How much do 1L Summer Associates at a firm make? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Kathy

New

How much do 1L Summer Associates at a firm make?

Post by Kathy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:38 pm

Just curious....how much on average do 1Ls from T10 schools make if they are lucky enough to find a summer job in a firm?

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Re: How much do 1L Summer Associates at a firm make?

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Kathy wrote:Just curious....how much on average do 1Ls from T10 schools make if they are lucky enough to find a summer job in a firm?
Depends, but ranging from like 2-3K per week

VaultBound

Bronze

Post by VaultBound » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:41 pm

iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote:
Kathy wrote:Just curious....how much on average do 1Ls from T10 schools make if they are lucky enough to find a summer job in a firm?
Depends, but ranging from like 2-3K per week
They pay pee-ons that much after 1L?!

nonunique

New

Post by nonunique » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:42 pm

You can search the NALP Directory to see what specific firms pay their summer associates.

nonunique

New

Post by nonunique » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:42 pm

VaultBound wrote: They pay pee-ons that much after 1L?!
In a word, yes.

Note that it is not easy to get such a 1L gig.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:50 pm

nonunique wrote:
VaultBound wrote: They pay pee-ons that much after 1L?!
In a word, yes.

Note that it is not easy to get such a 1L gig.
Yeah. But you can expect that same amount the year following if you get a Summer Associate gig then. It's a good deal really.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:39 pm

Is there any hope for a 1L summer associate position for a low gpa splitter?
Last edited by edcrane on Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonunique

New

Post by nonunique » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:41 pm

Unless you're going for an IP job, they'll not likely ask for your UG transcript (in my experience).

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:43 pm

I thought 1Ls sent out resumes and whatnot before law school grades have been released (December or thereabouts) . Is this incorrect? If GPA/LSAT score and law school grades are omitted, what criteria would firms use to distinguish between applicants?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nonunique

New

Post by nonunique » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:49 pm

Yes, you'll send out applications before you have grades. They will consist of a cover letter and a resume. Some firms will immediately tell you they aren't interested. Others will ask you to send a transcript when you get it.

Kay777

New

Post by Kay777 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Summer associates at the top firms make exactly the same as first year associates. In NY thats $160 a year :)...

Some firms give summer associate bonuses, too, but not many.

VaultBound

Bronze

Post by VaultBound » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:23 am

How long are these usually? 3 months? If so, that's a nice ~25k (take-home) to pay off those first-year loans.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:16 am

It usually lasts 10-12 weeks.

The money I made last summer is making 2L year much more bearable than 1L. I cut down on the amount of federal loans I took out, and I don't have to feel guilty about every unnecessary purchase.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kathy

New

Post by Kathy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:01 am

So after making quite a considerable amount during the summer, the financial aid office doesn't recalculate and lower the aid package because of summer earnings?

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:17 am

It will affect your 3L financial aid award, only if you get a job over 1L summer. If you only work 2L, it will not catch up with you before you graduate.

For instance, you work during 1L summer. At that time, you have already filled out your fafsa for 2L. Therefore your 2L award is already in the clear. In the middle of your 2L year, you will fill out the fafsa which includes the money you made over 1L summer. That fafsa will affect your 3L financial aid award, but by then you will presumably have worked another summer at a firm making pretty good money.

If you don't get a 1L job and only work at a firm during 2L summer, that money will never affect your financial aid award.

nellie06

New

Post by nellie06 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:58 am

Yes, you'll send out applications before you have grades. They will consist of a cover letter and a resume. Some firms will immediately tell you they aren't interested. Others will ask you to send a transcript when you get it.

TITCR. My friend at g'town sent a ton out and they all asked for grades before they would talk to him. Once he found out he did pretty well, a lot of those firms started asking to bring him in for interviews. He had a 3.4 after one semester, I wonder what it takes to get an offer vs where you attend law school. Definitely a great way to ease the loan burden!

Player30

New

Post by Player30 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:07 pm

I assumer PTers can't get a 1L offer because they have to take summer classes if they want to change to FT? Does this hurt their chances after 2L?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nonunique

New

Post by nonunique » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Most of the FT students aren't going to have 1L gigs either. It should have no impact on your 2L prospects.

Player30

New

Post by Player30 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:29 pm

nonunique - do you mean most even in the T14?

betsyanna

New

Post by betsyanna » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:41 pm

re: the grade issue--

i'm a 1L, and was concerned that my avg. grades wouldn't make the cut. but i was lucky and got several offers before grades were released. so, it does happen. none of the firms i interviewed with even asked about grades, to be honest, though they did want to see them after making their offers. (of course, plenty of firms wanted grades before they would even talk to me, and plenty more rejected me within about 3 days, no questions asked).

i found that geography played a big part. i'm at school in MI, and I applied to firms in CA, Chicago, and TX. tons of MI grads go to Chicago, and I had the best results from those Chicago firms. TX firms either rejected me right away or wanted grades--rumor has it they're skeptical of non-Texans, and I have no Texas connections to speak of. California firms all gave me the "thanks but no thanks" 1L form letter--presumably bc they filled all their 1L spots with Stanford/Hastings/Boalt kids and didn't need to hassle with me. who knows.

but it's been my experience that grades don't make or break you in the T14 market.

minneapolisite

New

Post by minneapolisite » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:35 pm

edcrane wrote:I thought 1Ls sent out resumes and whatnot before law school grades have been released (December or thereabouts) . Is this incorrect? If GPA/LSAT score and law school grades are omitted, what criteria would firms use to distinguish between applicants?
They will rely on your skills and the quality of your resume, just like other "real world" jobs. I've been out of college for nearly four years and I've never ONCE been asked my GPA, SAT, ACT, or LSAT when applying for a job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nonunique

New

Post by nonunique » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:09 pm

nonunique - do you mean most even in the T14?
Yes, even in the T14. I know it's something like 1/3 of 1Ls at HLS and NU (I'm sure the rest of the T14 is similar).
They will rely on your skills and the quality of your resume, just like other "real world" jobs. I've been out of college for nearly four years and I've never ONCE been asked my GPA, SAT, ACT, or LSAT when applying for a job.
Firms will RARELY hire you without looking at your grades. It does happen, but not often. Firms hiring summer associates is not a "real world" job.

swordshark

New

Post by swordshark » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:40 am

Law clerk's standard, if a paid position, is 15 per hour in California. Adjust accordingly by region. It is difficult to get a paid position as a 1L, good luck.

Ataraxia

New

Post by Ataraxia » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:11 pm

paul1454 wrote:It will affect your 3L financial aid award, only if you get a job over 1L summer. If you only work 2L, it will not catch up with you before you graduate.

For instance, you work during 1L summer. At that time, you have already filled out your fafsa for 2L. Therefore your 2L award is already in the clear. In the middle of your 2L year, you will fill out the fafsa which includes the money you made over 1L summer. That fafsa will affect your 3L financial aid award, but by then you will presumably have worked another summer at a firm making pretty good money.

If you don't get a 1L job and only work at a firm during 2L summer, that money will never affect your financial aid award.
Hmmm, I'm guessing that your school doesn't require that you submit a summer income verification worksheet before your financial aid is disbursed?

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:37 am

so if you go to atop law school but went to a shoddy undergrad, are you penalized in 1L recruiting since the firms have little law-related info to look at yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”