How to approach denying schools this application cycle with the intention of re-applying next cycle with updated scores? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
abg591

New

How to approach denying schools this application cycle with the intention of re-applying next cycle with updated scores?

Post by abg591 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:35 pm

I'm most likely going to be aiming for a higher LSAT score and re-applying in the fall, but I've gotten into some great schools this cycle that I'd like to seriously consider next year as well, if I am lucky enough to get admitted again. I would accept this year, but I just can't afford to take out the amount of loans that I'd need to when I know I can raise my LSAT score and be in substantially less debt.

What's a good way of going about communicating to these schools that I am withdrawing for this year, not because I don't want to attend, but because I want a second chance at merit aid in the next cycle?

bretby

Bronze

Re: How to approach denying schools this application cycle with the intention of re-applying next cycle with updated sco

Post by bretby » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:56 pm

abg591 wrote:I'm most likely going to be aiming for a higher LSAT score and re-applying in the fall, but I've gotten into some great schools this cycle that I'd like to seriously consider next year as well, if I am lucky enough to get admitted again. I would accept this year, but I just can't afford to take out the amount of loans that I'd need to when I know I can raise my LSAT score and be in substantially less debt.

What's a good way of going about communicating to these schools that I am withdrawing for this year, not because I don't want to attend, but because I want a second chance at merit aid in the next cycle?
They won't care. I applied to, was given scholarships by, and then turned down some schools three times in my path to deciding to go to law school.

abg591

New

Re: How to approach denying schools this application cycle with the intention of re-applying next cycle with updated sco

Post by abg591 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:58 pm

bretby wrote:
abg591 wrote:I'm most likely going to be aiming for a higher LSAT score and re-applying in the fall, but I've gotten into some great schools this cycle that I'd like to seriously consider next year as well, if I am lucky enough to get admitted again. I would accept this year, but I just can't afford to take out the amount of loans that I'd need to when I know I can raise my LSAT score and be in substantially less debt.

They won't care. I applied to, was given scholarships by, and then turned down some schools three times in my path to deciding to go to law school.
That's reassuring! Can you give me a sense of the language you used when turning down those schools? Not sure how to phrase it so I don't accidentally burn any bridges, but I guess I may just be over-thinking!

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:03 pm

abg591 wrote:
bretby wrote:

That's reassuring! Can you give me a sense of the language you used when turning down those schools? Not sure how to phrase it so I don't accidentally burn any bridges, but I guess I may just be over-thinking!
I don't think I did anything in particular. Some schools send you a survey of where you applied, were accepted, and are matriculating. I filled those out, but never communicated beyond that with Admissions. The one exception was when I interviewed for a full scholarship that I ended up turning down. I told them that I decided to go another direction because of family reasons (which was true), but I was no more specific than that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”