Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Re: Drinking the JD Underground Kool-Aid.

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:12 pm

TruckerD wrote:
MTal wrote:I would love to respond to this in full right now, however, I am currently at work being payed to study for my series 7 and 63 licenses. I will get back to you at some later time.
I don't post much, but I do read a lot here, and it seems to me that someone who is supposedly "studying" on company time is definitely posting a lot of BS instead of answering a legitimate question someone asks you directly.

PS...it's "paid", not payed
and that's being played, not plaid.

KingJones

New

Post by KingJones » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:14 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
TruckerD wrote:
MTal wrote:I would love to respond to this in full right now, however, I am currently at work being payed to study for my series 7 and 63 licenses. I will get back to you at some later time.
I don't post much, but I do read a lot here, and it seems to me that someone who is supposedly "studying" on company time is definitely posting a lot of BS instead of answering a legitimate question someone asks you directly.

PS...it's "paid", not payed
and that's being played, not plaid.
and that's being made, not mayed.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I'm glad that you help bring a dose of reality to TLS, but didn't you drop out of law school?

What reality are you especially privy to, other than that you couldn't hack it in LS? Why do you keep haunting this board just to troll 0L's?
broken_image

LOL I just spit soda all over my keyboard :lol:

rGsgbJsl1

New

Post by rGsgbJsl1 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Gaius wrote:JDU has somewhat of a point, but they go to far. In this market I think its really T14 or bust (or full ride at a T1 near where you want to live). It used to take Top 30% to get biglaw from regional T1s like Illinois, but now its 10%. Considering it probably costs 180K to attend, that isn't a good bet.

Even for a t14 you need to have a backup plan.

My backup plan in case I flame out of law school is: 1) high-school teacher or 2)military(not even JAG)

Both qualify for IBR public interest forgiveness. Not exactly high powered corporate law, but hey I can live with it.
ha, #2 is my back-up plan.

SplitterPride

New

Post by SplitterPride » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:05 pm

PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FROM JD UNDERGROUND AND TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE:

http://www.jdunderground.com/thread.php?threadId=39312

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rGsgbJsl1

New

Post by rGsgbJsl1 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:32 pm

SplitterPride wrote:PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FROM JD UNDERGROUND AND TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE:

hahahaha
fucking idiot

katieg

New

Post by katieg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:40 pm

SplitterPride wrote:PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FROM JD UNDERGROUND AND TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE:

WTF when I click on that link, the girl (Raegan?) from The Exorcist pops up on screen for like 3 seconds. Do I have a virus now or something?

rGsgbJsl1

New

Post by rGsgbJsl1 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:42 pm

katieg wrote:

WTF when I click on that link, the girl (Raegan?) from The Exorcist pops up on screen for like 3 seconds. Do I have a virus now or something?
nice one, you just ruined it for everyone else :roll:

KansasSplitter

New

Post by KansasSplitter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:07 pm

I would love to respond to this in full right now, however, I am currently at work being payed to study for my series 7 and 63 licenses. I will get back to you at some later time.
As an advisor at a top wirehouse firm, I love that you post this as if it makes you sound like some sort of badass. Make it through your company's asset accumulation hurdles, get off your sub-$40k training salary, pass your tests, and gather about $25 million dollars in annuitized assets during a bear market...then your job status won't be "joke of the office".

But it still won't be worth bragging about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:21 pm

KansasSplitter wrote:
I would love to respond to this in full right now, however, I am currently at work being payed to study for my series 7 and 63 licenses. I will get back to you at some later time.
As an advisor at a top wirehouse firm, I love that you post this as if it makes you sound like some sort of badass. Make it through your company's asset accumulation hurdles, get off your sub-$40k training salary, pass your tests, and gather about $25 million dollars in annuitized assets during a bear market...then your job status won't be "joke of the office".

whats a wirehouse firm?

KansasSplitter

New

Post by KansasSplitter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:26 pm

JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, Smith Barney, and what's left of Lehman Brothers are generally considered the major wirehouses in the U.S.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 pm

MTal wrote:
musiclaw23 wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
showNprove wrote:Actually, the poster from JD Underground probably isn't far off. From examining schools' reputations and their placement records, I put the ceiling at about T40, rather than T30. I'm of the opinion that it's not worth to go to law school outside the T40 (give or take) without some scholarship unless being an attorney is your sole desire in life.

Then again, if that sole desire is to be a biglaw attorney, and you can't crack T40, you might as well quit while you're (financially) ahead.
You really have to consider the future though. The JD could prove to be a very very valuable degree in a world where more and more people have BAs or BSs. I'm of the opinion that most of the people like the posters on JD underground actually are losers. Not because they are unable to hack it in the legal market, but because seeing that they have a distaste for law firms, they failed to figure out how they can otherwise utilize or market themselves.

My father does have any degree and I've never heard him wine like they do. The fact is he is capable of being successful and he is because he worked his ass off and they could be as well. <b>They probably all went to law school thinking a JD is a guaranteed free ticket to a good job</b> no matter how lazy/stupid they are. Woops.
Although I probably wouldn't have been quite so harsh, TITCR.
I can't wait until the reality of life smacks you two idiots in the face. When you are young, you perceive yourself as indestructable...nothing bad can happen as long as you "work hard" (as if 99 % of the people in law school don't work hard). I guess some things you just have to experience before you can understand them.
99% of people in law school work hard? Which of us is naive? Jesus.

Even if that is true, that would mean that all of the people who are in the bottom 30% of their classes are there despite hard work. that's why I said lazy/stupid . . . I think this would cover the stupid side of that no?

. . . which side do you fall on?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:00 pm

KansasSplitter wrote:

Way to go dude. It takes a big man to make fun of someone for starting a job with a low salary...go YOU!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:07 pm

MTal wrote:
KansasSplitter wrote:

Way to go dude. It takes a big man to make fun of someone for starting a job with a low salary...go YOU!
I think he was making fun of your perceived self-importance. Given, that you apparently had the time to get back to KansasSplitter's post and to call two other posters idiots, you also probably had time to formulate an answer as to why, as a law school dropout, you would know more about the legal market than everyone else on TLS.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:25 pm

YCrevolution wrote: I think he was making fun of your perceived self-importance. Given, that you apparently had the time to get back to KansasSplitter's post and to call two other posters idiots, you also probably had time to formulate an answer as to why, as a law school dropout, you would know more about the legal market than everyone else on TLS.
Oh the irony of an internet moderator (particularly one who bans and locks threads at the drop of a hat) accusing others of having a "perceived sense of self-importance".

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:29 pm

MTal wrote:
YCrevolution wrote: I think he was making fun of your perceived self-importance. Given, that you apparently had the time to get back to KansasSplitter's post and to call two other posters idiots, you also probably had time to formulate an answer as to why, as a law school dropout, you would know more about the legal market than everyone else on TLS.
Oh the irony of an internet moderator (particularly one who bans and locks threads at the drop of a hat) accusing others of having a "perceived sense of self-importance".
I have never claimed not to have an inflated sense of self-importance. Also, you still haven't answered Z3RO's question, and if you can't get back on-topic, I suggest you stop posting in this thread.

soullogical

New

Post by soullogical » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:14 pm

KansasSplitter wrote:

Agreed..Just left this industry, I spent 5 years in various positions...it's the worst possible time to enter. Hope you pass your tests though, most firms will fire you if you fail. Nice way to spend 6 hrs, at least you know your results immediately.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:26 pm

you also probably had time to formulate an answer as to why, as a law school dropout, you would know more about the legal market than everyone else on TLS.
Um, wouldn't it stand to reason that a person who has applied to law school and completed their first year know more about the current job market than a bunch of 1L's and especially 0L's who are just getting started in the process? The fact is that a good many people here are extremely deluded (often willfully so) about the realities of law school and the consequences of going over a HUNDRED thousand dollars in debt.

Zero asked why a law school drop out still posts here. To me, this is like saying you have to be a politician in order to be interested in politics. I have many reasons for coming back to this board, reading posts, and commenting. One is that it helps validate my decision to not come back. After reading some of the posts about the job market and the trouble recent grads are having, it only confirmed what I have suspected.

I also have other reasons which I don't care to go into at this time.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:31 pm

I come for the lunch buffet. It’s stellar.

On a serious note, I think that attacking someone on the grounds that 'they don't belong' on an internet forum is basically retarded. Anyone can navigate here, sign up and post away.

MTaL, like him or not, brings something to the table, i.e. the LS drop-out who saw the game from the inside (albeit a very brief time), and decided he wanted out. That’s a valuable resource to have to some extent. It takes balls to walk away from LS, because anyone you talk to will say, "stick it out, its models and bottles when you're done."

I am criticized on here left and right for being an attorney and posting here. I've been told:

- You must be a loser; otherwise you wouldn't have time to post here
- You only work in midlaw, not biglaw, thus you're TTT and have nothing to contribute
- you're a know-it-all and shouldn't 'beat up' on 0Ls (which I don't think I do, but I digress)

Even with that, every once in a while I get to dispense some useful advice or can answer a PM from someone with a specific question and so I stick around. But long story short, every time you make a non-traditional poster feel unwelcome, simply to make yourself feel better about your own position/opinion you hurt the collective value of TLS.
Last edited by reasonable_man on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:50 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I come for the lunch buffet. It’s stellar.

On a serious note, I think that attacking someone on the grounds that 'they don't belong' on an internet forum is basically retarded. Anyone can navigate here, sign up and post away.

MTaL, like him or not, brings something to the table, i.e. the LS drop-out who saw the game from the inside (albeit a very brief time), and decided he wanted out. That’s a valuable resource to have to some extent. It takes balls to walk away from LS, because anyone you talk to will say, "stick it out, its models and bottles when you're done."

I am criticized on here left and right for being an attorney and posting here. I've been told:

- You only work in midlaw, not biglaw, thus you're TTT and have nothing to contribute
- you're a know-it-all and shouldn't 'beat up' on 0Ls (which I don't think I do, but I digress)

Even with that, every once in a while I get to dispense some useful advice or can answer a PM from someone with a specific question and so I stick around. But long story short, every time you make a non-traditional poster feel unwelcome, simply to make yourself feel better about your own position/opinion
I don't have a problem with a law school drop out coming and posting on here. There are posters on here who decided just not to go to law school at all. That's fine if they want to stick around. But MTal's tone is bitter, insulting, and defeatist to the point where he turns basically everybody against him. I don't really see him contributing anything other than cliched warnings of doom and gloom because it didn't work out for him. He's said himself many times that such warnings are useless here, so maybe I'm missing his objective.

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:55 pm

Even with that, every once in a while I get to dispense some useful advice or can answer a PM from someone with a specific question and so I stick around. But long story short, every time you make a non-traditional poster feel unwelcome, simply to make yourself feel better about your own position/opinion
I have no problem with someone who has been there, done that, even if it was a negative experience. I DO have a problem however with someone who comes on, trash talk others, and at the same time won't explain why we should listen to him. He has been asked by ZERO and others, and has failed to respond. He evades the question and goes on to trash talk others.

I welcome yours and his advice on my upcoming journey. I know I don't know everything (and sometimes anything) about pursuing a law career, and listening to peoples experiences helps me understand what is to come. Just don't come on here talking shit, and then expect us to believe anything you say, or accept any advice you give. (That was in general, not directed towards you personally)

Damn! Helmholtz beat me to it! Well said, man!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:38 pm

I still like you, RM :).

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Even with that, every once in a while I get to dispense some useful advice or can answer a PM from someone with a specific question and so I stick around. But long story short, every time you make a non-traditional poster feel unwelcome, simply to make yourself feel better about your own position/opinion you hurt the collective value of TLS.
But Mtal is pretty much a douche about it. And you're not.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:29 pm

PKSebben wrote:

But Mtal is pretty much a douche about it. And you're not.
Well, I can't really argue that. I think Mtal knows he is being a douche though, so I doub't he would be to upset by that. On that note.. it's 11:43, I'm leaving my office.. finally and will be up by 6am for court tomorrow.. Welcome to the profession everyone! ;)

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:09 am

MTal wrote:
you also probably had time to formulate an answer as to why, as a law school dropout, you would know more about the legal market than everyone else on TLS.
Um, wouldn't it stand to reason that a person who has applied to law school and completed their first year know more about the current job market than a bunch of 1L's and especially 0L's who are just getting started in the process? The fact is that a good many people here are extremely deluded (often willfully so) about the realities of law school and the consequences of going over a HUNDRED thousand dollars in debt.
Hell most 2Ls and 3Ls don’t know much about the real job market outside OCI. I have no problem with you posting, but some of what you say is just repeating the misinformation that 0L’s do. None of us are experts here and everyone’s situation is going to be unique to the school they got to, the market they are looking in the strategies they take in finding a job. The best anyone can do, I think, is speak to their personal experience as it related to them in hope that might help others, rather than just making blanket generalizations that all law students at every school are going to have X results.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”