Genuine Advice Sought Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

Genuine Advice Sought

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Alright, here is the situation. I'm 24 years old and will be finishing up my bachelor's degree in May of 2018 (switching majors while taking some time off from school). With that being said, I am taking 13 courses between this Fall semester and the Spring semester coming up ALL while studying for the LSAT in December. I purchased the 10 week LawSchooli study guide and I'm not going to lie - I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. I know the importance of the LSAT but for me, personally, it takes on a whole new meaning. Due to screwing up early on in my academic career which will result in a poor LSAC GPA - I must nail the LSAT. With that being said, I'm hoping that with an LSAT of 170+ plus an enormous upward trend in grades as I have gotten nothing but A's as of late and will continue to do so in this Fall semester as well as the Spring semester, I will have the possibility of getting into a T14 school or a regional school with $$$. That is why I ask of all you - Should I take the LSAT in December with hopes of getting into law school beginning next year? OR should I aim for the June LSAT which will allow me to take my time studying and grasp the material better? The latter option will mean I am starting law school at the age of 25 which kind of bothers me..

I appreciate any advice you can offer!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Genuine Advice Sought

Post by UVA2B » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:50 pm

25 is not too late to start law school, even if it might feel that way. And if you're experiencing angst over stacking the LSAT on top of finishing your degree, then you should absolutely wait a cycle and get your application as strong as it can be.

Focus on your degree first, then focus your efforts on either a June LSAT or even a September LSAT. Get to the point where you're comfortably getting scores that will get you what you want on the LSAT (T14s or regional with $$$).

Getting into law school can be stressful, but it is much worse if you put a time stressor on top of it. And you want to start this career the right way, meaning you want to maximize your options available to you, regardless of how quickly you start it. You're much better off graduating, studying the LSAT and getting that 170+, and applying broadly so you can compare your options based on cost and goals.

ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Hey! Thanks for your input. I really do value it.

I am leaning towards the June LSAT and then I’ll go from there. There is no way I’ll be remotely close to ready for the December LSAT as I have been rushing my studies and still am trying to grasp the material -_- The June LSAT gives me an abundance of time to study as well as allowing me to excel in my undergrad courses still.

I know splitter-stats are hard to come by. I’m also well aware of the lsn numbers. With that being said, do you know any T14 schools that are splitter friendly? Also, what about T25 schools that have a strong alumni network that could open big law possibilities?

Thanks!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 pm

GULC, NU, UVA, and Michigan are the most splitter-friendly T14 generally. WUSTL is your best splitter-friendly outside the T14 that places a significant portion of its class in Biglaw (but you should realize that it's in no way a guarantee, and you should be focused on what region you want placement in). And this is all predicated on how "splitter" you are. If you end up a 3.2/171, that's one thing. But if you're a 177/2.2, that's quite another.

There is no actual rush to start law school, even if you feel some pressure to do so. Get your UG GPA as high as you can. Get your LSAT as high as you can. Then figure out the lay of the land for law school admissions.

ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Alright, gotcha. I do appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thanks a lot!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 pm

25 isn't too old, not by a longshot. it's actually probably the mean (not median) age of incoming 1Ls.

ToLawSchoolOrNot

New

Post by ToLawSchoolOrNot » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:07 am

Pancakes3,

That definitely makes me feel better haha. Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”