

It really depends on how you feel. Simply taking the test abroad shouldn't be an objection from taking the test in June, especially since you will have been there for a while by then and any acclimation / time difference problems etc., will probably be long gone.

What matters here is, do you think you will be able to pull up your score to what you want by February? On the other hand, if you take it in June that will be around 8 months of more studying. Do you have enough material to last you until then? What about burning out? How do you actually feel about studying for 5 more months?
Last edited by kazu on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Thanks again for the advice. I guess I am somewhat conflicted by the fact that I would really like to get the LSAT out of the way, so I could focus on teaching, and possibly learning mandarin. Despite my many hours of studying. I have only taken 5 practice tests, and worked through sections on the other 5 practice tests. A lot of my study has been re-reads of powerscore and other material.

I was thinking that I could continue with my 20 hours/week of practice until I leave, and take 1-2 months off to get acclimated, and then start focusing on a 10 hour/week regimen with 1 practice test per week for the following 3-4 months.

I am a bit worried about being burnt out though. Did you feel that it made any difference in your score by taking it abroad?

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm taking the LSAT in Brisbane Australia Feb 7th 2010. If anyone is interested in studying together let me know.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:02 am

jason8821 wrote: I am a bit worried about being burnt out though. Did you feel that it made any difference in your score by taking it abroad?

Thanks.
Nope. I do feel that my score was affected by nerves, lack of sleep, and having papers due the previous and following week, but like I said LSAC really does carefully regulate the difficulty and the curve of their tests worldwide so that they are all comparable. After finding out that the U.S. December test had a -14 curve... I did think for a second that maybe I would've gotten a better score if I took it in the States, but that really wasn't something anyone could have foreseen. Also, not getting a score breakdown is a bit annoying when you find you might want to retake. I would also suggest researching test centers carefully, but that goes for U.S. takers as well.

All in all, you should be thinking more about your study schedule and possibility of burning out. From what you've said so far, I also think you should take it in June, you probably have room to improve and you really shouldn't take the LSAT until you feel you are ready. Rushing the last few weeks before February probably isn't the best way to take the exam.

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:08 am

Ok, thanks. That helps a lot. I guess that's what i'll do. I am hoping that a two month break will rekindle that month 1 enthusiasm I once had for studying.

TheLuckyOne

Bronze

Post by TheLuckyOne » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:13 am

I think I've read somewhere here that many people bashed tests centers in China (I think there are two of them, could be wrong though). Try to search for an old thread.

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:41 am

TheLuckyOne wrote:I think I've read somewhere here that many people bashed tests centers in China (I think there are two of them, could be wrong though). Try to search for an old thread.
That would suck. I believe Guangzhou is a 45 minute train ride from hong kong. I don't know how that would work if I don't have a visa there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”