Accommodations for the LSAT

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jbp15860

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Accommodations for the LSAT

Postby jbp15860 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm taking the LSAT in June and I'm going to request an accommodation. I have full blown Tourette's syndrome, which is Tourette's with co-morbid disorders, in my case, OCD and ADHD. I was diagnosed at 7 years old (32 now) and have all the documentation. I am alarmed, however, because I've read that they often deny accommodations and I even read of a student in Minnesota with Tourette's who was denied. He has since filed a law suit. My issue is two fold: In stressful situations where one is compelled to be quiet, tics get worse. This means that more than half of my mental energy goes to concentrating on not making noises. It's unbelievably hard to concentrate when it takes so much mental energy to hold back my tics, and it creates high anxiety. In addition, I do not think it's fair for the other test takers who are in an equally stressful environment. The application asks for previous instances of accommodation but I never asked for them for the GRE or ACT because I just never felt it was as important. In both cases I knew exactly what schools I was going to and the tests were more bureaucratic. The LSAT is a different story, though, as we all know. The test literally makes or breaks one, not to mention the scholarship element. Anyway, my question is for anyone who has had experience trying to get accommodations or knows anyone who has? Extra time doesn't interest me... I need my own room, if that's possible. Thank y'all.

User avatar
xn3345

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Accommodations for the LSAT

Postby xn3345 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:12 am

Super useful pro tip. APPLY FOR ACCOMMODATIONS ON THE GRE FIRST. There is no requirement that you actually sit for it. The GRE governing body is far, far looser with accommodations than LSAC. A letter granting accommodations from the GRE is basically sufficient for LSAC to feel legally compelled to grant your request. This should solve your problem.


FWIW, you'll probably get accommodations even without the above tomfoolery.

StephArizona

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:14 pm

Re: Accommodations for the LSAT

Postby StephArizona » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:27 am

Yes I just helped one of my students get a private room. If you have all of the documentation you'll be fine. The key is to make sure you fill everything out and for extra safety have your doctor confirm your requests on the justification/explanation option on the statement of need form. A lot of people with documentation skip this step, as they don't think it's needed and only send in their own statements of need. However, it's very useful to be approved. Be sure to provide all historical information, his documentation went back to age 13 and then another assessment at 21 and then one of his doctor filled out the SoN for this request. When he applied last year he didn't include proper documentation and did not includ a statement of need from his doctor or clearly explain why he needed what he needed that was current. You also need to be clear as to why you need what you need and tie it back to the documentation. They are strict, but applying early and sending everything at once seems to be the key to accommodations being approved. Plus if there is push back you can send additional documentation.

vwhorley

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Accommodations for the LSAT

Postby vwhorley » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:39 am

jbp15860 wrote:I'm taking the LSAT in June and I'm going to request an accommodation. I have full blown Tourette's syndrome, which is Tourette's with co-morbid disorders, in my case, OCD and ADHD. I was diagnosed at 7 years old (32 now) and have all the documentation. I am alarmed, however, because I've read that they often deny accommodations and I even read of a student in Minnesota with Tourette's who was denied. He has since filed a law suit. My issue is two fold: In stressful situations where one is compelled to be quiet, tics get worse. This means that more than half of my mental energy goes to concentrating on not making noises. It's unbelievably hard to concentrate when it takes so much mental energy to hold back my tics, and it creates high anxiety. In addition, I do not think it's fair for the other test takers who are in an equally stressful environment. The application asks for previous instances of accommodation but I never asked for them for the GRE or ACT because I just never felt it was as important. In both cases I knew exactly what schools I was going to and the tests were more bureaucratic. The LSAT is a different story, though, as we all know. The test literally makes or breaks one, not to mention the scholarship element. Anyway, my question is for anyone who has had experience trying to get accommodations or knows anyone who has? Extra time doesn't interest me... I need my own room, if that's possible. Thank y'all.


So LSAC actually was sued by the DOJ I believe in 2014 because they were denying accommodations to people who needed them. Since they lost that lawsuit, they have become much more accepting of accommodation requests from my understanding. I also never received accommodations for another test because I have never taken the SAT or GRE (I was homeschooled and transferred so no need). I'm planning on filling out all paperwork they give me and having my doctor sign off as well, but you should be OK

Law 202x

New
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: Accommodations for the LSAT

Postby Law 202x » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:09 am

is it possible you could just start screaming out the word "Fuck!" on test day?

jbp15860

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Accommodations for the LSAT

Postby jbp15860 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Law 202x wrote:is it possible you could just start screaming out the word "Fuck!" on test day?

The cussing is called "coprolalia" and it's actually really rare among people with Tourette's... less than 10%. I was unfortunate enough to have it, though, when I was very young, but since that is not an issue. My vocal tics are more noises, not words. Though sometimes I will develop a stutter in the form of echolalia. Tics change and shift throughout the years. There are some that have been with me since I was 7, and then there is a revolving door of tics that come and go over time.

jbp15860

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Accommodations for the LSAT

Postby jbp15860 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:31 pm

anonlaw2017 wrote:I was able to get accomadations to take a masterbation break at the end of every 35 minute section.


I would think learning how to properly spell would precede taking the LSAT.

marryJLP92

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Accommodations for the LSAT

Postby marryJLP92 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:00 am

Does anyone here know whether if you got an ETS approval for accommodations for the GRE that this automatically qualifies you for the same accommodations on the LSAT? Is the ETS approval letter sufficient?

Law 202x

New
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: Accommodations for the LSAT

Postby Law 202x » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:23 am

Can I bring an emotional support peacock to the LSAT?

BigTex1980

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Re: Accommodations for the LSAT

Postby BigTex1980 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:24 am

Law 202x wrote:Can I bring an emotional support peacock to the LSAT?


this is awesome




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests