Non K-JDs: When to give notice and when to quit? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Bronze

Non K-JDs: When to give notice and when to quit?

Post by 38981928 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:35 pm

I definitely need to visit several law schools before I can make a decision, but I think it'll be pretty obvious that something is up if I'm gone for a day or two almost every week in March and April (I have PTO so that part of it shouldn't be much of an issue). My boss likes me a lot and has made it clear that she appreciates me / sees me as an essential member of our team, so I don't think it would be horrible to give notice early March and give her time to hire someone over the course of several months and help train the new person. We have several big things happening in the office in June/July (we often have to hire a temp or two and these things are arguably the most important things our department does yearly), but I definitely want to leave by June to get a few weeks of R&R before law school.

Is there some big horrible thing I'm missing in my potential plan? When do people normally quit and how much notice would be appropriate? I don't want to burn bridges.

rowdy

Bronze

Re: Non K-JDs: When to give notice and when to quit?

Post by rowdy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:44 pm

38981928 wrote:I definitely need to visit several law schools before I can make a decision, but I think it'll be pretty obvious that something is up if I'm gone for a day or two almost every week in March and April (I have PTO so that part of it shouldn't be much of an issue). My boss likes me a lot and has made it clear that she appreciates me / sees me as an essential member of our team, so I don't think it would be horrible to give notice early March and give her time to hire someone over the course of several months and help train the new person. We have several big things happening in the office in June/July (we often have to hire a temp or two and these things are arguably the most important things our department does yearly), but I definitely want to leave by June to get a few weeks of R&R before law school.

Is there some big horrible thing I'm missing in my potential plan? When do people normally quit and how much notice would be appropriate? I don't want to burn bridges.
I gave my employer a super long lead time, almost a year. I work in a hard-to-replace position in our market, so it helped them adjust how they wanted me to spend my remaining time and make plans for replacing me. It is entirely dependent on your personal situation though.

JamesBlahDeBlah

Bronze

Post by JamesBlahDeBlah » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:51 pm

You tell them only when you are comfortable with the potential of being let go immediately. This depends on the culture you're working in, but you have to plan around the reality that they might not want an employee who already has their foot out the door hanging around. If you are relying on that money until actually leaving for school, don't tell them.
Last edited by JamesBlahDeBlah on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gator19

New

Post by Gator19 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:07 pm

JamesBlahDeBlah wrote:You tell them only when you are comfortable with the potential of being let go immediately. This depends on the culture you're working in, but you have to plan around the reality that they might not want an employee who already has their foot out the door hanging around. If you are relying on that money until actually leaving for school, don't tell them.
I agree completely with this. I plan on leaving next year for law school and I have talked about it with my boss. I work in a law firm so I figured it was something he would appreciate. I do sincerely believe he wants me to go onto law school but I have screwed myself over from any large bonuses and pay raises. Basically, they're not going to invest in me knowing that I am leaving. At any time, they might just tell me to hit the road since I am going leave anyways. I wish I would have kept my mouth shut. If I was in your shoes, plan way ahead on any law school visits, chalk it up as vacation and what you do is none of their business. Then a month before you leave (even though industry standard is 2-weeks), resign and you'll be okay with whatever they decide to do. Say, you're willing to assist with training etc. etc.

bosshawg

New

Post by bosshawg » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 pm

38981928 wrote:I definitely need to visit several law schools before I can make a decision, but I think it'll be pretty obvious that something is up if I'm gone for a day or two almost every week in March and April (I have PTO so that part of it shouldn't be much of an issue). My boss likes me a lot and has made it clear that she appreciates me / sees me as an essential member of our team, so I don't think it would be horrible to give notice early March and give her time to hire someone over the course of several months and help train the new person. We have several big things happening in the office in June/July (we often have to hire a temp or two and these things are arguably the most important things our department does yearly), but I definitely want to leave by June to get a few weeks of R&R before law school.

Definitely depends on your situation. I let my team know a couple weeks ago, but I also plan on leaving in May and our team is so understaffed I knew there was no chance they'd let me go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Gator19 wrote:
JamesBlahDeBlah wrote:You tell them only when you are comfortable with the potential of being let go immediately. This depends on the culture you're working in, but you have to plan around the reality that they might not want an employee who already has their foot out the door hanging around. If you are relying on that money until actually leaving for school, don't tell them.
I agree completely with this. I plan on leaving next year for law school and I have talked about it with my boss. I work in a law firm so I figured it was something he would appreciate. I do sincerely believe he wants me to go onto law school but I have screwed myself over from any large bonuses and pay raises. Basically, they're not going to invest in me knowing that I am leaving. At any time, they might just tell me to hit the road since I am going leave anyways. I wish I would have kept my mouth shut. If I was in your shoes, plan way ahead on any law school visits, chalk it up as vacation and what you do is none of their business. Then a month before you leave (even though industry standard is 2-weeks), resign and you'll be okay with whatever they decide to do. Say, you're willing to assist with training etc. etc.
This is the part that's made me nervous. I know how much my boss likes me, but at the same time the company overall has a spotty track record and no discernible pattern of what they do. Some people who try to resign with a few weeks' notice are told to leave immediately even though they're not going to a competitor, whereas some were given all the time they requested and were even told they can stay a few weeks longer if they want. There seems to be no rhyme or reason (nor any correlation with the person's direct supervisor because it's the COO who has a disproportionate amount of influence on things like that and apparently he takes certain people resigning personally for whatever reason).

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:29 pm

38981928 wrote:
Gator19 wrote:
This is the part that's made me nervous. I know how much my boss likes me, but at the same time the company overall has a spotty track record and no discernible pattern of what they do. Some people who try to resign with a few weeks' notice are told to leave immediately even though they're not going to a competitor, whereas some were given all the time they requested and were even told they can stay a few weeks longer if they want. There seems to be no rhyme or reason (nor any correlation with the person's direct supervisor because it's the COO who has a disproportionate amount of influence on things like that and apparently he takes certain people resigning personally for whatever reason).
I think that's the answer to your question then. I've already told my boss but that's because I know I'm going nowhere until I choose to walk out. If you don't KNOW that, you should wait and just give your 2 weeks notice as is required. So unfortunate, but you have to do what's best for yourself when your employer puts you in that position.

I'm probably working through July 31 because money, but I'm sure if you can, giving yourself a bit more time to move/settle in is always nice. In my dream world I'd work through June 30.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
38981928 wrote:
Gator19 wrote:
I think that's the answer to your question then. I've already told my boss but that's because I know I'm going nowhere until I choose to walk out. If you don't KNOW that, you should wait and just give your 2 weeks notice as is required. So unfortunate, but you have to do what's best for yourself when your employer puts you in that position.

I'm probably working through July 31 because money, but I'm sure if you can, giving yourself a bit more time to move/settle in is always nice. In my dream world I'd work through June 30.
Do you think I would be burning a bridge if I did that though? It's my first full-time job after college and I interned here my senior year too so maybe I'm like weirdly attached or something. My mom has told me that the company overall would give zero fucks to let me go if it really came down to it so I don't owe them anything, but at the same time I know I've gotten certain perks not normally offered to other people (e.g. working from home some days, getting PTO "returned" to me during weather events that caused the office to shut down, bonus bracket above what it normally would be for my position) because I do well at my job and my boss and the higher ups like me. I don't know if those things they've done are indicative of them being nice and not kicking me out immediately if I quit *or* if it means they're more like to be extra salty about me leaving after how much they've invested in me.

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm

As others have said, I think a lot of it depends on the relationship you have with your boss/coworkers, and the ease with which you believe you can discuss your plans with them.

I have a good relationship with the people at my office, so I recently asked for a meeting to tell them about my plans. In my own experience, they appreciated the transparency and will be planning accordingly for my departure (we also have big things coming up in July). I know this might not apply to everyone, but if you think you are in a similar (and favorable) environment, your boss might welcome the breathing room to look for and train your eventual replacement. In fact, if the relationship is good, they might wonder why you didn't give them more than 2 weeks notice (or whatever timeframe you choose) and a delay might work out against you.

That being said, if you think they'll want to fire you or speed up your departure if you bring up the topic, then by all means delay that discussion as much as possible whilst still being super professional.
Do you think you might be able to have an informal talk with your boss on this without the COO knowing? You might be able to give an informal heads up to your boss, then officially resign when it's time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:47 pm

38981928 wrote:I definitely need to visit several law schools before I can make a decision, but I think it'll be pretty obvious that something is up if I'm gone for a day or two almost every week in March and April (I have PTO so that part of it shouldn't be much of an issue).
Unless they already know you want to go to law school and are familiar with/care about law school application timelines, most employers won’t think anything about these absences.

Now if you know they’re super strict about how much time you take and why, maybe it will matter, but I think you might be overestimating the impact of your law school visits.

agnes_bean

New

Post by agnes_bean » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Unless they already know you want to go to law school and are familiar with/care about law school application timelines, most employers won’t think anything about these absences.
Seconding this. I mean, law school visits normally happen around the weekend, and taking a bunch of long weekends rather than one big holiday is something people do a lot. It's pretty easy to make up excuses about family being in town, ski trips, etc. if you have to.

As other people said, when to give notice all comes down to your relationship with your boss/company. I gave several months notice, but that's because I knew they would treat me well (we'd had several people leave with very little notice to go to a competitor because they didn't like the management, so I knew they'd be grateful for the notice and the fact that my leaving was because I wanted to switch careers for unrelated reasons). AlPastor's suggestion of talking to your direct supervisor informally and either holding off on telling the COO (or having the direct supervisor figure out when/how to tell the COO) sounds like a good one, if you trust them to have your back.

LiveJustly390

New

Post by LiveJustly390 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:29 pm

I’m up in the air about when I want to leave. It will probably be July 31 though because as someone said, money. I think that’s good enough because I can start packing on the weekends ahead of that date and then move the week after I leave. I’m not sure though because it would be nice to have a good 2-3 weeks of not working. It might depend on when the law school I end up choosing starts and when orientation is, etc, but the earliest I’d leave is mid July I think.

as far as when to give notice, I’m not sure I’m much help because when I was hired they knew I’d be leaving in a few years for law school. I was very transparent about that upfront. I work at a law firm and my position is one with lots of turnover for recent grads who want to go to law school. so it’s not a huge deal as long as you commit to working for them for a minimum of two years.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:50 pm

rowdy wrote:

I gave my employer a super long lead time, almost a year. I work in a hard-to-replace position in our market, so it helped them adjust how they wanted me to spend my remaining time and make plans for replacing me. It is entirely dependent on your personal situation though.
Ditto. Now I have the luxury of hiring my replacement, too. It's better to be upfront and let them know your intentions sooner rather than later so they can prepare for your departure and part on solid terms. If you want to do R&R, do R&R. You're giving plenty of notice and you don't really *owe* your employers that time. They have months to figure out a solution to your absence, ya know?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 pm

My boss knew when I was studying for the LSAT. And I had him write me a LOR.
There is a general understanding that I was be gone in the summer, but because I don't rightly know my precise timeline, having to sell my house and all that, I am holding off on giving official notice until I at least put in a seat deposit.

I am in a management position and I know of two very qualified internal candidates at other branch locations who can slide into my job fairly smoothly. (And one underling in my branch who I don't think is ready but I know will apply anyway.)

Actually, I think selling our house will be a greater influence on when I leave my job and when we move. Yikes!

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 am

DorkothyParker wrote:My boss knew when I was studying for the LSAT. And I had him write me a LOR.
There is a general understanding that I was be gone in the summer, but because I don't rightly know my precise timeline, having to sell my house and all that, I am holding off on giving official notice until I at least put in a seat deposit.

I am in a management position and I know of two very qualified internal candidates at other branch locations who can slide into my job fairly smoothly. (And one underling in my branch who I don't think is ready but I know will apply anyway.)

Actually, I think selling our house will be a greater influence on when I leave my job and when we move. Yikes!
Oh god DP I feel the same way re: the house. My biggest source of stress. I need to get a realtor in there ASAP to tell us what we need to do/fix vs. what we can leave. Would you consider renting short term if you sell early? I'm trying to think of all the logistics of that - I feel like we have to list in April. It makes me want a third cup of coffee.

vwhorley

New

Post by vwhorley » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:17 am

I’m planning on attending in Fall 2019 and my Department is already aware. I’m also in a difficult position to replace and things are about to get super busy with the elections, so I think it’s better they have it in their heads now and it helps with hiring decisions. I’m planning on actually leaving my job probably the end of July before school starts- but it just depends on money and rent situations since my lease ends in August. I agree with everyone it just depends on your situation. If you’re on good terms which it sounds like you are, and have a casual environment you can always just start bringing it up in conversations. That’s esentially what I did.

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:03 am

38981928 wrote:I definitely need to visit several law schools before I can make a decision, but I think it'll be pretty obvious that something is up if I'm gone for a day or two almost every week in March and April
ASWs are largely big recruitment-fests and are really quite unnecessary to the law school decision. Sure they're fun, but if you have a job and don't feel strongly about going I wouldn't break your neck trying to make it to many of them unless you are local already.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:07 am

EnderWiggin wrote:
38981928 wrote:I definitely need to visit several law schools before I can make a decision, but I think it'll be pretty obvious that something is up if I'm gone for a day or two almost every week in March and April
ASWs are largely big recruitment-fests and are really quite unnecessary to the law school decision. Sure they're fun, but if you have a job and don't feel strongly about going I wouldn't break your neck trying to make it to many of them unless you are local already.
Not sure if I agree with that. ASWs are helpful because they allow you to meet your potential classmates and get a feel for the kind of person that school likes to admit.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:13 am

EnderWiggin wrote:
I have two T10 full rides and other competitive offers already (and I'm hoping some more will come through) at schools that I really like, so I feel like I can't make a decision without visiting. The finances and the PTO aren't as much of a problem as much as how it would look. I know it's none of my coworkers' business what I do with my time off, but it's a pretty gossipy office and everyone knows everyone's business.

I'll consider talking to my boss but while I think she would try to keep her mouth shut, she can be a bit of a blabber mouth especially when alcohol is involved (which it often is due to the nature of our business where wining and dining people is a big thing). I'm pretty comfortable with finances right now so if I were forced to leave I could do that, but I don't like having big resume gaps where I'll basically be doing a whole lot of nothing even though I'm about to change my career path.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dietcoked

Bronze

Post by dietcoked » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 am

littlewing67 wrote:I’m in the same situation EXCEPT I never told my boss I was interested in going to law School for the fall and I know she won’t take it well. Ugh.

Last position I had, I was very upfront about my plans, but when I wanted to leave and decided to study full time for the LSAT, my boss took it sooo personally and begged me to stay. It made me so uncomfortable and I didn’t want a repeat situation. My boss was very bitter/upset about it even though I gave 2 weeks.

I’m probably just going to tell my new boss 2 weeks before I want to leave in like June/July and just leave it as I’m moving to a different state or something to that effect. If she knows I’m leaving to law school it will just be this whole snow ball of why I never mentioned it to begin with.
Oh my god, we are in the same position. My boss definitely wants me to stay and makes a point of telling me I can’t leave. I really like her but ~these are my dreams~.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:
Not sure if I agree with that. ASWs are helpful because they allow you to meet your potential classmates and get a feel for the kind of person that school likes to admit.
Helpful, yes. Necessary, no. If you're approaching the law school decision as most people without a pot of money in a back room should be (as some function of cost + job outcomes), then the type of people the school admits is going to be a secondary consideration. The "fit" factor is relevant, sure, but I don't buy that it should be dispositive in most circumstances. Plus, traveling to several ASWs can be very expensive even with help from the schools.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:40 am

dietcoked wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:I’m in the same situation EXCEPT I never told my boss I was interested in going to law School for the fall and I know she won’t take it well. Ugh.

Last position I had, I was very upfront about my plans, but when I wanted to leave and decided to study full time for the LSAT, my boss took it sooo personally and begged me to stay. It made me so uncomfortable and I didn’t want a repeat situation. My boss was very bitter/upset about it even though I gave 2 weeks.

I’m probably just going to tell my new boss 2 weeks before I want to leave in like June/July and just leave it as I’m moving to a different state or something to that effect. If she knows I’m leaving to law school it will just be this whole snow ball of why I never mentioned it to begin with.
Oh my god, we are in the same position. My boss definitely wants me to stay and makes a point of telling me I can’t leave. I really like her but ~these are my dreams~.
Yeah lol this is part of the reason why I'm nervous about leaving. I know my boss loves me and is supportive, but she tells literally everyone that I'm SOOOO essential to our team and everything would fall apart without me and she hopes I never quit (I think my team members are great and a lot of this is just her exaggerating to make me feel ~special~). She makes a big show of concern when I'm even sick because she's genuinely terrified of me not being in the office unplanned :shock: All my special perks are because they want to make me happy here and not want to leave, so that's why I don't know if they'll be bitter when I announce my plans.

dietcoked

Bronze

Post by dietcoked » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 am

38981928 wrote:
dietcoked wrote:

Yeah lol this is part of the reason why I'm nervous about leaving. I know my boss loves me and is supportive, but she tells literally everyone that I'm SOOOO essential to our team and everything would fall apart without me and she hopes I never quit (I think my team members are great and a lot of this is just her exaggerating to make me feel ~special~). She makes a big show of concern when I'm even sick because she's genuinely terrified of me not being in the office unplanned :shock: All my special perks are because they want to make me happy here and not want to leave, so that's why I don't know if they'll be bitter when I announce my plans.
Yea absolutely. Part of the reason why I’m not asking for a standing desk is because I know if they give it to me they expect me to stay. Sigh ...

I think I’ll tell her one month before I decide to leave. And I’ll probably leave end of July.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 am

EnderWiggin wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:
Helpful, yes. Necessary, no. If you're approaching the law school decision as most people without a pot of money in a back room should be (as some function of cost + job outcomes), then the type of people the school admits is going to be a secondary consideration. The "fit" factor is relevant, sure, but I don't buy that it should be dispositive in most circumstances. Plus, traveling to several ASWs can be very expensive even with help from the schools.
I completely agree. Some people are lucky enough to have several comparable options, and they are the ones who should be going to ASWs.

I should note that some schools also have travel stipends in order to visit, so take that into consideration as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”