how to get law school deferment on current loans? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
uhwrestler

Bronze

how to get law school deferment on current loans?

Post by uhwrestler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi guys,

what is the process to defer my student loans for law school?

i have federal loans from my masters degree that i need to defer for law school

will they be deferred automatically or will i have to apply?
and if i have to apply do i have to wait until after i am enrolled in law school in august or can i start right now?

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: how to get law school deferment on current loans?

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Maybe your ivy league law school can answer this question for you. Or, you know, google is a good resource too.

DriveLikeNashvillian

New

Post by DriveLikeNashvillian » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:40 pm

uhwrestler wrote:Hi guys,

what is the process to defer my student loans for law school?

i have federal loans from my masters degree that i need to defer for law school

will they be deferred automatically or will i have to apply?
and if i have to apply do i have to wait until after i am enrolled in law school in august or can i start right now?
Contact your loan servicer and they'll walk you through it. iirc, I just had to fill out a form updating that I'm going to be enrolled in grad school for 2017-2018

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:15 pm

What did your loan servicer say when you called them?

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:51 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Maybe your ivy league law school can answer this question for you. Or, you know, google is a good resource too.
mods, please ban this troll

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:04 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Maybe your ivy league law school can answer this question for you. Or, you know, google is a good resource too.
you have almost 4000 posts on an internet forum.......lol dude go get a girlfriend......or boyfriend (whichever you prefer)

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:44 pm

uhwrestler wrote:
you have almost 4000 posts on an internet forum.......lol dude go get a girlfriend......or boyfriend (whichever you prefer)
Oh man. If I'm that close, the last thing I need is a girlfriend!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:33 pm

uhwrestler wrote:
I think I'm going to create a new rule that anyone who comes here looking for advice and then mocks people who hang around here to give advice for having a lot of posts is getting banned.

That said, lymen, just don't answer the question if you don't want to.

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:
I think I'm going to create a new rule that anyone who comes here looking for advice and then mocks people who hang around here to give advice for having a lot of posts is getting banned.

that would be a convenient rule for you mr. 26000 posts...jesus Christ man do they at least pay you to post

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:22 pm

uhwrestler wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:

that would be a convenient rule for you mr. 26000 posts...jesus Christ man do they at least pay you to post
Well, duh, of course it would be convenient for me. It still makes you look like a jerk when you mock people for posting the advice you've come here trying to find.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:

Google will show him to his loan servicer who has their rules. And if its anything like mine, which im almost certain it is, it can be defered by a form or automatically by the school. So if he contacts his school they can tell him their policy. I did answer his question.

Eta: but your suggestion is noted.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:41 pm

And that's true, you did answer.

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:43 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:

Google will show him to his loan servicer who has their rules. And if its anything like mine, which im almost certain it is, it can be defered by a form or automatically by the school. So if he contacts his school they can tell him their policy. I did answer his question.

one more question about your form.....were you able to complete it before enrolling in law school or did you have to wait until you enrolled?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Even if you can file the form sooner, I'm pretty sure you will have to wait till you're enrolled actually to defer - after all, you defer by being a student, and you're not a student till you're enrolled; there's nothing stopping you from having a job and paying off your loans until you're a student again.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:47 pm

uhwrestler wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:

one more question about your form.....were you able to complete it before enrolling in law school or did you have to wait until you enrolled?
Youre supposed to get it verified or something by the registrar, but i found an online form from my servicer. I think i did it a couple weeks before classes started but it wasnt approved until after classes started, or close to thereabouts. What nony said, basically

JDforRE

New

Post by JDforRE » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:57 pm

My law school reports directly to a clearinghouse, which should, report to your loan providers. However, this process noted that it took up to 60 days from the school reporting date, then a certain ammount of time after that for your loan service providers to see that. Just to be safe I contacted the providers, obtained a form, had the law school fill it out and returned it.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 pm

uhwrestler wrote:Hi guys
What UH has a wrestling program? (Sincere question)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:10 am

Wipfelder wrote:
no it doesnt i only wrestled in high school....and i attended uh so i just thought of uhwrestler as a username

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:37 am

uhwrestler wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
no it doesnt i only wrestled in high school....and i attended uh so i just thought of uhwrestler as a username
Ah okay, although I think U Houston (I'm sure there are many UH's) does have a club team.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”