take community college courses to raise my gpa? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
quartzasr

New

take community college courses to raise my gpa?

Post by quartzasr » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:16 am

Hey everyone. So I hear LSAC looks at transfer courses from community colleges.

Does this mean I can take summer courses at my community college to RAISE MY GPA?

It's easy to get an A in summer classes because you usually take one course.

Thank you all for your answers.

seanpatin

New

Post by seanpatin » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:25 am

well, it seems like a community college course might cause some eyebrows to be raised... but, I am currently taking a summer course at my undergraduate institution, which as you said, should increase my GPA since it is the only one I am taking.

quartzasr

New

Post by quartzasr » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:59 am

oh shoot, it just boils down to money at this point i guess.

it's so expensive to take summer classes at university.

what do you think? should i just spend the money and take the classes at my university rather than at my community college?

is it REALLY worth it?

I would not only have to spend more money, but be away from home during summer. But the money is still killing me.

And I don't believe community college courses are THAT much easier or a piece of cake.

So, should I just shell out some money to please the picky admissions council and sacrifice time away from home?

seanpatin

New

Post by seanpatin » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:24 am

if you are worried about money, you might just stay away from summer courses altogether. Having a nice three-month break can't really HURT you can it? Maybe that time off will help you recover for the fall semester. I would stay away from the CC courses personally, but it probably wouldn't hurt you too much when it came down to it.

on_ne_sait_jamais

New

Post by on_ne_sait_jamais » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:57 am

don't listen to these people, if you are still an undergrad take any courses that will inflate your gpa!!! seriousy, harvard and yale inflate their gpa's and who's to say that a gen english class any community college is any less reputable than a gen english span comm...etc class at any tech/stat/private liberal arts school. I have no idea why these people are telling you not to do it. any non ivy A is an A

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ktlulu1

New

Post by ktlulu1 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:16 pm

I know lots of people who went home and took classes at CC or a nearby university during the summer. I think it's a pretty normal thing to do. If it's a money issue and you feel uncomfortable about having CC grades then when you send in your apps write a paragraph about how you did it to be home for the summer working and saving money -- or whatever. I don't think it's a huge deal.

EvaDancer85

New

Post by EvaDancer85 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:55 am

I took two classes from a community college during summer break last year...I got two A's a lot easier than if I had taken it with my normal case load, and I got a great rec letter from one of the professors. I don't think it will hurt me, besides law school doesn't care where I took those two courses, but it helped me graduate on time.

eqmassa

New

Post by eqmassa » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:07 am

... LSAC alters your GPA depending on factors like this; having As at a low-ranked community college might actually lower your LSAC GPA depending on your initial school/GPA.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:34 am

^ what?!?

Your grades are your grades. An A an a CC weighs as much as an A at Harvard. The only way for it to weigh more is if it is an A+ or A-, then it's weighted differently.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ktlulu1

New

Post by ktlulu1 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:11 pm

... LSAC alters your GPA depending on factors like this; having As at a low-ranked community college might actually lower your LSAC GPA depending on your initial school/GPA.
Absolutely not true. Your GPA is your GPA regardless of where you go. LSAC only alters GPAs to fit to their scale since some schools do A, AB, B, etc and some do A+,A, A-, etc. and whatever other grading systems there are...

lilkrnq

New

Post by lilkrnq » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:32 pm

If you've taken classes at community colleges where the grading system is A\B\C\D\F, then how do these grades get computed in with the rest of your grades if they are on a regular college grading scale?

rhit2004

New

Post by rhit2004 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:04 pm

Yes, getting an A on a course during the summer at a CC will raise your GPA - but not much. A single course has very little effect on your overall GPA unless you bomb it or your current GPA is really low.

Example:
Lets assume you take 6 courses each semester and have two semesters each academic year. You will have taken 12 courses each year or 48 courses over a typical 4-year undergraduate career. Now add in a single summer school course in which you receive an "A"and the effect is very small.

University GPA - with an "A" in one summer class - two "A's"
3.00___________________3.02___________________3.04
3.10___________________3.12___________________3.14
3.20___________________3.22___________________3.23
3.30___________________3.31___________________3.33
3.40___________________3.41___________________3.42
3.50___________________3.51___________________3.52
3.60___________________3.61___________________3.62
3.70___________________3.71___________________3.71
3.80___________________3.80___________________3.81
3.90___________________3.90___________________3.90
Note: with the higher GPAs the change was beyond two decimal points

eqmassa

New

Post by eqmassa » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:05 pm

Okay, sorry about that, guess I completely misunderstood LSAC's system. I thought they corrected for grading policies.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”