Is the Macbook 12in a good labtop for law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lillawyer2

Silver

Is the Macbook 12in a good labtop for law school?

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:12 pm

I like the butterfly keyboard. I like that its 2lbs. Other than the look and feel-I do not know much about computers. Is it worth it purchasing the apple care? Also should I wait until orientation to purchase my computer?

acr

Silver

Re: Is the Macbook 12in a good labtop for law school?

Post by acr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:20 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:I like the butterfly keyboard. I like that its 2lbs. Other than the look and feel-I do not know much about computers. Is it worth it purchasing the apple care? Also should I wait until orientation to purchase my computer?
Huh? Why (referring to the bolded)?

I'm not sure why purchasing a computer for law school would be different than purchasing a computer in any other circumstance. You just want something reliable that you're comfortable working on.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:39 pm

acr wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:I like the butterfly keyboard. I like that its 2lbs. Other than the look and feel-I do not know much about computers. Is it worth it purchasing the apple care? Also should I wait until orientation to purchase my computer?

I'm not sure why purchasing a computer for law school would be different than purchasing a computer in any other circumstance. You just want something reliable that you're comfortable working on.
idk lol. I didn't know if most schools required a set up process before using the labtop or w.e so maybe it would be better not to wait or it didn't matter.

i didn't have a computer in undergrad. I just used the library. I actually wouldn't purchase a computer in most circumstances. when i worked my job provided a work labtop and for most online interactions or personal use-it is done on my phone.

I see a lot of people making suggestions on computers and the threads are lengthy. Some even go into detail with specks and computer gargin. I figured maybe there was an underlining reason and certain computers proved better for law school than others.

Thanks

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:42 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
acr wrote:

idk lol. I didn't know if most schools required a set up process before using the labtop or w.e so maybe it would be better not to wait or it didn't matter.

i didn't have a computer in undergrad. I just used the library. I actually wouldn't purchase a computer in most circumstances. when i worked my job provided a work labtop and for most online interactions or personal use-it is done on my phone.

I see a lot of people making suggestions on computers and the threads are lengthy. Some even go into detail with specks and computer gargin. I figured maybe there was an underlining reason and certain computers proved better for law school than others.

Thanks
I can guarantee you that no school "requires a set up process before using the labtop."

The only things I used my computer for during 1L were writing papers, taking notes, and using ExamSoft to take exams.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:44 pm

acr wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
acr wrote:

Thanks
I can guarantee you that no school "requires a set up process before using the labtop."

The only things I used my computer for during 1L were writing papers, taking notes, and using ExamSoft to take exams.
thanks-i'll just buy what i want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:04 pm

Examsoft sometimes won't work if you have the latest and greatest operating system, IIRC. I remember getting emails from my school instructing us to not upgrade to a new OS if it game out in like October because Examsoft might not be able to work with it in time for December exams.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:03 pm

BigZuck wrote:Examsoft sometimes won't work if you have the latest and greatest operating system, IIRC. I remember getting emails from my school instructing us to not upgrade to a new OS if it game out in like October because Examsoft might not be able to work with it in time for December exams.
Thanks..

is examsoft something you download?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Yes it's a program

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Make sure you check out 2017 (2nd gen butterfly is pretty nice IMO).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chuck Rhoades

New

Post by Chuck Rhoades » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:52 pm

pricon wrote:Make sure you check out 2017 (2nd gen butterfly is pretty nice IMO).
Agreed. If you're upgrading from an older macbook/pro, 2nd gen butterfly keyboard will feel way different at first. I'd recommend buying before orientation so you have time to find something else if you don't like the new keyboard.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Chuck Rhoades wrote:
pricon wrote:Make sure you check out 2017 (2nd gen butterfly is pretty nice IMO).
Agreed. If you're upgrading from an older macbook/pro, 2nd gen butterfly keyboard will feel way different at first. I'd recommend buying before orientation so you have time to find something else if you don't like the new keyboard.
Well, I meant that Apple pretty quietly redesigned the butterfly keyboard between the 2016 and 2017 models of the MB, and that it's an understated improvement. The first gen one (2015–6 MBr) sucks pretty bad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”