So my friend wants a CPA, MA, and JD Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Pragmatic Gun

Silver

So my friend wants a CPA, MA, and JD

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:58 pm

So my friend is considering becoming a lawyer. He graduated college with a degree in History, Political Science and Accounting. His GPA is a 2.9. He currently works as a livery taxi driver and has been working as such since 2014.

He is studying for his CPA exam. He has passed one of his exams and has had difficulty passing the second one. He plans to obtain his CPA license then find a job as an accountant. Then after that he wants to get a Masters in Risk ManagementThen after that he is considering getting a JD. He's drawn to the law because he believes in justice and helping people out. He is an immigrant who wants to make a foothold in this country.

What do you guys think of this plan? 0Ls need not apply unless they have experience in accounting.

dabigchina

Gold

Re: So my friend wants a CPA, MA, and JD

Post by dabigchina » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Having experience as a CPA is useful when recruiting for firm jobs. Note I said experience. Having 3 extra letters after your name means very little.

As far as whether he should go to law school with a 2.9 GPA, that is a totally different question. He's going to need 172+ to get into T14s or in order to get money from strong regionals. Those are really the only 2 situations in which having a JD on top of a CPA is worth it. Otherwise, working as a CPA makes much more sense.

If he is willing to study until he gets a good LSAT score, then I say go for it.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:36 pm

Also, don't get that masters.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Does he have any idea what he wants to do long term or as an end goal? I'm having trouble imagining a long-term plan where getting all of those degrees and certifications is a good use of time and money.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Why shouldn't he get the Master's? He believes that the title would help him stand and would make him more competitive for firm hiring.

His long term goal is to open his own firm, providing both legal and accounting services as they both overlaps in some respects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Why shouldn't he get the Master's? He believes that the title would help him stand and would make him more competitive for firm hiring.

His long term goal is to open his own firm, providing both legal and accounting services as they both overlaps in some respects.
Because that masters isn't respected.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Post by CPA-->JD » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Even if he passes all the exams he will still need to work for a year under a CPA in order to get licensed so I don't really understand his timeline. He plans on passing the exams, getting a full time job as an accountant, then, while working full time, get a Masters and then go to law school? Why not go straight to law school and try to get Big 4 tax where he will get the requisite experience to open his own shop?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:52 am

dabigchina wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:Why shouldn't he get the Master's? He believes that the title would help him stand and would make him more competitive for firm hiring.

I see. Would you mind elaborating on why it isn't respected? What is your basis for this?

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:18 am

As someone who has worked with hiring at both law firms and in-house, I can tell you nobody would give a flip about an MA in "risk management." The CPA is a nice plus, but it's not worth much without good experience to go along with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:49 am

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

I see. Would you mind elaborating on why it isn't respected? What is your basis for this?
I mean, in addition to actual attorneys in the field telling you it doesn't mean anything, what the hell is an MA in "Risk Management"? What school offers that degree, and what can their graduates do with it?

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”