Taking a year off after 1L Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Nero21

New

Taking a year off after 1L

Post by Nero21 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:11 pm

I will be attending a tier 2 law school on a good scholarship and its in my hometown so I will not need to take out loans for living expenses or anything as I will be living at home. However, the market where my school places is not where I want to be or work in so I'm hoping to transfer out after 1L. But I know everyone wants to do well during 1L and get good grades, so assuming that my transferring out doesn't pan out would it make sense to drop out of law school for a year get some experience or something else and then try to apply to law school again for 2L? (if this is even a thing people do).
Last edited by Nero21 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Taking a year off after 1L

Post by runinthefront » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:12 pm

Nero21 wrote:I will be attending a Tier 2 law school on a good scholarship and its in my hometown so I will not need to take out loans for living expenses or anything as I will be living at home. However, the market where my school places is not where I want to be or work in so I'm hoping to transfer out after 1L. But I know everyone wants to do well during 1L and get good grades, so assuming that doesn't my transferring out doesn't pan out would it make sense to drop out of a law school for a year get some experience or something else and then try to apply to law school again for 2L? (if this is even a thing people do).
it's easier to just not matriculate in the fall

have you thought about getting a job and retaking the lsat?

it's not too late at all
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanzgo

New

Post by sanzgo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:23 pm

Nero21 wrote:I will be attending a Tier 2 law school on a good scholarship and its in my hometown so I will not need to take out loans for living expenses or anything as I will be living at home. However, the market where my school places is not where I want to be or work in so I'm hoping to transfer out after 1L. But I know everyone wants to do well during 1L and get good grades, so assuming that doesn't my transferring out doesn't pan out would it make sense to drop out of a law school for a year get some experience or something else and then try to apply to law school again for 2L? (if this is even a thing people do).
once you have LS grades, those stay forever. i'm not aware of any program that admits 2Ls outside of transfers.

if instead, you meant applying for 1L admissions at a different school after dropping out of your current LS, that'll be very unlikely since you've already completed a year's worth of LS coursework for grades.

either dropout and pursue a different career, transfer, or just stick it out at your current school. those are pretty much your only options at this point.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:55 pm

Yeah, you should just retake and reapply. Expecting to transfer makes no sense.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:40 am

Don't do this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:42 am

OP just dont. Reapply. You are about to make a life ruining decision.

Nero21

New

Post by Nero21 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:25 am

I'd like to take a year off and improve on the LSAT which I know I could do cause I didn't do as well as I could have, but my family would resent me if I did because of the large amount of scholarship I'd be giving up, not to mention one of my siblings wasn't accepted by this same school which was his dream school. Thanks for the advice though!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:28 am

Nero21 wrote:I'd like to take a year off and improve on the LSAT which I know I could do cause I didn't do as well as I could have, but my family would resent me if I did because of the large amount of scholarship I'd be giving up, not to mention one of my siblings wasn't accepted by this same school which was his dream school. Thanks for the advice though!
These are the worst reasons.

1. Your family will get over it. They'll get over it even faster when you get a scholarship at a better school.
2. Who cares that your sibling didn't get in? Your purpose in life is not to facilitate your brother living vicariously through you.
3. This is a horrible plan, and you owe it to yourself to retake and reapply.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:17 am

You're literally talking about spending a year of your life to avoid offending your brother.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30 am

Nero21 wrote:I'd like to take a year off and improve on the LSAT which I know I could do cause I didn't do as well as I could have, but my family would resent me if I did because of the large amount of scholarship I'd be giving up, not to mention one of my siblings wasn't accepted by this same school which was his dream school. Thanks for the advice though!
If you take a year off after 1L and try to apply somewhere else...you're still giving up the scholarship. I don't think it's even possible to take a year off and go back to a different school for 2L but even if it is, it makes no sense. No higher ranked school that would have said no to a transfer is going to say yes after you take a year off.

If you're not comfortable with the idea that this will be the school your most likely attend for 3 years, then don't go. Take the year off now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”