Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lucretius_

New

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Post by lucretius_ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:20 am

Bulla wrote:I seriously don't know if you're acting or want to ignore the arguments because you're not doing anything other then running around in a circle with your same response. I wonder if you confuse your entire classmates on a particular topic in class.
This is exactly what you yourself have been doing the entire thread. You asked for discussion of the topic. Nony and myself both gave you direct answers. You never once engaged with those responses.

Every time others have raised legitimate questions, you ignore them in favor of some hard line argument that the world of law school is just so unfair!

We get it. You want to stand up for a perceived injustice in the admissions system. Great. But, your logic has not convinced anyone of anything new regarding these injustices. Further, singling out NU in particular (using evidence contradictory to your claims) has made you come off more as spiteful against them than actually interested in having a discussion about the problems with law school admissions.

Address people's actual arguments, please, for once.

Bulla

Bronze

Post by Bulla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 am

Some people feel the need to win an argument. This is pretty sad, if you can't win, lets attack. We certainly don't have like minds here, and the ones who does, lurk this topic. They don't want to be dragged into endless bashing.

In anyways, it is getting pretty late here. So until next time. Facts are facts, you can't change it. I can hardly understand what few of you on the attack mode are saying just like you claim you don't understand me.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:13 am

Bulla wrote:They play with words and twist them. They bring diversity into an accountability debate about ABA standards. Two different topics. I don't see the merits of their comments. You don't serve diverse applicants by increasing tuition. The cost of a JD should not be a quarter of a million.

Do i agree with the structure of LSAT ? Absolutely not as it doesn't prepare applicants for law school nor expose them to law school materials.
Do we need a better standardize test that teaches law school materials ? Yes we do
Do we need to relay on other standardized tests such as GRE ? May be, that is not a bad thing
Do we need to relax ABA standards ? Hell no.
This is like the gazillionth time you've changed your argument without admitting it.

And yes, it's pretty clear that you don't understand anything anyone else is saying.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:22 am

OP, please tell me you don't argue like this in real life. This is just drunk/bored you on the internet, right?

Bulla

Bronze

Post by Bulla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 am

I have to tell you Dean Paul Caron from Pepperdine was lurking this topic on the weekend. So you see, a good discussion is coming out of it.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... l#comments
cavalier1138 wrote:OP, please tell me you don't argue like this in real life. This is just drunk/bored you on the internet, right?
There is no such thing as bored on the internet when your Fall semester will start soon and preparing for the bar. I was simply making a statement that needed to be brought up. Whether you liked it or not, that wasn't my concern. I am not here to please. I am shedding some light on T14 law schools hiding in the shadow behind their glories Rank. We don't want anymore of a disaster within the legal academia.
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Bulla wrote:They play with words and twist them. They bring diversity into an accountability debate about ABA standards. Two different topics. I don't see the merits of their comments. You don't serve diverse applicants by increasing tuition. The cost of a JD should not be a quarter of a million.

Do i agree with the structure of LSAT ? Absolutely not as it doesn't prepare applicants for law school nor expose them to law school materials.
Do we need a better standardize test that teaches law school materials ? Yes we do
Do we need to relay on other standardized tests such as GRE ? May be, that is not a bad thing
Do we need to relax ABA standards ? Hell no.
This is like the gazillionth time you've changed your argument without admitting it.

And yes, it's pretty clear that you don't understand anything anyone else is saying.
No it is all the same, it is all part of a wider admission practice.
Last edited by Bulla on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:27 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:So, I'm going to take a wild guess and say OP was rejected by Northwestern.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 am

Bulla wrote:I have to tell you Dean Paul Caron from Pepperdine was lurking this topic on the weekend. So you see, a good discussion is coming out of it.

You realize that all you linked to was excerpts from Rodriguez's piece with hyperlinks to Caron's prior articles on the subject, right? And you realize that it was the actual Paul Campos on this thread earlier telling you (in so many words) that you were nuts, right?
Bulla wrote: I am shedding some light on T14 law schools hiding in the shadow behind their glories Rank. We don't want anymore of a disaster within the legal academia.
How are the top schools part of your inane rambling? To the extent that you've made a point, all schools have increased tuition across the board (which has nothing to do with diversity). But the top schools at least get their students jobs that let them pay off their debt (which has nothing to do with diversity). The major problem with the tuition hikes is low-tier schools taking students on with six figures in loans, knowing full well that only a small fraction of them will be in a position to pay that loan off in ten years (which has nothing to do with diversity). So again, how is Northwestern the problem, and what does any of this have to do with diversity?

Bulla

Bronze

Post by Bulla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Bulla wrote:I have to tell you Dean Paul Caron from Pepperdine was lurking this topic on the weekend. So you see, a good discussion is coming out of it.

You realize that all you linked to was excerpts from Rodriguez's piece with hyperlinks to Caron's prior articles on the subject, right? And you realize that it was the actual Paul Campos on this thread earlier telling you (in so many words) that you were nuts, right?
Bulla wrote: I am shedding some light on T14 law schools hiding in the shadow behind their glories Rank. We don't want anymore of a disaster within the legal academia.
How are the top schools part of your inane rambling? To the extent that you've made a point, all schools have increased tuition across the board (which has nothing to do with diversity). But the top schools at least get their students jobs that let them pay off their debt (which has nothing to do with diversity). The major problem with the tuition hikes is low-tier schools taking students on with six figures in loans, knowing full well that only a small fraction of them will be in a position to pay that loan off in ten years (which has nothing to do with diversity). So again, how is Northwestern the problem, and what does any of this have to do with diversity?
You do realize that you were wrong many times ? Do you also realize that a T72 vs a T10 carrying the same debate for obvious reasons. In anyways, it intends a discussion Dean Rodriguez didn't want to answer. He wonders why there is an incline in top applicants applying to top law schools and encourage them to apply. When he knows already why many make a smart move and move into business, and better and bigger opportunities then fighting for justice because law school as it is stands right now lost that vision and is more concern about profit and revenue than access to quality education and justice.

You don't receive a 100 million gift then decide to raise tuition to 61k and guess what ? Schools in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tier will do the same and they are already doing the same saying top tier law schools are doing the same, the market demands it. Then they want to get away with accountability by seeking to relax ABA standards under the goose of 'we are helping diversity' You're ruining diversity and access to quality education. Please stop

Many are not blind you know. So until you answer these questions and open up this real debate i don't see a reason for some to come in here and troll around.

Paul Campos already said his take on Harvard aggressive admission practice targeting diverse applicants who won't be accepted.
Last edited by Bulla on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 am

Does your school have an in-house counseling service? I'd recommend using it to talk about any lingering hurt feelings you have after being rejected by Northwestern.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bulla

Bronze

Post by Bulla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:26 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Does your school have an in-house counseling service? I'd recommend using it to talk about any lingering hurt feelings you have after being rejected by Northwestern.
They recommended me to seek cavalier1138 advise. Until you can admit the truth and debate it, i don't see a reason why i have to be convinced by your views. You're not convinced by mine and you don't want to discuss it rather attack the OP.
Last edited by Bulla on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:26 am

Just lock this stupid thing, Nony

Bulla

Bronze

Post by Bulla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:30 am

Barry grandpapy wrote:This is better than Game of Thrones.
I've never watched it but i heard about it.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:33 am

Kali the Annihilator wrote:Just lock this stupid thing, Nony

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 am

I have to admit, Lucille Bluth as Nancy Pelosi legit made me laugh

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:I have to admit, Lucille Bluth as Nancy Pelosi legit made me laugh
When I finally realized that's what was going on, I nearly died of joy imagining Nancy Pelosi doing a chicken dance

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 am

blueapple wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I have to admit, Lucille Bluth as Nancy Pelosi legit made me laugh
When I finally realized that's what was going on, I nearly died of joy imagining Nancy Pelosi doing a chicken dance
I would also love to hear Pelosi say "I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it," during debate.

lucretius_

New

Post by lucretius_ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:41 am

For a while I have been reading this thread thinking, "man, what a prime example of cognitive dissonance! I need to be self-reflective more often to avoid OPs fate."

Then OP said the above. Now I'm thinking, "oh, goodness, this is just straight delusional."

I'm concerned for you OP, and I hope you're getting the help you need.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Kali the Annihilator wrote:Just lock this stupid thing, Nony
first, i need a tldr

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:46 pm

bk1 wrote: i need a tldr
emkay625 wrote:Mods, can you please change the thread title to: White Girl with Mediocre LSAT Score is Mad BC Her Boyfriend Got into Northwestern and She Didn't

Because it would save us all a lot of time.

Bulla

Bronze

Post by Bulla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 pm

Controversial topic is controversial.

We still need a solution to this mess and it starts from the top.

Do you see the level of excitement by Dean Rodriguez blog? 'scambloggers' I guess New York Times is one of them. How many times do we hear the word debt and yet NU goes and raise the tuition to 61k this year.
Northwestern is certainly not alone in these efforts, and I expect we will continue to see more offerings of this kind as law schools across the country strategize to combat the belief that law school is outdated or a waste of energy. Still, rather than decrying the scambloggers and shouting that law school is worth it, law schools need to refocus their efforts on walking the walk and proving that even in a world based on precedent, change is revered
This is business 101. Would you rather admit more qualified students with a decent tuition or few with high tuition ? When NU sends out 800+ offers and only matriculate around 200. That means the remaining didn't accept their offer. So you lost more, not gain.

2016 509 report - 823 offer but only 215 matriculated.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... Report.pdf

The value of a JD degree now equates the school's prestige rather than the value of the JD degree itself in its current market. That mentality needs to change. We all still take the same bar exam.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:06 pm

The value of a JD degree now equates the school's prestige rather than the value of the JD degree itself in its current market.
Uh, no. The value of any professional school has ALWAYS been related to a school's prestige. Sure, you can wish that it would "change", but ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bulla

Bronze

Post by Bulla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Big Dog wrote:
The value of a JD degree now equates the school's prestige rather than the value of the JD degree itself in its current market.
Uh, no. The value of any professional school has ALWAYS been related to a school's prestige. Sure, you can wish that it would "change", but ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes.
Yes true but it shouldn't be the free ticket to keep raising the tuition. 61k now for a JD. Few years later and it will be 100k. Are they setting an example for greater access to quality education or slashing it away. The rest will follow when they see top law schools charges that much. They're tarnishing the value of legal education with their own hands.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Bulla wrote:This is business 101. Would you rather admit more qualified students with a decent tuition or few with high tuition ? When NU sends out 800+ offers and only matriculate around 200. That means the remaining didn't accept their offer. So you lost more, not gain.

Why do you keep making things up out of whole cloth when you don't understand what's going on?? Northwestern knows how many offers they need to make to get the class size they want. They have *no intention* of enrolling 800+ people. If they wanted more students (for the tuition), they would...wait for it...admit more students. They *want* the 215 number.

Or for comparison:
- Duke made 1027 offers with 221 matriculating
- UVA made 952 offers with 296 matriculating
- Cornell made 987 offers with 194 matriculating
- Michigan made 1205 offers with 305 matriculating

This is not business 101. This is law school admissions 101.

Bulla

Bronze

Post by Bulla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:27 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Bulla wrote:This is business 101. Would you rather admit more qualified students with a decent tuition or few with high tuition ? When NU sends out 800+ offers and only matriculate around 200. That means the remaining didn't accept their offer. So you lost more, not gain.

Why do you keep making things up out of whole cloth when you don't understand what's going on?? Northwestern knows how many offers they need to make to get the class size they want. They have *no intention* of enrolling 800+ people. If they wanted more students (for the tuition), they would...wait for it...admit more students. They *want* the 215 number.

Or for comparison:
- Duke made 1027 offers with 221 matriculating
- UVA made 952 offers with 296 matriculating
- Cornell made 987 offers with 194 matriculating
- Michigan made 1205 offers with 305 matriculating

This is not business 101. This is law school admissions 101.
But if 500 took those offers, then we would have 500 matriculated. The fact that 200 out of 800 took the offer means the remaining of the offers weren't that great and the applicants found better offers somewhere else.

If they knew their class size, they wouldn't keep a huge waitlist pending.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:31 pm

what if down was up and up was down, then your argument would be totally wrong

checkmate, nony

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”