(possibly) weird law school resume / extra curricular question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
tjf1

New

(possibly) weird law school resume / extra curricular question

Post by tjf1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 pm

So I know that extra curricula's aren't everything when it comes to your law school application, although I'm told they help slightly / it doesn't look to good if you have none. During high school / college years, I didn't do too much volunteering, or anything that benefited society, really. Even though being a lawyer was on my mind (as it always has been), around that time period, I was more interested in working on the media / production group that I started, and put all my energy into that.

At one point, I had artists, producers, writers, photographers, audio engineers all under me, working under my name. As this was through high school and college, we weren't "professional", but we played shows at colleges (with good turnouts) and had songs played on the local radio stations, as well as local interviews. I also sold / licensed music online through a website I set up. But, due to all of us being so young, and personal life circumstances happening, we disbanded and eventually all was lost.

(I know that block of text might be unnecessary and quite unrelated to "the law" but I wanted to give you guys some context to supplement my eventual question)

Fast forward 3 years, here I am more mature, and more of an "adult" then ever before. I'm ready to get an actual career for myself, and am starting to work on my prerequisites for law school (finishing off my bachelors, preparing for lsat, etc). The schools I'm looking at keep mentioning extra curricular activities and volunteer work. I unfortunately, have none of that.

Do you think including what I did in the past as part of my resume (as it's the only thing I've done semi worth while in my life) would hurt me or help? Or should I just think of something else to include? I don't know how law schools typically look at people with my history (media background) and I don't want them to see me as a "flip flopper" or someone who changes their mind often and reject me, but I also don't want them to think I haven't done much with my life, either.

Basically what I'm asking is, should I include that part or my life or just omit it? Or is it really not that big of a deal and am I overthinking it too much?

cavalier1138

Re: (possibly) weird law school resume / extra curricular question

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:06 pm

No one gives a damn. Real work experience beats school extracurriculars every day of the week. You have that experience, and if you're concerned that people won't understand the transition to law school, then use your PS/addenda to explain.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:33 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Your media background is not detrimental to your application at all. I wouldn't go as far as saying that it is a definite plus, but it makes you unique and interesting (or at least more so than someone from the burbs who went to a state school and majored in political science). But, like the other posters have said, your UGPA and LSAT score are the most important factors for admission. The rest is just gravy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”