How far back do BCI and FBI fingerprints go? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawapplicant2017

New

How far back do BCI and FBI fingerprints go?

Post by lawapplicant2017 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:02 pm

This inquiry doesnt really apply to me, as I have no record. However, I am friends with someone fifteen years older who has a misdemeanor from back in 1990.

He told me BCI reports only show records from last 7-10 years, but I thought no matter how old the conviction was it will show up on a BCI or FBI fingerprinting? Does anyone know the answer?

QContinuum

Re: How far back do BCI and FBI fingerprints go?

Post by QContinuum » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:16 pm

Regardless of how far back background checks reach, you (or your friend) should be completely candid in your law school application. Read the C&F-related questions very carefully. There's no need to over-disclose, but make sure to answer every question candidly and fully. Convicted murderers have been admitted to the bar, so it's extremely unlikely a 15-year-old misdemeanor would disqualify someone. OTOH, lying on your law school application - especially in the C&F section - is taken very seriously and may result (and has in the past resulted) in extremely harsh penalties when discovered (expulsion from school, denial of bar admission, disbarment).

uygiugiyugyugk

New

Re: How far back do BCI and FBI fingerprints go?

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:24 pm

lawapplicant2017 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:02 pm
This inquiry doesnt really apply to me, as I have no record. However, I am friends with someone fifteen years older who has a misdemeanor from back in 1990.

He told me BCI reports only show records from last 7-10 years, but I thought no matter how old the conviction was it will show up on a BCI or FBI fingerprinting? Does anyone know the answer?

I don't know about BCI.

FBI fingerprints are forever. Once an arrest is submitted to them with your prints, you will have an FBI number forever which is tied to your prints.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”