Study tips Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
deputamadre

New

Study tips

Post by deputamadre » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:24 pm

I blew the Dec. LSAT and plan on taking it again in June. I have 4 months left and dont feel it necessary to study as rigorous as I did before (2.5) tests a week. Any suggestions on a new study schedule? I was thinking 2 sections a week, not timed, while concentrating on technique.

BriaTharen

Silver

Re: Study tips

Post by BriaTharen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:36 pm

You can do the untimed for a while, practicing a technique- but at least a month or two before the test you need to start timing yourself again

aether

New

Post by aether » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:39 pm

deputamadre wrote:I blew the Dec. LSAT and plan on taking it again in June. I have 4 months left and dont feel it necessary to study as rigorous as I did before (2.5) tests a week. Any suggestions on a new study schedule? I was thinking 2 sections a week, not timed, while concentrating on technique.
You didn't say specifically what happened to you during the December test. It's difficult for us to give you good study advice when we don't know what went wrong last time. Depending on what weaknesses you plan to address, you might need very different study plans! 8)

deputamadre

New

Post by deputamadre » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:51 pm

aether wrote:
deputamadre wrote:I blew the Dec. LSAT and plan on taking it again in June. I have 4 months left and dont feel it necessary to study as rigorous as I did before (2.5) tests a week. Any suggestions on a new study schedule? I was thinking 2 sections a week, not timed, while concentrating on technique.
You didn't say specifically what happened to you during the December test. It's difficult for us to give you good study advice when we don't know what went wrong last time. Depending on what weaknesses you plan to address, you might need very different study plans! 8)
I pretty much got around -9,-10 on every section. My practices tests before hand were hovering around 159 160 but completely failed during the real test. How many sections should I do a week? A LG and LR for one week straight and then the following week another LR and RC? Something like that?

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:57 pm

2 sections a week won't cut it... 2 sections every 3 days is probably more like it. plus 1 test (timed) every other week. flash cards on formal logic too.

aether

New

Post by aether » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:15 pm

deputamadre wrote:I pretty much got around -9,-10 on every section. My practices tests before hand were hovering around 159 160 but completely failed during the real test. How many sections should I do a week? A LG and LR for one week straight and then the following week another LR and RC? Something like that?
Actually, no. Now that I understand your situation better, I think your ideas are exactly backwards. 8)

You are planning to focus on untimed technique... but you scored much lower on the actual test than on your PTs, which suggests that you didn't properly apply the techniques you knew during the test. Presumably you had some kind of issue related to the testing process itself, such as test-day anxiety or test fatigue?

If so, then switching to short untimed sections and pure technique is exactly the wrong thing. You need to do some full-length PT's under simulated test conditions. Do five-section (not four-section!) PTs, do them under a strict 35-minute clock with only one break, and do them in a public place such as your local library where there are some mild noises and distractions. Do them at the same time of day as the real test. Learn to focus and apply your techniques despite the length of the test, even while distracted.

Learning technique is good too -- but make sure you can apply your techniques fully on test day!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”