Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4696
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:41 am

Bulla wrote:Are you against or for diversity ?


I'm for it, but I don't see it as particularly important relative to the overall goal of admitting the most qualified class possible on the basis of merit. If I were the evil Dean Rodriguez, I might consider diversity as a tiebreaker between two more or less equally qualified applicants. Like, I might admit a racial minority with a 169 LSAT before a white applicant with a 170, but I wouldn't start admitting 161s just to achieve some particular racial ratio.

You ARE using "diversity" to mean racial and ethnic minorities, right? Because it almost sounds like you're arguing for "diversity" in LSAT scores, and that applicants who score lower are being discriminated against in favor of ones who score higher. That can't be what you're saying, right?

User avatar
Bulla
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby Bulla » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:03 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Bulla wrote:Are you against or for diversity ?


I'm for it, but I don't see it as particularly important relative to the overall goal of admitting the most qualified class possible on the basis of merit. If I were the evil Dean Rodriguez, I might consider diversity as a tiebreaker between two more or less equally qualified applicants. Like, I might admit a racial minority with a 169 LSAT before a white applicant with a 170, but I wouldn't start admitting 161s just to achieve some particular racial ratio.

You ARE using "diversity" to mean racial and ethnic minorities, right? Because it almost sounds like you're arguing for "diversity" in LSAT scores, and that applicants who score lower are being discriminated against in favor of ones who score higher. That can't be what you're saying, right?


I don't want to change the main discussion but I am having an issue with this practice, and i know others do too. I saw students admitted to NU and T14 law schools asking how they want to be declared independent from their parents in order to get more scholly from the school because their parents are lawyers and doctors based on their salary which would result in a more slash from their scholly offers. It is a smart move and if no one jumps to grab it, it wouldn't be smart but in all reality that is why we end up with more of the diverse student body being recruited to T40 law schools and they do transfer after their 1L if they like.

Do you believe first general students and minorities receive the same privileges to succeed on the LSAT exam than those who have those resources already and can afford it ? I am also not saying this is the norm but that is also a reality. They argue they want to serve particularly first generation students, student of color, minorities and want a diverse student body but they don't serve them well. It is all marketing.

I've also seen a class with no diversity in vs a class with diversity in it and the later is more engaging and friendlier than the former in term of group project collaboration and participation. It is too different worlds. On a personal level they can communicate and understand each others as well.

My initial topic is about NU comments to ABA seeking to diversify the legal academia when their admission practice in reality is opposite to what they are advocating for for the purpose of ranking. When i speak about diversity, we speak about yet racial, ethnic minorities, student of color, and first generation students.

I am also an avid believer that if you teach someone well, they will succeed if they have the will and determination. That is why we speak about quality of education.
Last edited by Bulla on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yyyuppp
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby yyyuppp » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Bulla wrote:
My initial topic is about NU comments to ABA seeking to diversify the legal academia when their admission practice in reality is opposite to what they are advocating for for the purpose of ranking.



please explain how this means they have some scheme in which the school is leading people with low LSAT scores to apply in order to increase their ranking.The quotes you have from Rodriguez shows he values high lsat scores to maintain a ranking, and this is NOT him saying that he wants to have more people apply to maintain the ranking.

You have shown that law schools care about their ranking more than things like diversity, which isn't news to anyone and no one here is denying that.

You have absolutely no proof that they are intentionally acting in a way to attract more lower scores in order to lower their admissions rate - you are completely speculating.

And the wait list thing is still totally irrelevant to this.

User avatar
Bulla
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby Bulla » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:18 pm

yyyuppp wrote:
Bulla wrote:
My initial topic is about NU comments to ABA seeking to diversify the legal academia when their admission practice in reality is opposite to what they are advocating for for the purpose of ranking.



please explain how this means they have some scheme in which the school is leading people with low LSAT scores to apply in order to increase their ranking.The quotes you have from Rodriguez shows he values high lsat scores to maintain a ranking, and this is NOT him saying that he wants to have more people apply to maintain the ranking.

You have shown that law schools care about their ranking more than things like diversity, which isn't news to anyone and no one here is denying that.

You have absolutely no proof that they are intentionally acting in a way to attract more lower scores in order to lower their admissions rate - you are completely speculating.

And the wait list thing is still totally irrelevant to this.


You just answered it, then they shouldn't market the need to diversify legal academia because LSAT range from 155 - 162 is where the diversity students will appear. They don't need to lip service false hopes and engage with diversity applicants just to increase their ranks and application #s.

Have you read the Yale topic i cited in the previous page ? you don't see the level of almost nagging applicants to apply to Yale "You have nothing to lose but more to gain" They fear their lose of being always named an elite school because of the number of applicants applying have dropped.

lucretius_
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby lucretius_ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Bulla wrote:Now we are starting to guess my race. OP is white ? No she is Asian. This is adorable.

Obviously we don't have like minds but they will show up and understand this topic. Instead of attacking the argument and the validity of it, try to see what is being unethical here and point to it. Try having a discussion about it. Obviously some are coming to NU rescue because it does interest them.

This topic was about ABA and NU along with few T14 law schools comments about diversity, innovation (don't even know how innovation is fit there, it is a term better used for medical or business schools), and admission practices.

How many of you have attended Dean Rodriguez live chat ? "Meet with a dean" Everyone of you question that NU never done this for the past years, do you wonder why now ? Did you saw the type of questions that were asked, especially from students asking questions about diversity and first generation students ? He actually said he pays more attention to them or at his direction he directs faculty to even guide them throughout their 3 years of education which is just lip service marketing.

Whether it is personal opinion or a general one, you will know that most T14 of law schools don't care about diversity and rather their ranks. Can we at least approve this because we know it is the truth. I saw some say "may be" and some are sugar coating their indirect responses.

Are you against or for diversity ?


Just because you are talking about ethics does not mean we should blindly accept your claims or think that the actions of the NU dean are unethical. Many posters have already come here to discuss this topic with you and those posters have made sound arguments as to why your position does not follow from your premises.

Here are a few of the main assertion and my responses:

Assertion 1: NU's dean is unethical because he says he supports diversity in the class but what he actually cares about is numbers and rankings. Every time he is talking about diversity he is doing so to intentionally deceive minority applicants with low LSAT scores to apply in order to preserve the schools rank.

Response 1: NUs dean admits that he feels pressured by the rankings to give the LSAT a lot of weight sometimes at the expense of diversity. This does not make his comments at a "Meet with a Dean" unethical or misleading. We admit, as does the dean, that the lack of diversity in law school is an ongoing issue. We also have to take into account that it is the Dean's job to make sure that the students he accepts into NU are able to both graduate and find meaningful employment. He freely admits that the focusing on LSAT scores is not always the best way to accomplish both of these goals. He also thinks that it is unfortunate that NU cannot accept every candidate that applies and that a majority of waitlisted students would most likely be really great law students. Unfortunately, the school only has a certain class size, so many students that are put on the waitlist will not be accepted despite strong evidence (GPA, LSAT, WE, etc.) that they could succeed in law school and become successful lawyers. So far, you have not fully explained how the Dean's position here is unethical. You've made a broad claim that he intentionally misleads applicants with low GPAs to apply. Your one source of evidence is a talk that you went to where he discussed inclusion and diversity and both encouraged minority students to apply and told them that he would personally make sure that they had the tools that needed to succeed at his law school. What evidence do you have that his message was meant to intentionally deceive applicants? What evidence do you have that the NU dean does not actually take the steps he claims to take? You have yet to provide this evidence, so you cannot assert that the NU dean is acting unethically.

Assertion 2: Law schools don't care about diversity at all! They only accept students with high LSAT scores, which is proof that the only thing that matters to law schools is ranking.

Response 2: Law schools can simultaneously care about diversity and care about LSAT scores that affect their rankings. Your all-or-nothing thinking on this issue is what is so confusing. It turns out that a lot of the top schools have the luxury (if we want to call it that) of having the ability to choose a diverse class from the pool of elite applicants. As Nony pointed to above, NU has good, though not ideal, diversity in its class. It also has a high USNWR ranking in part because of its LSAT median. The Dean admits that there is still work to do when it comes to diversity in law school admissions. Most posters admit this as well. None of this evidence indicates that the NU dean and other top law schools don't care about diversity, and your continued assertion that they don't care because they accept students with high LSAT scores is baseless and wrong. Further, you have no evidence to support that your stance on diversity is entirely ethical and should be accepted on the basis of your assertion alone.

Assertion 3: If low performing students stopped applying to top law schools, the top law schools will change their mind about their admissions practices, scholarship packages, and high tuitions in favor of a more reasonable approach.

Response 3: You have neither good evidence to suggest this would work or a sound basis for thinking this would make any difference whatsoever. So Yale gets 0 applicants next year with LSATs <162...Who cares? This has some potential to affect the diversity of their class, but it also may have no effect at all seeing as there are still literally thousands of candidates to choose from with scores >162, and many of them will come from diverse backgrounds to positively contribute to their law school community.

Just because people do not accept your claims or hold you position does mean that they are unethical or against diversity, so please stop asserting as much. The validity of your arguments matters in ethical debates like this one, so do not tell us to not assess their validity or lack thereof.

User avatar
Bulla
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby Bulla » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:27 pm

See your responses, that is what happen when a law school sugar coat their responses. "We wish to do this but we can't because x and y" Put it in simple terms. Some lawyers will try to turn a simple argument into a complex one and others will try to simplify it. I am all for the latter.
Last edited by Bulla on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4696
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Bulla wrote:Do you believe first general students and minorities receive the same privileges to succeed on the LSAT exam than those who have those resources already and can afford it ? I am also not saying this is the norm but that is also a reality. They argue they want to serve particularly first generation students, student of color, minorities and want a diverse student body but they don't serve them well. It is all marketing.



The LSAT may not perfectly capture someone's merit or ability to succeed in law school, but it's the best (admittedly imperfect) thing we have.

Bulla wrote:I am also an avid believer that if you teach someone well, they will succeed if they have the will and determination. That is why we speak about quality of education.



Quality of education comes into play, certainly, but so do the raw materials that the teacher has to work with. Look up a T14 school's bar passage rates and then look up a TTTT's bar passage rates. Do you think the T14 professors are just that much better at explaining the elements of battery? Or do you think it's possible that, say, a U Penn student is probably brighter and more capable than a Cooley student?

Bulla wrote:See your responses, that is what happen you a law school sugar coat their responses. "We wish to do this but we can't because x and y" Put it in simple terms. Some lawyers will tray to turn a simple argument into a complex one and others will try to simplify it. I am all for the latter.


What if it actually is complex?
Last edited by TheSpanishMain on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucretius_
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby lucretius_ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Bulla wrote:See your responses, that is what happen you a law school sugar coat their responses. "We wish to do this but we can't because x and y" Put it in simple terms. Some lawyers will tray to turn a simple argument into a complex one and others will try to simplify it. I am all for the latter.


This is so condescending. You literally asked for people to discuss with you. I engaged. You said, "I'm not interested in engaging in discussion anymore because this is too complex. My assertions are simple and correct and you're just sugar-coating this problem I discovered just like the law schools."

I'm literally still on the NU waitlist this year with no expectation of being accepted. Get over yourself.

User avatar
Bulla
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby Bulla » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:43 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Bulla wrote:Do you believe first general students and minorities receive the same privileges to succeed on the LSAT exam than those who have those resources already and can afford it ? I am also not saying this is the norm but that is also a reality. They argue they want to serve particularly first generation students, student of color, minorities and want a diverse student body but they don't serve them well. It is all marketing.



The LSAT may not perfectly capture someone's merit or ability to succeed in law school, but it's the best (admittedly imperfect) thing we have.

Bulla wrote:I am also an avid believer that if you teach someone well, they will succeed if they have the will and determination. That is why we speak about quality of education.



Quality of education comes into play, certainly, but so do the raw materials that the teacher has to work with. Look up a T14 school's bar passage rates and then look up a TTTT's bar passage rates. Do you think the T14 professors are just that much better at explaining the elements of battery? Or do you think it's possible that, say, a U Penn student is probably brighter and more capable than a Cooley student?

Bulla wrote:See your responses, that is what happen you a law school sugar coat their responses. "We wish to do this but we can't because x and y" Put it in simple terms. Some lawyers will tray to turn a simple argument into a complex one and others will try to simplify it. I am all for the latter.


What if it actually is complex?


Here is a response to this. There are brighter and dumber students at both top tier law schools and bottom tier law schools. That is why many from the bottom tier law schools will transfer to top tier law schools after their 1L so i don't agree with your Cooley argument.

lucretius_ wrote:
Bulla wrote:See your responses, that is what happen you a law school sugar coat their responses. "We wish to do this but we can't because x and y" Put it in simple terms. Some lawyers will tray to turn a simple argument into a complex one and others will try to simplify it. I am all for the latter.


This is so condescending. You literally asked for people to discuss with you. I engaged. You said, "I'm not interested in engaging in discussion anymore because this is too complex. My assertions are simple and correct and you're just sugar-coating this problem I discovered just like the law schools."

I'm literally still on the NU waitlist this year with no expectation of being accepted. Get over yourself.


Calm your horses. It can be stressful. This is just the beginning to your 3 years of legal academia.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4004
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:51 pm

Legal academia doesn't usually involve a particularly inept classmate being a condescending ass.

Actually, never mind. Your posts are perfect preparation for law school classes.

User avatar
yyyuppp
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby yyyuppp » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Bulla wrote:
You just answered it, then they shouldn't market the need to diversify legal academia because LSAT range from 155 - 162 is where the diversity students will appear. They don't need to lip service false hopes and engage with diversity applicants just to increase their ranks and application #s.

Have you read the Yale topic i cited in the previous page ? you don't see the level of almost nagging applicants to apply to Yale "You have nothing to lose but more to gain" They fear their lose of being always named an elite school because of the number of applicants applying have dropped.


Please... listen...everyone ITT thinks diversity is good and law schools are cold and numbers driven. The reason everyone disagrees with you is because that is not your point: you are trying to use that fact to prove that law schools have secret plan to drive up their applicant numbers by lying to low scorers. what you are doing is asserting what the INTENT of the law schools is, you have NO EVIDENCE that their intent is to trick people into applying. You do not have a quote by anyone saying "We want to increase our applicants, so we lie to people and encourage low LSAT scorers to apply."

You COULD prove this with circumstantial evidence, but the only evidence of that kind you have is
- a Yale student who go in with a low score saying that yale doesn't only accept people with very high lsat scores
- a dean saying they would like to be less tied to lsat scores and rankings
- a report saying standardized tests in law school admissions hinders diversity

None of this reasonably leads people to be able to infer the sinister intent you claim, and its not even close.

Further, you have no evidence that what Yale says isn't true. They do not deny that they take mostly applicants with high LSAT scores, but they also consider unique backgrounds and experiences and that can get you into school. it can absolutely be true that they value a unique candidate, but still will mostly take high LSAT scores. If anything, the post you cite is evidence that yale does admit people with low Lsat scores.

If you really believe that what you claim is true is true, then you are going to have to find some better evidence and do a much better job at explaining why that evidence means you are right. Right now, you are just doing a really poor at persuading people of your argument.

no one in this thread is defending law schools cuz they like law schools, its just a bunch of law students and lawyers who know what a good argument is and thinks your argument is very bad and are getting frustrated that you can't see how bad it is.
Last edited by yyyuppp on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bulla
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby Bulla » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:55 pm

yyyuppp wrote:
Bulla wrote:
You just answered it, then they shouldn't market the need to diversify legal academia because LSAT range from 155 - 162 is where the diversity students will appear. They don't need to lip service false hopes and engage with diversity applicants just to increase their ranks and application #s.

Have you read the Yale topic i cited in the previous page ? you don't see the level of almost nagging applicants to apply to Yale "You have nothing to lose but more to gain" They fear their lose of being always named an elite school because of the number of applicants applying have dropped.


Please... listen...everyone ITT thinks diversity is good and law schools are cold and numbers driven. The reason everyone disagrees with you is because that is not your point: you are trying to use that fact to prove that law schools have secret plan to drive up their applicant numbers by lying to low scorers. what you are doing is asserting what the INTENT of the law schools is, you have NO EVIDENCE that their intent is to trick people into applying. You do not have a quote by anyone saying "We want to increase our applicants, so we lie to people and encourage low LSAT scorers to apply."

You COULD prove this with circumstantial evidence, but the only evidence of that kind you have is
- a Yale student who go in with a low score saying that yale doesn't only accept people with very high lsat scores
- a dean saying they would like to be less tied to lsat scores and rankings
- a report saying standardized tests in law school admissions hinders diversity

None of this reasonably leads people to be able to infer the sinister intent you claim, and its not even close.

Further, you have no evidence that what Yale says isn't true. They do not deny that they take mostly applicants with high LSAT scores, but they also consider unique backgrounds and experiences and that can get you into school. it can absolutely be true that they value a unique candidate, but still will mostly take high LSAT scores. If anything, the post you cite is evidence that yale does admit people with low Lsat scores.

If you really believe that what you claim is true is true, then you are going to have to find some better evidence and do a much better job at explaining why that evidence means you are right. Right now, you are just doing a really poor at persuading people of your argument.


Obviously we don't have an initiated investigation to prove "intent" You look instead to their pattern and practice.

This is an open discussion and i am not persuading anyone. Also i do have evidence in term of marketing emails from these T14 law schools. But i don't want to share it.

lucretius_
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby lucretius_ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Bulla wrote:This is an open discussion


Doesn't feel like it based on your responses.

Bulla wrote:and i am not persuading anyone


Correct.

User avatar
yyyuppp
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby yyyuppp » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:07 pm

if this is just an open discussion where people can just throw out any assertions they want, then i think you're wrong. i see plenty of diverse students at my school and thats my evidence that what they say is true. great discussion.

see ya.

User avatar
Bulla
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby Bulla » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:11 pm

yyyuppp wrote:if this is just an open discussion where people can just throw out any assertions they want, then i think you're wrong. i see plenty of diverse students at my school and thats my evidence that what they say is true. great discussion.

see ya.


You've just contradicted yourself so many times and with that last response you hit the nail. My bf is at NU and doesn't agree with you on the diversity claim at NU. Good luck on your 2L/3L there!

lucretius_
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby lucretius_ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Bulla wrote:
yyyuppp wrote:if this is just an open discussion where people can just throw out any assertions they want, then i think you're wrong. i see plenty of diverse students at my school and thats my evidence that what they say is true. great discussion.

see ya.


You've just contradicted yourself so many times and with that last response you hit the nail. My bf is at NU and doesn't agree with you on the diversity claim at NU. Good luck on your 2L/3L there!


For all the lip service you pay to "diversity", you don't do a great job of accepting perspectives other than your own. I suggest more self-reflection and less internet shaming.

Good luck with your discussion and with law school.

User avatar
Bulla
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby Bulla » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:22 pm

lucretius_ wrote:
Bulla wrote:
yyyuppp wrote:if this is just an open discussion where people can just throw out any assertions they want, then i think you're wrong. i see plenty of diverse students at my school and thats my evidence that what they say is true. great discussion.

see ya.


You've just contradicted yourself so many times and with that last response you hit the nail. My bf is at NU and doesn't agree with you on the diversity claim at NU. Good luck on your 2L/3L there!


For all the lip service you pay to "diversity", you don't do a great job of accepting perspectives other than your own. I suggest more self-reflection and less internet shaming.

Good luck with your discussion and with law school.


I am having my own views after seeing what it was really is, why should i accept your argument if you're not accepting mine but instead attacking it. We know controversy conversation is controversy but it has to start from somewhere. What you can't do is sit silently and watching and say i will go with the flow it doesn't affect me.

Thank you! Same to you.
Last edited by Bulla on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yyyuppp
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby yyyuppp » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Bulla wrote:
yyyuppp wrote:if this is just an open discussion where people can just throw out any assertions they want, then i think you're wrong. i see plenty of diverse students at my school and thats my evidence that what they say is true. great discussion.

see ya.


You've just contradicted yourself so many times and with that last response you hit the nail. My bf is at NU and doesn't agree with you on the diversity claim at NU. Good luck on your 3L there!



oh god... my point is you are just making a bunch of assertions based on anecdotal evidence. you don't want to listen to other people or engage their arguments beyond citing the same stuff you already said, despite the fact that people were trying to point out how what you already said doesn't help you.

So... here's what i did and this will surprise you: i was being sarcastic. my point is that based on the rules you seem to have constructed for your "discussion", you can just say whatever you want, tell people they are wrong cuz you got some emails and read an article and Rodriguez laments the admissions process. i don't think there are plenty of diverse students, but based on the standard of evidence you set in this discussion, i can just say there cuz i hey, I've seen them, just like you have gotten some emails or whatever.

i don't care about the NU administration and they always struck me as being way more focused on alumni donations and ranking than on the student experience. now, be careful , because that doesn't mean you are right, it just means i don't have a dog in this fight and just think what you are saying is totally unsubstantiated by your statements ITT.

User avatar
yyyuppp
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby yyyuppp » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Bulla wrote:
lucretius_ wrote: why should i accept your argument if you're not accepting mine instead attacking it.

.


because thats what an argument is.

User avatar
Bulla
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby Bulla » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:25 pm

yyyuppp wrote:
Bulla wrote:
lucretius_ wrote: why should i accept your argument if you're not accepting mine instead attacking it.

.


because thats what an argument is.


I guess we need a judge to rule on the merit because i know i won't go with opposing counsel's argument.

yyyuppp wrote:
Bulla wrote:
yyyuppp wrote:if this is just an open discussion where people can just throw out any assertions they want, then i think you're wrong. i see plenty of diverse students at my school and thats my evidence that what they say is true. great discussion.

see ya.


You've just contradicted yourself so many times and with that last response you hit the nail. My bf is at NU and doesn't agree with you on the diversity claim at NU. Good luck on your 3L there!



oh god... my point is you are just making a bunch of assertions based on anecdotal evidence. you don't want to listen to other people or engage their arguments beyond citing the same stuff you already said, despite the fact that people were trying to point out how what you already said doesn't help you.

So... here's what i did and this will surprise you: i was being sarcastic. my point is that based on the rules you seem to have constructed for your "discussion", you can just say whatever you want, tell people they are wrong cuz you got some emails and read an article and Rodriguez laments the admissions process. i don't think there are plenty of diverse students, but based on the standard of evidence you set in this discussion, i can just say there cuz i hey, I've seen them, just like you have gotten some emails or whatever.

i don't care about the NU administration and they always struck me as being way more focused on alumni donations and ranking than on the student experience. now, be careful , because that doesn't mean you are right, it just means i don't have a dog in this fight and just think what you are saying is totally unsubstantiated by your statements ITT.


It feels better telling the truth isn't it. Like i said it starts somewhere to change their practice. But if you stay silent, nothing changes.
Last edited by Bulla on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yyyuppp
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby yyyuppp » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Bulla wrote:
yyyuppp wrote:
Bulla wrote:
Like i said it starts somewhere to change their practice. But if you stay silent, nothing changes.
[/quote]

the stupid, stupid irony of this thread is that that is what Rodriguez was doing.

User avatar
Bulla
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby Bulla » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:36 pm

yyyuppp wrote:
Bulla wrote:
yyyuppp wrote:
Bulla wrote:
Like i said it starts somewhere to change their practice. But if you stay silent, nothing changes.


the stupid, stupid irony of this thread is that that is what Rodriguez was doing.


He is the Dean of the school and he is the one of the Deans who signed on the letter to ABA commenting on their standards and spoke vocally about diversity. Don't tell me he doesn't know how the admission office runs and they do their own business while he as a dean does his ?

I like Dean Rodriguez, don't get me wrong, and i was calling out the admission practice. If any changes that will happen, it will come at his direction. Deans and Presidents have more authority over their school's admission practice.

User avatar
TakeItToTrial
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 am

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby TakeItToTrial » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:48 pm

I lost brain cells reading his thread

User avatar
stego
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby stego » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:58 pm

But what if diversity would be better if we just didn't talk about it?

cavalier1138
Posts: 4004
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Northwestern Law School Dean Daniel B. Rodriguez and his claim of Diversity

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Bulla wrote:I guess we need a judge to rule on the merit because i know i won't go with opposing counsel's argument.


There it is. All this thread was missing was some stupid fucking attempt to sound like a lawyer.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest