UK student applying to US law school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ofmattandmen

New

UK student applying to US law school

Post by ofmattandmen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Copy/pasted from my question on reddit:

I'm a final year student at a Russell Group university in the UK, studying a joint degree in history and politics. Upon graduating I'd like to enter the legal field, specifically working in the US. My reasons for this are simple: I'm a US/UK dual national and have lived between both countries my entire life. Currently, my immediate family have decided to remain in the US upon retirement and until death so I'd like to be near them.

I have taken a total of one LSAT practice test (165) and am registered for both the upcoming Septmeber and December exams. I am predicted to achieve a high 2:1 or a first in my course and have taken a look at UK-US GPA conversion tables, putting my GPA at around a 3.7 (this is not exact as we do not have a GPA system in England). My question for all of you is what advantages/disadvantages can I expect during the admissions process compared to a prospective student with similar GPA/LSAT scores, considering my undergraduate degree comes from outside the US?

Responses have indicated that my degree classification will not be converted to GPA as I originally thought and will instead be evaluated according to my official transcript.. Could somebody explain what this means and the implications for my applications? If anyone has advice/would like to answer the original question, do feel free to chime in! All answers are welcome!

cavalier1138

Re: UK student applying to US law school

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:38 pm

LSAC will convert your grades into a generic rating (like "Superior"). What that means for you is that your LSAT needs to be >75th for pretty much every school you apply to in order to have a good shot at admission.

ofmattandmen

New

Re: UK student applying to US law school

Post by ofmattandmen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:18 pm

So if my top school was Uchicago, would a first (Im guessing superior) and a 170 lsat be enough as an international applicant?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”