Questions about voluntarily withdrawal. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hh_12029

New

Questions about voluntarily withdrawal.

Post by hh_12029 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:31 pm

Hi,

I am trying to seek any advice or suggestion. I am not sure how many of you actually contemplate voluntarily withdrawal and reapply to other schools with better reputation. I am currently attending law school, seriously consider retaking the LSAT and reapply to other schools with better reputation.

My overall experience at current law school is okay. However, I learned that there would be no way I would get a job at any big law firms graduating from this current law school. I need to get a job so that I can pay back my student loan. Survival issue. I want to start all over again.

1) How will affect on student loan if I voluntarily withdrawal from current law school, re-take LSAT and start as 1L at new law school? Do I need to pay back my student loan at current law school right away as soon as I voluntarily withdrawal?

I do not owe penny or any balance at current law school. I used my student loan to pay them. My understanding is, as long as I am enrolled in any institution, student loan will be hold until the graduation. However, I am not sure whether my understanding is correct. Money is serious issue.

2) Most importantly, I am not sure how other schools will think about voluntarily withdrawal and apply. Perhaps, this can be loyalty issue? Perhaps, this can negatively reflect on admission even though I qualify their LSAT average score and other credentials.

3) I like to know is there any way I can transfer some credits from current law school to new law school. It sounds impossible.
I do not recall exactly where I learned this information. Someone, who was academically dismissed, tried to take some credits from his or her previous school if a school of Dean or similar authority signs the form. The situation is different. But if a student, who was academically dismissed, may take some credits with the approval, it does not make sense to me that a student in good academic standing may not allow taking some credits upon his or her voluntarily leaving.

I am thinking aloud.

I appreciate any advice or suggestion you may give me. Thanks.

cavalier1138

Re: Questions about voluntarily withdrawal.

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Just to clarify: did you complete 1L and receive grades in all your classes?

hh_12029

New

Post by hh_12029 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:19 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Just to clarify: did you complete 1L and receive grades in all your classes?
Yeah, I did.

I know this can be more compelling situation. Yes, I spent money and time. I also know I should have made a decision earlier part. But thanks for giving attention.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:28 am

I've generally heard about things like this happening in extreme circumstances. It sounds like you probably had ok grades, but you chose a shit school. I highly doubt that you're going to be able to transfer those credits to another institution, and I also doubt that you'd be able to apply for the upcoming cycle with good results. But to try to answer your original questions in order:
hh_12029 wrote:1) How will affect on student loan if I voluntarily withdrawal from current law school, re-take LSAT and start as 1L at new law school? Do I need to pay back my student loan at current law school right away as soon as I voluntarily withdrawal?
My understanding is that once you're out of school, you have a bit of a grace period, but you would have to start paying off the loans once that period ended.
hh_12029 wrote:2) Most importantly, I am not sure how other schools will think about voluntarily withdrawal and apply. Perhaps, this can be loyalty issue? Perhaps, this can negatively reflect on admission even though I qualify their LSAT average score and other credentials.
Yes, it's a negative. A big one, if you didn't have anything affecting your withdrawal except your own realization that you made a dumb decision in attending your current school in the first place.
hh_12029 wrote:3) I like to know is there any way I can transfer some credits from current law school to new law school. It sounds impossible.
You aren't applying as a transfer, so I don't think that any of your credit will get transferred. And if you're applying to a new school for the express purpose of doing better and getting a shot at biglaw, I don't think you'd want the credits to transfer. You'd just end up in the same boat.

YinFireHare

New

Post by YinFireHare » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Just finish what you started and make the most of what you have. With a positive mindset, two more years will certainly be palatable and then once you have your JD and have passed the bar, you can go from there. I believe that education is never wasted. You may have to opt for income-based repayment or something like that once you graduate. DO NOT QUIT or withdraw thinking another school is going to take you. Just get through it, finish and get your degree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”