Low Low Low

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kitchen

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:13 am

Low Low Low

Postby kitchen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Okay so I will be graduating in December, And I plan on retaking the Lsat in November. I know I will apply to Southern University, but not really sure where else I should look at (I'm from Louisiana)

a little background, My Gpa is TERRIBLE 2.59 ( my friend Died and I failed every class that semester) along with a few setbacks, but I've been busting my Butt to try and bring it up, Anyway and I am currently taking 15 hours so that will bring it up some, but I doubt it will help much. My first LSAT score was 138- I didn't study and just kind of winged it. I just wanted to see what it was like and where I stood. I'm not worried about paying for school, although some money would be nice, I just want to see where I need to be. What schools I should focus on etc.

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1599
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby albanach » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:29 pm

kitchen wrote:Okay so I will be graduating in December, And I plan on retaking the Lsat in November. I know I will apply to Southern University, but not really sure where else I should look at (I'm from Louisiana)

a little background, My Gpa is TERRIBLE 2.59 ( my friend Died and I failed every class that semester) along with a few setbacks, but I've been busting my Butt to try and bring it up, Anyway and I am currently taking 15 hours so that will bring it up some, but I doubt it will help much. My first LSAT score was 138- I didn't study and just kind of winged it. I just wanted to see what it was like and where I stood. I'm not worried about paying for school, although some money would be nice, I just want to see where I need to be. What schools I should focus on etc.


Do you have to graduate? Is there any prerequisite you could miss that delays graduation? If so, and if you _really_ want to be a lawyer, explore the options for increasing your cumulative GPA.

With a 2.5-2.6 and a sub 150 LSAT, you are unlikely to be admitted to any law school that's worth attending. You would need to massively improve your LSAT into the high 160s to low 170s to have a shot at $$$ from T1 schools. You're very unlikely to do that before November. At the very least you should be planning to delay until next year for your application to law school.

kitchen

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:13 am

Re: Low Low Low

Postby kitchen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:35 pm

i Can not delay graduation for a few reasons. but I won't go into that. Also the only way I would "miss" anything and would havwe to stay is if I Failed any of these classes. Anyway as mentioned I will graduate in December. That 138 score was last June? I believe so in 2017. I know my LSAT will improve I am working on that. And I don't really need money, My full law school will be paid for. I would just like a little money to live off of, but it isn't really necessary

Johnnybgoode92

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:39 pm

kitchen wrote:i Can not delay graduation for a few reasons. but I won't go into that. Also the only way I would "miss" anything and would havwe to stay is if I Failed any of these classes. Anyway as mentioned I will graduate in December. That 138 score was last June? I believe so in 2017. I know my LSAT will improve I am working on that. And I don't really need money, My full law school will be paid for. I would just like a little money to live off of, but it isn't really necessary


I got a 138 and got into law school.

nixy

Bronze
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Low Low Low

Postby nixy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:14 pm

The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”

Johnnybgoode92

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:24 pm

nixy wrote:The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”


Any ABAlaw school gives you a chance at being a lawyer. It's up to you and your work ethic.

nixy

Bronze
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Low Low Low

Postby nixy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”


Any ABAlaw school gives you a chance at being a lawyer. It's up to you and your work ethic.

Having “a chance” at being a lawyer doesn’t necessarily make a school worth attending. What matters is how big that chance is and how much it costs. Most people aren’t going to want to spend a lot of money on, say, a 5% chance to be “a lawyer” - most are going to want a better chance, and at being some specific kind of lawyer.

Johnnybgoode92

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:18 pm

nixy wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”


Any ABAlaw school gives you a chance at being a lawyer. It's up to you and your work ethic.

Having “a chance” at being a lawyer doesn’t necessarily make a school worth attending. What matters is how big that chance is and how much it costs. Most people aren’t going to want to spend a lot of money on, say, a 5% chance to be “a lawyer” - most are going to want a better chance, and at being some specific kind of lawyer.


That's why I said ABA. People gave me flack for my decision but a good portion still becomes lawyers.

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1599
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby albanach » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:That's why I said ABA. People gave me flack for my decision but a good portion still becomes lawyers.


There's very little data, but mylsn suggests OP will have a hard time getting into any of the top 100 schools. Once we get into third tier territory, employment stats are really not good. OP Wants to apply to Southern University where 42% of graduates are unemployed or employed in a short-term or part-time position. Fewer than half of their graduates have long-term full-time employment in a JD required position.

And OP is just above the 25th percentile for GPA and well below the 25th for LSAT at Sourthern, so that school might be a reach.

Assuming OP is in-state we're still looking at $130+ in tuition and living costs. Add in lost-opportunity and we're talking about a quarter of a million dollars for less than one in two chance of being a lawyer - let alone a successful lawyer.

Even if someone else is paying, OP would be better advised to dramatically improve their LSAT and try to get into a good school with a big scholarship or, to invest the money they would have spent on do something different.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby JohnnieSockran » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:44 pm

kitchen wrote:i Can not delay graduation for a few reasons. but I won't go into that. Also the only way I would "miss" anything and would havwe to stay is if I Failed any of these classes. Anyway as mentioned I will graduate in December. That 138 score was last June? I believe so in 2017. I know my LSAT will improve I am working on that. And I don't really need money, My full law school will be paid for. I would just like a little money to live off of, but it isn't really necessary


I'm not sure that's how scholarships work. I'm pretty sure if the school costs let's say $30k/year (just for an example), and you have a $5k scholarship, they automatically apply it and send you a bill for $25k instead of $30k. It's not like they give you the $5k scholarship as cash to spend.

Unless you have family willing to pay your $30k/year, and they'd be willing to give you the $5k in cash that you'd be saving them.

But then again, if your family is willing to throw away $30k/year at the schools you'd likely be getting into, maybe they'll just give you another $20k for living expenses, because it would equally be throwing money away.

I think it's pretty unlikely that you'll bring your score up from 138 into the 160s, so serious question, why are you set on going to law school?

User avatar
totesTheGoat

Moderator
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby totesTheGoat » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”


Any ABAlaw school gives you a chance at being a lawyer. It's up to you and your work ethic.



Ah fun, another from the "follow your dreams" clan. Work ethic has nothing to do with your admissions decision. Ideally, OP will put themselves in a position where they don't have to hustle to get a decent outcome from law school. Going to a school where you need to exert superhuman work ethic to get a decent job is idiotic.

OP, the fact that your school is getting paid for is a great thing! It takes a bunch of pressure off of your decision. There's no balancing massive cost against quality of outcome for you.

I highly recommend you retake the LSAT and study hard to get in the 160s. It's going to take a while, but it'll get you into a class of schools that you can't even sniff with a 138.

Also, I second JohnnieSockran's question (even though I don't share in his bluntness). 2.6/138 screams "not a good fit for law school", do you have a reason why you want to do law?

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1599
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby albanach » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”


Any ABAlaw school gives you a chance at being a lawyer. It's up to you and your work ethic.


The problem with this mentality is that a JD qualifies you for little other than being a lawyer. So if you don't pass the bar or if you do and don't find a job as a lawyer, then those three years and hundreds of thousands of dollars were wasted. In those circumstances just about any other academic qualification would have more value at less cost.

User avatar
totesTheGoat

Moderator
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby totesTheGoat » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”


Any ABAlaw school gives you a chance at being a lawyer. It's up to you and your work ethic.

Having “a chance” at being a lawyer doesn’t necessarily make a school worth attending. What matters is how big that chance is and how much it costs. Most people aren’t going to want to spend a lot of money on, say, a 5% chance to be “a lawyer” - most are going to want a better chance, and at being some specific kind of lawyer.


That's why I said ABA. People gave me flack for my decision but a good portion still becomes lawyers.


Here is why that is shit advice. If OP follows their dreams like you suggest and goes to Southern (https://www.lstreports.com/schools/southern/), they have a 57% likelihood of passing the bar, and a 46% chance of passing the first time. That's pathetic.

They have a 45.6% chance of landing a full-time legal job on graduation. That's harrowing.

They have a 94.1% chance of paying sticker, which in their specific situation isn't the end of the world, but it's worth considering when it comes to the value they put on their benefactor's money.

They have a 1.2% chance of ending up at a law firm with 50+ attorneys, and a 13.1% chance of ending up at any law firm at all.

OP could spend 8 months studying their ass off, get the score up in the mid-160s, and have a fighting chance (https://mylsn.info/8orkpv/) at places like Emory, UGA, UF, Tulane, etc.

User avatar
Pneumonia

Gold
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Even if the advice that "a strong work ethic will get you a good job from a bad school" were correct, which it isn't, the only evidence we have of OP's work ethic is the following:

kitchen wrote: My first LSAT score was 138- I didn't study and just kind of winged it.


OP is retaking, which is good. No one should attend law school with a 138. It's a fine starting point, but it shouldn't be anyone's ending point.

Discussions of what one's "work ethic" can achieve after law school are irrelevant to this post, because people who lack the work ethic to do substantially better than a 138 once being made aware of the stakes almost by definition also lack the work ethic to succeed in law school or to build a successful legal career.

kitchen

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:13 am

Re: Low Low Low

Postby kitchen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:25 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”


Any ABAlaw school gives you a chance at being a lawyer. It's up to you and your work ethic.



Ah fun, another from the "follow your dreams" clan. Work ethic has nothing to do with your admissions decision. Ideally, OP will put themselves in a position where they don't have to hustle to get a decent outcome from law school. Going to a school where you need to exert superhuman work ethic to get a decent job is idiotic.

OP, the fact that your school is getting paid for is a great thing! It takes a bunch of pressure off of your decision. There's no balancing massive cost against quality of outcome for you.

I highly recommend you retake the LSAT and study hard to get in the 160s. It's going to take a while, but it'll get you into a class of schools that you can't even sniff with a 138.

Also, I second JohnnieSockran's question (even though I don't share in his bluntness). 2.6/138 screams "not a good fit for law school", do you have a reason why you want to do law?


Thanks you guys for replying! I've always wanted to do law. It's literally my passion. I have never wanted to do anything else. I want to Help people, Help myself, and ultimately help my community. I could try to go in all the detail for you all but its a bit much. Anyway I know my GPA is really terrible, My friend died suddenly during undergrad and I became really depressed and failed almost every class. .4 GPA for that semester. and I have been working my ass off to try and bring it up. And it has taken alot more work than I thought. I am retaking the LSAT and im trying to take prep courses every chance I can get, Including starting a scholarship in my friends name. I am trying to do other things to try and offset the horrible GPA because I know an improvement in my LSAT will give me a chance, but I know my GPA looks like I suck at school. I dont I just hit a rough patch and it took me a while to get out of it.

kitchen

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:13 am

Re: Low Low Low

Postby kitchen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 pm

JohnnieSockran wrote:
kitchen wrote:i Can not delay graduation for a few reasons. but I won't go into that. Also the only way I would "miss" anything and would havwe to stay is if I Failed any of these classes. Anyway as mentioned I will graduate in December. That 138 score was last June? I believe so in 2017. I know my LSAT will improve I am working on that. And I don't really need money, My full law school will be paid for. I would just like a little money to live off of, but it isn't really necessary


I'm not sure that's how scholarships work. I'm pretty sure if the school costs let's say $30k/year (just for an example), and you have a $5k scholarship, they automatically apply it and send you a bill for $25k instead of $30k. It's not like they give you the $5k scholarship as cash to spend.

Unless you have family willing to pay your $30k/year, and they'd be willing to give you the $5k in cash that you'd be saving them.

But then again, if your family is willing to throw away $30k/year at the schools you'd likely be getting into, maybe they'll just give you another $20k for living expenses, because it would equally be throwing money away.

I think it's pretty unlikely that you'll bring your score up from 138 into the 160s, so serious question, why are you set on going to law school?



ummm I've had scholarships for undergrad so unless they're different it goes like this

if school costs $30k and you have scholarship and whatever else many that brings is $35k all of it goes to the school, they take the $30k out and you get the $5k refund, but I've never been to law school and all so it might be different. And you are also assuming I am speaking of family money. its not my families money, but My entire school tuition will be paid for, my family does not have to shell money so the money I make now and family money would take care of living expenses, I would prefer Southern since I wouldn't have to move, but since I don't have to worry about tuition I am not opposed to going elsewhere. Also, 138 to 160, is it a lot of work? yes, can I do it absolutely, just some background: because my GPA was so Low I had to take summer classes this summer, I took 12 hours ( 4 classes) one class was physics ( A) and one was anatomy (B) also I was working 2 part-time jobs, and I took an Intersession class about a week after those ended. All I'm saying is If I put my mind to it I will do it. My 138 I hadn't studied or taken a standardized test in years No doubt in my mind it will go up. Also I answered the " why are you set on law school" in the post above

kitchen

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:13 am

Re: Low Low Low

Postby kitchen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:43 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
kitchen wrote:i Can not delay graduation for a few reasons. but I won't go into that. Also the only way I would "miss" anything and would havwe to stay is if I Failed any of these classes. Anyway as mentioned I will graduate in December. That 138 score was last June? I believe so in 2017. I know my LSAT will improve I am working on that. And I don't really need money, My full law school will be paid for. I would just like a little money to live off of, but it isn't really necessary


I got a 138 and got into law school.



I'm curious, what was your GPA?

kitchen

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:13 am

Re: Low Low Low

Postby kitchen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:54 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”


Any ABAlaw school gives you a chance at being a lawyer. It's up to you and your work ethic.

Having “a chance” at being a lawyer doesn’t necessarily make a school worth attending. What matters is how big that chance is and how much it costs. Most people aren’t going to want to spend a lot of money on, say, a 5% chance to be “a lawyer” - most are going to want a better chance, and at being some specific kind of lawyer.


That's why I said ABA. People gave me flack for my decision but a good portion still becomes lawyers.


Here is why that is shit advice. If OP follows their dreams like you suggest and goes to Southern (https://www.lstreports.com/schools/southern/), they have a 57% likelihood of passing the bar, and a 46% chance of passing the first time. That's pathetic.

They have a 45.6% chance of landing a full-time legal job on graduation. That's harrowing.

They have a 94.1% chance of paying sticker, which in their specific situation isn't the end of the world, but it's worth considering when it comes to the value they put on their benefactor's money.

They have a 1.2% chance of ending up at a law firm with 50+ attorneys, and a 13.1% chance of ending up at any law firm at all.

OP could spend 8 months studying their ass off, get the score up in the mid-160s, and have a fighting chance (https://mylsn.info/8orkpv/) at places like Emory, UGA, UF, Tulane, etc.


The bar statistics are a little off-putting, but I'm not completely Stressed about landing a job after graduation. Of course, I'll work my ass off to be in the best position regardless, but I do have multiple family friends that are lawyers, and I have already worked for a lawyer during undergrad, and when I had to leave due to scheduling conflicts He sent my resume to a few lawyers and judges. I also work part-time at a country club and more connections have been made there. and they are actually able to see me and my work ethic. So with that, I will not be as stressed about finding a job after graduation, wherever I graduate from. I don't want anyone to think that by saying this means that I just plan on slacking and not caring, I still will work my ass off, but worst case scenario if I absolutely "can't " find a job, I'll have one

Johnnybgoode92

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:21 pm

kitchen wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”


Any ABAlaw school gives you a chance at being a lawyer. It's up to you and your work ethic.

Having “a chance” at being a lawyer doesn’t necessarily make a school worth attending. What matters is how big that chance is and how much it costs. Most people aren’t going to want to spend a lot of money on, say, a 5% chance to be “a lawyer” - most are going to want a better chance, and at being some specific kind of lawyer.


That's why I said ABA. People gave me flack for my decision but a good portion still becomes lawyers.


Here is why that is shit advice. If OP follows their dreams like you suggest and goes to Southern (https://www.lstreports.com/schools/southern/), they have a 57% likelihood of passing the bar, and a 46% chance of passing the first time. That's pathetic.

They have a 45.6% chance of landing a full-time legal job on graduation. That's harrowing.

They have a 94.1% chance of paying sticker, which in their specific situation isn't the end of the world, but it's worth considering when it comes to the value they put on their benefactor's money.

They have a 1.2% chance of ending up at a law firm with 50+ attorneys, and a 13.1% chance of ending up at any law firm at all.

OP could spend 8 months studying their ass off, get the score up in the mid-160s, and have a fighting chance (https://mylsn.info/8orkpv/) at places like Emory, UGA, UF, Tulane, etc.


The bar statistics are a little off-putting, but I'm not completely Stressed about landing a job after graduation. Of course, I'll work my ass off to be in the best position regardless, but I do have multiple family friends that are lawyers, and I have already worked for a lawyer during undergrad, and when I had to leave due to scheduling conflicts He sent my resume to a few lawyers and judges. I also work part-time at a country club and more connections have been made there. and they are actually able to see me and my work ethic. So with that, I will not be as stressed about finding a job after graduation, wherever I graduate from. I don't want anyone to think that by saying this means that I just plan on slacking and not caring, I still will work my ass off, but worst case scenario if I absolutely "can't " find a job, I'll have one


This is what I meant. So long as he studies and gets his JD he'll be fine. He doesn't need a 160 and T14.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Low Low Low

Postby QContinuum » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
kitchen wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”


Any ABAlaw school gives you a chance at being a lawyer. It's up to you and your work ethic.

Having “a chance” at being a lawyer doesn’t necessarily make a school worth attending. What matters is how big that chance is and how much it costs. Most people aren’t going to want to spend a lot of money on, say, a 5% chance to be “a lawyer” - most are going to want a better chance, and at being some specific kind of lawyer.


That's why I said ABA. People gave me flack for my decision but a good portion still becomes lawyers.


Here is why that is shit advice. If OP follows their dreams like you suggest and goes to Southern (https://www.lstreports.com/schools/southern/), they have a 57% likelihood of passing the bar, and a 46% chance of passing the first time. That's pathetic.

They have a 45.6% chance of landing a full-time legal job on graduation. That's harrowing.

They have a 94.1% chance of paying sticker, which in their specific situation isn't the end of the world, but it's worth considering when it comes to the value they put on their benefactor's money.

They have a 1.2% chance of ending up at a law firm with 50+ attorneys, and a 13.1% chance of ending up at any law firm at all.

OP could spend 8 months studying their ass off, get the score up in the mid-160s, and have a fighting chance (https://mylsn.info/8orkpv/) at places like Emory, UGA, UF, Tulane, etc.


The bar statistics are a little off-putting, but I'm not completely Stressed about landing a job after graduation. Of course, I'll work my ass off to be in the best position regardless, but I do have multiple family friends that are lawyers, and I have already worked for a lawyer during undergrad, and when I had to leave due to scheduling conflicts He sent my resume to a few lawyers and judges. I also work part-time at a country club and more connections have been made there. and they are actually able to see me and my work ethic. So with that, I will not be as stressed about finding a job after graduation, wherever I graduate from. I don't want anyone to think that by saying this means that I just plan on slacking and not caring, I still will work my ass off, but worst case scenario if I absolutely "can't " find a job, I'll have one


This is what I meant. So long as he studies and gets his JD he'll be fine. He doesn't need a 160 and T14.


  • No one ITT has argued that OP needs to get into a T14. (FWIW, a 2.59/160 will not get OP into a T14.)
  • You do not know that OP will be "fine" "so long as he studies and gets his JD." The fact that OP has previously interned for a lawyer does not remotely guarantee him a legal job post-graduation. Many solos and small firms are not in a position to expand.
  • Why are you opposed to OP attending a better law school at a lower cost? If OP can get into a T2 school, isn't that better than attending a T3?

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby Dcc617 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:29 am

This is a thread where all the lawyers and law students are telling OP that their plan is bad, while some 0Ls do the opposite.

Johnnybgoode92

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:29 am

Dcc617 wrote:This is a thread where all the lawyers and law students are telling OP that their plan is bad, while some 0Ls do the opposite.


I'm not an 0L bud. He said he wants to go to school asap, he shouldn't sit out a cycle or waste his time studying the LSAT when he has the score and everything needed to go already

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby Dcc617 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:45 am

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:This is a thread where all the lawyers and law students are telling OP that their plan is bad, while some 0Ls do the opposite.


I'm not an 0L bud. He said he wants to go to school asap, he shouldn't sit out a cycle or waste his time studying the LSAT when he has the score and everything needed to go already


Well then, pal, you have even less of an excuse to be giving such bad advice. You're encouraging OP to possibly ruin his or her life. I don't know if it's malicious or if you're somehow that dense.

OP, you don't understand how legal hiring works or how the legal market is. Your options now are bad. Only a fool would take the sort of gamble you're thinking of. I understand it's your dream, but if that's really true then take the time to maximize your chance to succeed. There's no rush to start law school, especially when your options are so bad.

nixy

Bronze
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Low Low Low

Postby nixy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:13 am

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:This is a thread where all the lawyers and law students are telling OP that their plan is bad, while some 0Ls do the opposite.


I'm not an 0L bud. He said he wants to go to school asap, he shouldn't sit out a cycle or waste his time studying the LSAT when he has the score and everything needed to go already

But he doesn't have everything needed. A 138 is a terrible score (I'm not a score snob/don't believe it's 170+ or GTFO. But that's a really low score.), and it's based on no studying at all. He/she shouldn't apply until they have their best potential score.

User avatar
totesTheGoat

Moderator
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Low Low Low

Postby totesTheGoat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:49 am

kitchen wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
nixy wrote:The phrase was “a law school worth attending.”


Any ABAlaw school gives you a chance at being a lawyer. It's up to you and your work ethic.

Having “a chance” at being a lawyer doesn’t necessarily make a school worth attending. What matters is how big that chance is and how much it costs. Most people aren’t going to want to spend a lot of money on, say, a 5% chance to be “a lawyer” - most are going to want a better chance, and at being some specific kind of lawyer.


That's why I said ABA. People gave me flack for my decision but a good portion still becomes lawyers.


Here is why that is shit advice. If OP follows their dreams like you suggest and goes to Southern (https://www.lstreports.com/schools/southern/), they have a 57% likelihood of passing the bar, and a 46% chance of passing the first time. That's pathetic.

They have a 45.6% chance of landing a full-time legal job on graduation. That's harrowing.

They have a 94.1% chance of paying sticker, which in their specific situation isn't the end of the world, but it's worth considering when it comes to the value they put on their benefactor's money.

They have a 1.2% chance of ending up at a law firm with 50+ attorneys, and a 13.1% chance of ending up at any law firm at all.

OP could spend 8 months studying their ass off, get the score up in the mid-160s, and have a fighting chance (https://mylsn.info/8orkpv/) at places like Emory, UGA, UF, Tulane, etc.


The bar statistics are a little off-putting, but I'm not completely Stressed about landing a job after graduation. Of course, I'll work my ass off to be in the best position regardless, but I do have multiple family friends that are lawyers, and I have already worked for a lawyer during undergrad, and when I had to leave due to scheduling conflicts He sent my resume to a few lawyers and judges. I also work part-time at a country club and more connections have been made there. and they are actually able to see me and my work ethic. So with that, I will not be as stressed about finding a job after graduation, wherever I graduate from. I don't want anyone to think that by saying this means that I just plan on slacking and not caring, I still will work my ass off, but worst case scenario if I absolutely "can't " find a job, I'll have one



There's an active thread in one of the forums that talks about how networking isn't necessarily enough. It may be worth a read. I don't necessarily agree with the OP that networking doesn't matter, but I think you're a bit overconfident about how your connections are going to pull through for you. As I said before, you're in a different position due to having school paid for, but you're still sacrificing 3 years of hard effort and lost salary just to rely on your connections to get you a job. If they don't come through (for one of a variety of reasons) you're all sorts of screwed.



Return to “Law School FAQ?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests