Will this double major put you at a disadvantage? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawapplicant2017

New

Will this double major put you at a disadvantage?

Post by lawapplicant2017 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:49 am

Alright, I really enjoy the paralegal studies major and the legal undergraduate courses. So, I decided to major in it, and also decided to double major in economics, so my degree program is BA in Economics/Paralegal Studies

I know law schools don't care particularly about majors, as they do LSAT/GPA. But, Ive heard someone say it will look bad to admission committees, that you majored in paralegal studies, because of how its like (studying nursing if you want to be a doctor)

would you say that would put me at a disadvantage or likely they wont care

cavalier1138

Re: Will this double major put you at a disadvantage?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:01 am

No.

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:16 am

lawapplicant2017 wrote:Alright, I really enjoy the paralegal studies major and the legal undergraduate courses. So, I decided to major in it, and also decided to double major in economics, so my degree program is BA in Economics/Paralegal Studies

I know law schools don't care particularly about majors, as they do LSAT/GPA. But, Ive heard someone say it will look bad to admission committees, that you majored in paralegal studies, because of how its like (studying nursing if you want to be a doctor)

would you say that would put me at a disadvantage or likely they wont care
disadvantage

lawapplicant2017

New

Post by lawapplicant2017 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks for the replies. Why the disadvantage?

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:49 am

Schools won't care.

I think it's a turn off for employers. But you can always just put BA Economics on your resume.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:33 pm

lawapplicant2017 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Why the disadvantage?
It isn't. That poster was either trolling or doesn't know what they're talking about.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Assuming OP is being earnest, having "paralegal studies" on your diploma is a bad call. Just do economics. Feel free to take all the coursework you want in the paralegal program, but unless you're hoping to be a paralegal, getting the actual degree would be weird. I do agree that schools won't care. But your classmates will think it's odd. And someday when you're an attorney, a major in "paralegal studies" would be a bad look to have on a firm's website and/or hanging behind your desk.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Assuming OP is being earnest, having "paralegal studies" on your diploma is a bad call. Just do economics. Feel free to take all the coursework you want in the paralegal program, but unless you're hoping to be a paralegal, getting the actual degree would be weird. I do agree that schools won't care. But your classmates will think it's odd. And someday when you're an attorney, a major in "paralegal studies" would be a bad look to have on a firm's website and/or hanging behind your desk.
Agreed. Just skip the paralegal thing. BA in economics is perfectly fine.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:43 pm

grades?? wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Assuming OP is being earnest, having "paralegal studies" on your diploma is a bad call. Just do economics. Feel free to take all the coursework you want in the paralegal program, but unless you're hoping to be a paralegal, getting the actual degree would be weird. I do agree that schools won't care. But your classmates will think it's odd. And someday when you're an attorney, a major in "paralegal studies" would be a bad look to have on a firm's website and/or hanging behind your desk.
Just out of curiosity, why is it looked down upon to have paralegal on your degree? My school didn't have it so I'm not familiar with the major, but why is it looked at any differently than like a major in communications?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:08 pm

chargers21 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why is it looked down upon to have paralegal on your degree? My school didn't have it so I'm not familiar with the major, but why is it looked at any differently than like a major in communications?
It just will look weird. Lawyers are generally conservative, and I could see a bunch of partners I work for not even look more into someones resume if they saw paralegal degree. Like did you not think you were smart enough for law school? It seems like a shi^&y thought process, but I bet you its more likely than we would admit. Not worth the chance in my opinion. It adds nothing of value, at all. Zero. So just do economics. Do all the paralegal classes if OP wants, just don't let that be OP's degree.

Edit: Plus, paralegal degree does not scream rigor and hard classwork. Maybe it is, but without knowing anything it seems like a ploy to just keep a GPA artificially high because OP couldnt cut it in other classes. Not saying this is true at all, but it would another worry.

lawapplicant2017

New

Post by lawapplicant2017 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks everyone for the insight. Its just I am close to a degree in paralegal studies and am all finished with the economics double major, that if I add another major with the ECON, Ill have to take 30 more credit hours.

The degree on the transcript will be BA in Economics and Paralegal Studies

well, how would employers view a resume that said: BA in Economics and Legal Studies would that be misrepresentation? Legal studies doesn't necessarily mean paralegal

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:15 pm

I don't understand. Can you not just get a single major? In economics?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:41 pm

grades?? wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
It just will look weird. Lawyers are generally conservative, and I could see a bunch of partners I work for not even look more into someones resume if they saw paralegal degree. Like did you not think you were smart enough for law school? It seems like a shi^&y thought process, but I bet you its more likely than we would admit. Not worth the chance in my opinion. It adds nothing of value, at all. Zero. So just do economics. Do all the paralegal classes if OP wants, just don't let that be OP's degree.

Edit: Plus, paralegal degree does not scream rigor and hard classwork. Maybe it is, but without knowing anything it seems like a ploy to just keep a GPA artificially high because OP couldnt cut it in other classes. Not saying this is true at all, but it would another worry.
Oh, alright. Yeah, that is a little weird to me. My degree likely isn't seen from the outside as being rigorous, but I never really thought much of it

Also, OP, if the degree says paralegal definitely don't say legal

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:37 pm

lawapplicant2017 wrote:Thanks everyone for the insight. Its just I am close to a degree in paralegal studies and am all finished with the economics double major, that if I add another major with the ECON, Ill have to take 30 more credit hours.

well, how would employers view a resume that said: BA in Economics and Legal Studies would that be misrepresentation? Legal studies doesn't necessarily mean paralegal
If your Bachelor's is in "Paralegal Studies", then yes, it would be misrepresentation. I also don't understand why you're insisting on double-majoring.

It's not going to affect your school chances in the slightest, but as mentioned by others, employers will look askance at the Paralegal Studies degree, because it's seen as a soft option.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:06 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
lawapplicant2017 wrote:Thanks everyone for the insight. Its just I am close to a degree in paralegal studies and am all finished with the economics double major, that if I add another major with the ECON, Ill have to take 30 more credit hours.

If your Bachelor's is in "Paralegal Studies", then yes, it would be misrepresentation. I also don't understand why you're insisting on double-majoring.
Yeah. Hey OP: double majoring doesn't help you at all. I mean, if you had a specific career goal in mind that would benefit from a second major—like you wanted to go into patent law and accordingly pursued a second major in engineering—that might make sense. But double majoring for the sake of double majoring is senseless. It won't help you with your legal career, or any career for that matter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”