Prep Course Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
metal29

New

Prep Course

Post by metal29 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:10 am

I can't decide whether I should take a 2 weekend (4 day) prep course? Can anyone shed some light about their experiences?
I'm thinking of the Richardson prep course (prep.com). I have been studying on my own but feel that I'm very slow and wondering whether this course would provide me with techniques that would "guarantee" a relatively good score.

determinedone

New

Re: Prep Course

Post by determinedone » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:03 am

If it is your first time preparing for the test, then I strongly discourage taking a 4 day prep course. Most of the concepts for the LSAT cannot be learned in 4 days. Especially if you are already slow, as you stated. Some suggest a minimum of 3-5 months of intensive study. Check out Steve Schwartz (an LSAT tutor) blog, http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/ls ... -prep.html his advice is extremely insightful and helpful.

metal29

New

Post by metal29 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:55 pm

I wrote the Dec LSAT and am now re-writing, so it's my 2nd time preparing. However, I don't believe I prepared adequately the first time around and I'm not sure that my strategy this time around is helping that much. I'm reading the Powerscore LR bible and going by their methods and although I understand the concepts, when it comes to doing practice questions I feel I'm doing so-so; I can't do the questions with ease. I haven't done any timed section or practice tests to see whether I have improved thus far.
And I know that many people don't recommend the courses, but at times I feel it might offer even a boost of confidence to sit with people who are in the same boat. I'm not sure that tutoring would be ideal for me as I can't pinpoint exactly what I'm doing wrong and don't have specific questions to ask the tutor.
I feel that I'm spending a lot of time trying to understand the material, time that I don't have and keep falling behind in my study schedule. So I'm wondering if the course would offer techniques that would allow me to quicker identify the right answer.
And I've actually been trying to follow Steve Schwartz's 2-month study schedule which, as I said, am behind on!

aether

New

Post by aether » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:02 pm

The problem with weekend classes is that you get huge piles of new techniques all at once, and don't have time to practice and internalize the material you've learned. That makes them less likely to help you.

If you have time before your test, you should look at a slower-moving class, something that meets twice a week or so and has lots of homework. (Yes, homework is time-consuming... but practicing the techniques will hugely increase the benefits you gain from attending the class.)

No such classes available in your area? Take one on the internet. Lots of reputable test prep companies offer internet-based classes.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:35 pm

metal29 wrote: I'm not sure that tutoring would be ideal for me as I can't pinpoint exactly what I'm doing wrong and don't have specific questions to ask the tutor.
Doesn't really matter... a competent tutor should be able to analyze your performance on a test or on some practice questions and figure out what's going wrong. Diagnosing and recommended fixes is one of my favorite things to do as a tutor, and I'm sure many other tutors feel the same way.

A weekend course is good for giving you a push in your own studying. It's not going to guarantee a high score. It's going to be an introduction to the major types of questions on the three different sections and the major strategies for attacking them, so it may help clarify some things that you've learned but don't totally understand. It is a LOT all at once, though; be prepared to be exhausted by the end. But it might help motivate you and clarify a few things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”