Graduating early from undergrad? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
abelo

New

Graduating early from undergrad?

Post by abelo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:29 am

I'm a current university sophomore and I could conceivably graduate in July of 2019—my only worry about following through with this is that my law school applications would be damaged by my age / perceived immaturity. Does work experience / age really play that large of a factor in how one's application is judged? Is it worth spending another year in undergrad and waiting until 2020 to graduate?

edit: For clarity, I would be 19 when submitting applications and 20 when L1 classes started.

vwhorley

New

Re: Graduating early from undergrad?

Post by vwhorley » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 am

abelo wrote:I'm a current university sophomore and I could conceivably graduate in July of 2019—my only worry about following through with this is that my law school applications would be damaged by my age / perceived immaturity. Does work experience / age really play that large of a factor in how one's application is judged? Is it worth spending another year in undergrad and waiting until 2020 to graduate?

edit: I would be 19 when submitting applications and 20 when L1 classes started.
It's illegal for schools to consider age in their applications. That said, as someone who graduated a month after they turned 20- I highly suggest taking a year or two off just to round out your application.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:39 am

Be sure that the law schools to which you are applying understand that you will be graduating early by taking summer courses. Do not assume that law school adcomms will understand this unless it is clearly pointed out on your applications.

Law schools care most about 1) undergraduate degree 2) LSAT score 3) applicant's undergraduate GPA. Age & maturity become issues only if raised by your recommenders or by repeated disciplinary/arrest issues.

abelo

New

Post by abelo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:12 am

just to round out your application
What do you recommend I do while still in undergrad? I'm just not sure what jobs, ECs, etc. would be worth the time, I guess—I didn't think soft factors were all that important beyond the essay(s).

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:12 am

abelo wrote:
just to round out your application
What do you recommend I do while still in undergrad? I'm just not sure what jobs, ECs, etc. would be worth the time, I guess—I didn't think soft factors were all that important beyond the essay(s).
Get a job when you graduate and max out your LSAT. Your age will be less of a factor in admissions than it will be in trying to get a job. I also think it’s a bad idea to matriculate before you turn 21.

Live your life for a couple years. Find yourself. You can take two years off and still start law school at 22.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:57 am

I graduated a year early from college; nobody cared for admissions purposes.

As far as getting a job coming out of law school, there is definitely value in having a couple years of work experience before hitting the legal market.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 pm

Mullens wrote: Live your life for a couple years. Find yourself. You can take two years off and still start law school at 22.
This. You'll find yourself many times more prepared for law school after working a real job for a couple years and figuring out what you like and don't like in life. If you do it right, it also helps you stick out from the crowd. KJDs are a dime a dozen, and interviewers have seen every permutation of law review and extracurricular possible without any real work experience. The resumes that stick out are the ones that include real work experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”