Will Kavanaugh be confirmed to the Supreme Court? Forum

Discuss the latest legal news and law firm gossip with fellow attorneys.

Will Brett Kavanaugh be confirmed as a Supreme Court justice?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 62

tlsadmin2

Will Kavanaugh be confirmed to the Supreme Court?

Post by tlsadmin2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:29 pm

What does everyone think about Brett Kavanaugh's nomination as a Supreme Court justice? Will he get confirmed by the US Senate? Share your prediction by voting in the poll.

Toni V

Bronze

Re: Will Kavanaugh be confirmed to the Supreme Court?

Post by Toni V » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:32 pm

If the R’s fall short by one vote will a [red state] D come to Kavanaugh's rescue?

OzymandiastheWindhov

New

Post by OzymandiastheWindhov » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:00 pm

Of course.
If the Republicans don't confirm him across the board, there will certainly be a few Dems that think his being mainstream (Akhil Amar claimed he was one of the most qualified on the bench, which was hilariously short-sighted) is good enough to push him in.

The relief is that he's not a Peter Thiel-like figure, even if his current record indicates that there wouldn't be too much of a difference between the two decision-wise, especially in regard to business regulation.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:24 am

I hope you are right. I'm not certain if any D has the courage to cross over if the Rs screwup. [Today] Hillary was angrily ranting on about Kavanaugh. Whether or not she still has any real clout, don’t know.

Wolverine32

New

Post by Wolverine32 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:55 am

Toni V wrote:I hope you are right. I'm not certain if any D has the courage to cross over if the Rs screwup. [Today] Hillary was angrily ranting on about Kavanaugh. Whether or not she still has any real clout, don’t know.
Hopefully she does and also runs again to replace the
next one (which could be RBG)—I’m sure her staff is feverishly coming up with a unique, cutting edge, brand new slogan—will prob end up at “Hill!” given the track record and pick a Koch family member VP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Wolverine32 wrote:
Toni V wrote:I hope you are right. I'm not certain if any D has the courage to cross over if the Rs screwup. [Today] Hillary was angrily ranting on about Kavanaugh. Whether or not she still has any real clout, don’t know.
next one (which could be RBG)—I’m sure her staff the DNC is feverishly coming up with a unique, cutting edge, brand new slogan candidate.
You may get your HRC wish because the D stable of promising candidates is empty. Other than Biden, any suggestions?

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:22 am

Toni V wrote:
Wolverine32 wrote:
next one (which could be RBG)—I’m sure her staff the DNC is feverishly coming up with a unique, cutting edge, brand new slogan candidate.
You may get your HRC wish because the D stable of promising candidates is empty. Other than Biden, any suggestions?
Elizabeth Warren will be the Democratic nominee in 2020, or Kamala Harris

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:05 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
Toni V wrote:
Wolverine32 wrote:
Sanders, Booker, Warren, Harris, and Biden are by far the most frequently floated names for Dems.

I also see Cuomo, Gillibrand, and Murphy popping up on lists, but I think they are far less likely.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:12 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote: Elizabeth Warren will be the Democratic nominee in 2020, or Kamala Harris
The D primaries with Warren, Clinton, and Harris facing off would be must-see TV! All that is missing is Rhonda Rowdy and a cage! What say you — your best shot to beat Trump?

I take it that Biden and O’Malley are sidelined (since the idea is to win the presidency). IMO: O’Malley was less exciting than a potted plant during the ’16 debates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:15 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
Toni V wrote:
Wolverine32 wrote:
Sanders, Booker, Warren, Harris, and Biden are by far the most frequently floated names for Dems.

I also see Cuomo, Gillibrand, and Murphy popping up on lists, but I think they are far less likely.
Yea those are the Likely 5, I think any of them would do, and if history tells us anything, it will be Biden. He's the moderate, well-connected, establishment candidate. He also has a certain relatability to him. But I'm betting on Warren, because I think the Left is angry and willing to vote more radically that most years. I also think that she is f--ing smart, and will set the debates on fire.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:37 am

Lol if the dems run warren. That would make for an easy 4 more years of Trump.

Also, Cuomo isn't even liked in his state. That's a VP quality

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 pm

Wubbles wrote:Lol if the dems run warren. That would make for an easy 4 more years of Trump.

Yea let's vote for the inept authoritarian instead of the decent, highly-intelligent progressive.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
Wubbles wrote:Lol if the dems run warren. That would make for an easy 4 more years of Trump.

Yea let's vote for the inept authoritarian instead of the decent, highly-intelligent progressive.
I wasn't making a claim on who was a better person, I was making a claim on who would be more likely to win a presidential election. Trump would easily beat Warren

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:48 pm

On the question of Kavanaugh. I am still not certain if red state dems (running in the primary) will support Kavanaugh if the Rs are unable to garner the votes to confirm Kavanaugh.

However, should the Rs secure the votes to confirm, then yes, the red state dems will undoubtedly vote to confirm Kavanaugh. Agree,—?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:33 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote: Yea let's vote for the inept authoritarian instead of the decent, highly-intelligent progressive.
Which one's which, again?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Toni V wrote:On the question of Kavanaugh. I am still not certain if red state dems (running in the primary) will support Kavanaugh if the Rs are unable to garner the votes to confirm Kavanaugh.

However, should the Rs secure the votes to confirm, then yes, the red state dems will undoubtedly vote to confirm Kavanaugh. Agree,—?
I don't think the Rs are going to have a tough time confirming Kavanaugh. Collins and Murkowski aren't going to flip, because I don't think Kavanaugh is going to slip up on Roe v. Wade (or that he's necessarily any more anti-Roe than Roberts).
totesTheGoat wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote: Yea let's vote for the inept authoritarian instead of the decent, highly-intelligent progressive.
This would be a good jest if Trump could be remotely confused for being either intelligent or a progressive.

Wolverine32

New

Post by Wolverine32 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Toni V wrote:On the question of Kavanaugh. I am still not certain if red state dems (running in the primary) will support Kavanaugh if the Rs are unable to garner the votes to confirm Kavanaugh.

I don't think the Rs are going to have a tough time confirming Kavanaugh. Collins and Murkowski aren't going to flip, because I don't think Kavanaugh is going to slip up on Roe v. Wade (or that he's necessarily any more anti-Roe than Roberts).
totesTheGoat wrote:
This would be a good jest if Trump could be remotely confused for being either intelligent or a progressive.
Just a winner. No jest needed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:41 am

totesTheGoat wrote:
Oh come on.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:46 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:
Oh come on.
You're right, Warren isn't an inept authoritarian, she's a highly effective authoritarian in the mold of Woody Wilson. Of course, I think Wilson is the worst or second to worst president ever, so you can imagine my disdain for Warren. I also had to use her textbook in my Bankruptcy Law class, further increasing my ire.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:34 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:
Oh come on.
You're right, Warren isn't an inept authoritarian, she's a highly effective authoritarian in the mold of Woody Wilson. Of course, I think Wilson is the worst or second to worst president ever, so you can imagine my disdain for Warren. I also had to use her textbook in my Bankruptcy Law class, further increasing my ire.
I can see how you could argue that she wouldn't have enough restraint as a leader. I was mostly frustrated by the inversion of "inept" and "highly-intelligent. Any non-biased individual listening to the two of them talk would have to conclude that Warren is a sharper thinker with better analytical abilities.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote: Any non-biased individual listening to the two of them talk would have to conclude that Warren is a sharper thinker with better analytical abilities.
Apropos of nothing, I've come to the opinion that the better orator isn't always the smarter person. I've known some insanely smart people who sound like idiots when you put a microphone in their face. I've also know some profoundly stupid people who can BS and charm their way out of anything.

RE: Trump and Warren, I've never heard either of them speak outside of a scripted context, so I have no idea how smart they are.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:48 pm

Good thing we're not limited to listening to them talk when determining their intelligence, then.

Also the idea that Trump could be confused for a progressive is pretty nonsensical.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Has anyone noticed? With everything going on, Kavanaugh is totally out of the news cycle.

cookiegirl521

New

Post by cookiegirl521 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:21 pm

I hope he is NOT confirmed - I have an illness which will be fatal if I don't have insurance. I don't want to die young.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:43 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
Toni V wrote:
Wolverine32 wrote:

Seconding this. Not sure why Toni keeps talking about HRC - I can't see her running again in 2020 after what happened in 2016. Even if she did run in 2020, she'd be crushed in the primaries - one, I don't think there's any appetite among Dem voters for a Clinton v. Trump rematch, and two, unlike in 2008 and 2016, HRC announcing a third run wouldn't clear the field.

It's entirely possible the D nominee in 2020 is some dark-horse candidate like Howard Schultz.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal News/Law Firm Gossip”