Non K-JDs: When to give notice and when to quit? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
DorkothyParker

Bronze

Re: Non K-JDs: When to give notice and when to quit?

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:27 pm

[quote="Bush v. Gorgeous]
Oh god DP I feel the same way re: the house. My biggest source of stress. I need to get a realtor in there ASAP to tell us what we need to do/fix vs. what we can leave. Would you consider renting short term if you sell early? I'm trying to think of all the logistics of that - I feel like we have to list in April. It makes me want a third cup of coffee.[/quote]

I work in banking so I am trying to get the lowdown from a MLO I know and also see about a recommendation on a solid realtor. The one we used to buy the house was fine, but I don't think he would be straight with me in regards to what I need to do to get the house in good shape. I feel like he would recommend $10k in upgrades knowing that certain things don't have such a great effect on actual sell value. I mean, we put in $10k, it raises value 7K and we are out 3k and he is up $400.

I feel guilty, but I almost would rather sell as-is to a California investor (this is totally a thing in my up and coming city) and save myself the headache.

We've only been in the house 4 years, but bought it almost upside down at the tail end of the recession so it's gone up in value tremendously since then.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Re: Non K-JDs: When to give notice and when to quit?

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:44 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:[quote="Bush v. Gorgeous]
Oh god DP I feel the same way re: the house. My biggest source of stress. I need to get a realtor in there ASAP to tell us what we need to do/fix vs. what we can leave. Would you consider renting short term if you sell early? I'm trying to think of all the logistics of that - I feel like we have to list in April. It makes me want a third cup of coffee.

I work in banking so I am trying to get the lowdown from a MLO I know and also see about a recommendation on a solid realtor. The one we used to buy the house was fine, but I don't think he would be straight with me in regards to what I need to do to get the house in good shape. I feel like he would recommend $10k in upgrades knowing that certain things don't have such a great effect on actual sell value. I mean, we put in $10k, it raises value 7K and we are out 3k and he is up $400.

I feel guilty, but I almost would rather sell as-is to a California investor (this is totally a thing in my up and coming city) and save myself the headache.

We've only been in the house 4 years, but bought it almost upside down at the tail end of the recession so it's gone up in value tremendously since then.[/quote][/quote]

Sounds like you are in a decent position! I think we've had ours 5 years...I can't say the value has gone up much though. Maybe the usual 5% or so.

I feel 100% the same about our old realtor. I got a recommendation from my hair stylist...seems random but I think when business people refer each other to potential clients there is *hopefully* some kind of honor code in place? Best of luck with the sale process...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”