So.... what if you just apply after a deadline has passed? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LizLemon

New

So.... what if you just apply after a deadline has passed?

Post by LizLemon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:19 am

Like many other great things in my life, my decision to attend law school came late. My applications were rushed, but I generally work best this way. LSAT score is decent and I may retake it in June just for a few prestige points. Great personal statement and undergrad GPA from USC.

As more time passes, I'm starting to rethink my decision to stay in California for law school and am considering other schools. But with my rushed process, I mostly only applied to the major So Cal schools.

My question is... what would happen if I just applied to some other mid-tier law schools through LSAC even after their deadlines have passed? Has anyone done this? Any advice? :?: :?:

joebruin999

New

Re: So.... what if you just apply after a deadline has passed?

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:23 am

I believe they're called deadlines for a reason.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:26 am

I got waitlisted at a school I applied to 2 weeks after their deadline. It's could be worth a try, depending on how long it's been since their deadline has passed. You should email them and ask nicely before applying though.

LizLemon

New

Post by LizLemon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:28 am

leobowoski wrote:I got waitlisted at a school I applied to 2 weeks after their deadline. It's could be worth a try, depending on how long it's been since their deadline has passed. You should email them and ask nicely before applying though.
I guess that would be better than just applying! Thanks for the info.

Rambiggler

New

Post by Rambiggler » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:29 am

joebruin999 wrote:I believe they're called deadlines for a reason.
if you call and ask any law school or email them they will tell you their deadline is "fluid" or a "suggested" deadline. some exceptions... and some will tell you your app will be considered "on a space available basis"

bottom line: they will still take your app, for sure... and will definitely take your application fee

i think if your numbers/app is great they will consider you normally, if not so much then i think even less of a chance than if applied on time

i also decided to apply late in the game. sent some apps in before the deadlines, and some in soon after. all were accepted and promised to receive a full review.

call or email the school you are interested in. chances are they will still take your app.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:29 am

Some schools have "Accept" deadlines which are supposed to be hard. Many have "prefer" deadlines, which mean they will accept applications after the deadline but no promises.

Some of the accept schools will make exceptions.

I know that I personally have gotten into at least one school where I applied after the deadline (Actually I applied AT the deadline, but it was a 'complete' deadline, not an 'apply' deadline and they let me in anyway.) It really varies from school to school, but you better have damned good stats for that school and hope that they are having trouble filling their class. Calling or emailing beforehand is a good idea.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:35 am

LizLemon wrote:Like many other great things in my life, my decision to attend law school came late. My applications were rushed, but I generally work best this way. LSAT score is decent and I may retake it in June just for a few prestige points. Great personal statement and undergrad GPA from USC.

As more time passes, I'm starting to rethink my decision to stay in California for law school and am considering other schools. But with my rushed process, I mostly only applied to the major So Cal schools.

My question is... what would happen if I just applied to some other mid-tier law schools through LSAC even after their deadlines have passed? Has anyone done this? Any advice? :?: :?:
Adcoms will come to your house and kill you stealthily in the night. They will then dispose of your body in a similar manner.

But really, reapply next cycle with a better LSAT score, a well put together applications and a comprehensive list of schools you'd potentially want to attend.

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:44 am

After the June LSAT I got a bunch of letters from schools asking me if I wanted to start last fall. They were, um, a little lower in the rankings than I was hoping for, but if you're not too picky you could probably get your app into a lower ranked school now.

You might also consider a non-ABA online school, like Oak Brook, which has a bar passage rate of 0-50%, depending on which phase the moon is in. I'm just saying... :roll:

AugieMarch

New

Post by AugieMarch » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:48 pm

Action Jackson wrote:After the June LSAT I got a bunch of letters from schools asking me if I wanted to start last fall. They were, um, a little lower in the rankings than I was hoping for, but if you're not too picky you could probably get your app into a lower ranked school now.

You might also consider a non-ABA online school, like Oak Brook, which has a bar passage rate of 0-50%, depending on which phase the moon is in. I'm just saying... :roll:

I took my LSATS in feb. and a school sent me a letter asking me to apply this cycle long after their deadline. It was my first choice even before I got the letter, so it was pretty neat. I'm sure it is a lot harder to get in now though, so that is working against me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spinsta

New

Post by spinsta » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Retake. Reapply next cycle.

LizLemon

New

Post by LizLemon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:02 am

spinsta wrote:Retake. Reapply next cycle.
Yes I keep going back to this idea but I'm a little older than most of you guys. I'll be 29 when I enter law school if I do it in 2009. Still debating... of course if I get into my top choice which is USC, everything changes.

jigga-hjalmar

New

Post by jigga-hjalmar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 am

I applied to a T14 whose deadline is February 1st. I contacted the dean and got special permission to apply late (first week of March) and was accepted two weeks after I went complete. It can happen.

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:16 pm

If you get waitlisted at a school you applied late to do you think they will view your app. the same as other waitlisted apps or will they view you more harshly for applying late?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”