Night School/Full time job right out of college in DC Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
dolphlaw

New

Night School/Full time job right out of college in DC

Post by dolphlaw » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Have a hypothetical question here. I am currently interning on the hill (rising junior) and am hoping to attend law school/work in DC out of undergrad. I was curious to know if it was common/possible for students at GULC, GW, etc. to work full time right out of cllege on the hill as a congressional aide or another position while attending night school after work? I understand that obviously people attend night school while working full time jobs, however, I have just never heard of someone doing both directly after graduating from undergrad. Thanks for your help.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Re: Night School/Full time job right out of college in DC

Post by Barry grandpapy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:10 pm

For once my own experience is relevant.

When I interned at a Congressional office one of the legislative aids took night classes at GULC. This is entirely doable, especially if you're only a staff assistant.

dolphlaw

New

Post by dolphlaw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:30 am

Barry grandpapy wrote:For once my own experience is relevant.

When I interned at a Congressional office one of the legislative aids took night classes at GULC. This is entirely doable, especially if you're only a staff assistant.
Great to hear. Thank you!

capitolbuffalo

New

Post by capitolbuffalo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:43 pm

There are a lot of people who work full time on the Hill while going to law school in the evening. I don't recall ever meeting anyone who was doing both straight out of college though.

I would strongly recommend against trying to do law school during your first year on the Hill. You're going to miss out on a lot of valuable (and fun) networking opportunities, and 1L is likely going to impact your work product at a time when you really need to focus on establishing a good reputation as a staffer. That said, you really just need to check the "JD box" to be a congressional counsel, so there's a lot less pressure to get the best grades or to go to the best school. Also, many offices have a loan repayment program that will offset the cost of any student loans (if you go into collection right away.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”