More sad stories from our friends at JD underground Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
neskerdoo

Silver

Re: More sad stories from our friends at JD underground

Post by neskerdoo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:03 am

this answers my question of whether to buy into a big name school, or excel in a smaller, local program.
it does? what is the answer?

nellie06

New

Post by nellie06 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:12 am

The answer is making top 10 percent at thomas cooley law school...I'm sure they do well in biglaw lmao

Darth Topher

New

Post by Darth Topher » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:22 am

I do not know much about this "thomas cooley" law school place, however it truly does seem as if all their statements are full of Shit!

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:17 pm

does this make anyone else want to start studying right now?

Darth Topher

New

Post by Darth Topher » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:17 pm

yes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kay777

New

Post by Kay777 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:39 pm

OK, these stories used to scare me too. But, after working in a relevent field for the last year before going to law school, here is the flip side of the coin for tier one kids: Biglaw is dying to having you. Really.

T14? If you graduate, you can get a Biglaw job. If you don't get a C (and its hard to get a C at most of the T14 schools) and you don't foam at the mouth during interviews, you will be able to get a good (read: V20) 2L position. Once you have that position, as long as you do some work and don't try to pick up partners' wives (oops!) you will get an offer.

And even if you get a few Cs at your T14, there are V30-100 firms that will be drooling over you. They still pay $160k to start. Will you get your $160K Watchell bonus? No. Will you have the 2700 billable hours/year Wachtell requrement? Also no!

T60 or so? Don't get a C. Look in a market that your school actually caters to. Then see above about picking realistic firms and not foaming at the mouth, and you will also have no problem getting a Biglaw spot. If you do get a C, go get yourself a clerkship (state judges count too) or something equally prestigious, then try again.

I'm not going to comment about anything below T60 simply because I don't know anything about it. But all of us T60 kids will be able to sell our souls to Biglaw when we graduate - don't worry!

rmyoun06

New

Post by rmyoun06 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:21 pm

Can't she just get a clerkship in Hazard County, Georgia, or be a public defender somewhere? I mean, surely someplace int he country is in need of another one.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:27 pm

living out of my boyfriend

Is she extremely tiny?

bryguy

New

Post by bryguy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:14 pm

hahaha ... wait! possum is back?! (from outter space ... )

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Well, that kinda makes me nervous . . . especially since I decided this morning if I go to Cornell, my goal GPA is a 3.0 . . .

hiphoppopotamus

New

Post by hiphoppopotamus » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Well, that kinda makes me nervous . . . especially since I decided this morning if I go to Cornell, my goal GPA is a 3.0 . . .
cornell's median is a 3.3...

so you're saying your goal is to be below median, probably closer to lower 1/4?

hiphoppopotamus

New

Post by hiphoppopotamus » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:52 pm

is it really news that non t-14 kids below the median are having trouble finding gainful employment?

and did anyone else read "mostly B's" as B's and C's, which would put this person at <3.0...

this really shouldn't be shocking at all.

bryguy

New

Post by bryguy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:23 pm

hiphoppopotamus wrote:is it really news that non t-14 kids below the median are having trouble finding gainful employment?

and did anyone else read "mostly B's" as B's and C's, which would put this person at <3.0...

this really shouldn't be shocking at all.
true ... but its still sad :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:42 pm

hiphoppopotamus wrote:

hmm . . . I didn't realize that it would put me at about the 25%. Perhaps "goal" was the wrong word. I was thinking in terms of realistic expectations there, &c. when I was considering whether or not getting knee deep in debt would be a good game plan. I didn't think that a 3.0 would be that terrible of a GPA (straight b's sounds decent?), especially for not exactly noted for their work ethic and going from a tier 3 to an ivy league. Perhaps it is, when looking at their class distribution.

But whatever the case, someone has to get a 3.0 there, and perhaps I'm the man for the job.

hiphoppopotamus

New

Post by hiphoppopotamus » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:28 pm

there could certainly be worse places to be below the median...

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:52 pm

Kay777 wrote: T60 or so? Don't get a C. Look in a market that your school actually caters to. Then see above about picking realistic firms and not foaming at the mouth, and you will also have no problem getting a Biglaw spot. If you do get a C, go get yourself a clerkship (state judges count too) or something equally prestigious, then try again.
As much as I think foaming at the mouth is the explanation for a significant portion of failure among first time job seekers, I think you're being overly bullish on the chances of many of the students in the 15-60 range. there are only so many positions, and hiring partners at large firms are understandably wary of median students at mid to lower tier 1 schools.

invertshadow

New

Post by invertshadow » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:02 pm

Last edited by invertshadow on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:15 pm

invertshadow wrote:Does anyone else find it kind of odd how there are NO similar horror stories on the internet for grads of several TTT and FTT schools?

This particular pity story sounds like a total fluke: below average grades, no ECs, no connections. Many of the posters on jdunderground went to TTT schools in NY and actually have jobs.
Doc Review and ID firms. Not exactly the most luxe positions but you're right--this girl could almost certainly find something. Maybe she needs to lower her standards. :?

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:33 pm

i wish she identified her school and market. its not like she owes them or anything...

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:06 am

best.flame.ever.

egrubs

New

Post by egrubs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:40 am

(Just to catch up on my soon-to-be-trolling-JD-underground lingo...) What's an ID firm?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rmyoun06

New

Post by rmyoun06 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:12 am

hiphoppopotamus wrote:

Shit, man, as hard as people say law school is, my goal is just to pass.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Considering the new Federal LRAP, there is no effing reason for these people to not have jobs. Yeah, you won't be rolling in a 160k, but there are shit tons of government/PI jobs out there and you have reasonable hours and do work that doesn't make you wanna kill yourself. After ten years of paying off loans, the American taxpayers will pick up the tab. Then you can sit back and light up a fatty and smoke your cares away.

egrubs

New

Post by egrubs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:53 pm

gmail wrote:Considering the new Federal LRAP, there is no effing reason for these people to not have jobs. Yeah, you won't be rolling in a 160k, but there are shit tons of government/PI jobs out there and you have reasonable hours and do work that doesn't make you wanna kill yourself. After ten years of paying off loans, the American taxpayers will pick up the tab. Then you can sit back and light up a fatty and smoke your cares away.
Sock's blog
9:02 a.m. entry on Dec. 7, 2007
Summary: there are more lawyers graduating each year than open jobs for them to fill.
Last edited by egrubs on Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kiskadee321

New

Post by kiskadee321 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:59 pm

egrubs wrote:
gmail wrote:Considering the new Federal LRAP, there is no effing reason for these people to not have jobs. Yeah, you won't be rolling in a 160k, but there are shit tons of government/PI jobs out there and you have reasonable hours and do work that doesn't make you wanna kill yourself. After ten years of paying off loans, the American taxpayers will pick up the tab. Then you can sit back and light up a fatty and smoke your cares away.
Sock's blog
9:02 a.m. entry on Dec. 7, 2007
Summary: there are more lawyers graduating each year than open jobs for them to fill.
Did I miss something? I don't see a 9:02 entry.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”