T6 v. Trial Advocacy Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sublime

Diamond

Re: T6 v. Trial Advocacy

Post by sublime » Mon May 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Soup2Nuts wrote:
IExistedOnceBefore wrote:Where do you want to be a lawyer?
Perfect world? Any decent sized city in CO. I went there on vacation a few times as a kid and love it. LIke the cold. Like dark gloomy days. So Seattle would be nice too. I have no ties to these regions or specific places.

I could work in Texas or FL and be just as happy. I have ties in FL and in TX. Other than that, nothing really stands out. Cali, NYC and the like. Not long term. I dont want to pay the taxes.

You seem like a shitty person.

Also, FL is much harder to get to than TX, at least for entry level firm jobs.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Mon May 29, 2017 1:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:All I'm saying, S2N, is that asking me where the "action" is isn't going to get you a helpful answer because I have no idea what you mean by that. So if you're going to have to define it for me so I can answer you might as well just say more specifically what you're looking for.
Well we could talk about action in general and maybe that would help OP decide what action he wants
Like most ppl would probably agree that going to court is "action"
I've also seen threads of new big law associates asking each other how often/how soon they got to take depositions so that might count as "action " for some
giving legal advice directly to a client might be "action"
But for the majority of legal jobs (at least starting out) the majority of what you do every probably is *not* action so it might also be helpful to talk about where the action is not, if that makes sense.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon May 29, 2017 2:00 pm

stego wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:Lol at your "problems that no one knows about" goals. Go be a psych.
He said "problems that not everyone knows about." If you're going to make fun of people at least quote them correctly.
:oops: i am so ashamed.
Soup2Nuts wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:Lol at your "problems that no one knows about" goals. Go be a psych.
Knowing about peoples problems and offering non-legal life advice about those problems are 2 different things. Maybe you should go read what a psych actually does before trying to reconcile what I find interesting and basically saying "youre in the wrong profession". Get a clue.
you are oblivious for a person in their 30s. Maybe undergrad really does educate people. Have fun a learn lots!

Also..."Get a clue" says the guy who has no idea what lawyers do day to day.

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Mon May 29, 2017 2:04 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:All I'm saying, S2N, is that asking me where the "action" is isn't going to get you a helpful answer because I have no idea what you mean by that. So if you're going to have to define it for me so I can answer you might as well just say more specifically what you're looking for.
Kinda like you said earlier, being involved in many things. Always on the go. Shakin and movin. Makin deals. Solve multiple different problems a day.

Another way, in my mind, how I would view "action" is thinking of ways to get "around" law that is written. Obviously not unethically, but using the law to my clients advantage. Outsmarting either the letter of the law or a person in a clever, plausible way.

I realize all this is a fantasy, but if i can start my search based on what real world practices can come close to some of these things then that would be great, so I can tailor my expectations to reality. For example, if one practice offers a lot of deal making and nothing else, I would still like to hear about it because I can research and see if that is something I could tolerate or not.

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Mon May 29, 2017 2:05 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
stego wrote:
He said "problems that not everyone knows about." If you're going to make fun of people at least quote them correctly.
:oops: i am so ashamed.
Soup2Nuts wrote:
Knowing about peoples problems and offering non-legal life advice about those problems are 2 different things. Maybe you should go read what a psych actually does before trying to reconcile what I find interesting and basically saying "youre in the wrong profession". Get a clue.
you are oblivious for a person in their 30s. Maybe undergrad really does educate people. Have fun a learn lots!

Also..."Get a clue" says the guy who has no idea what lawyers do day to day.
Attacking me personally about being in my 30s and "oblivious" is hardly a decent rebuttal to what I said. Typical for someone who cant refute what is being said.

Also, isnt this where one would come to get a clue about such things about what lawyers do day to day? You are an imbecile for trying to use "get a clue" the same way i did you, when the premise is no where near the same. Lmao.
Last edited by Soup2Nuts on Mon May 29, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Soup2Nuts wrote:Kinda like you said earlier, being involved in many things. Always on the go. Shakin and movin. Makin deals. Solve multiple different problems a day.
Well, it seems like you really like corporate buzzwords, so maybe corporate biglaw?

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Mon May 29, 2017 2:08 pm

stego wrote:
Well we could talk about action in general and maybe that would help OP decide what action he wants
Like most ppl would probably agree that going to court is "action"
I've also seen threads of new big law associates asking each other how often/how soon they got to take depositions so that might count as "action " for some
Giving legal advice directly to a client might be "action"
But for the majority of legal jobs (at least starting out) the majority of what you do every probably is *not* action so it might also be helpful to talk about where the action is not, if that makes sense.
Precisely.

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Mon May 29, 2017 2:08 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Soup2Nuts wrote:Kinda like you said earlier, being involved in many things. Always on the go. Shakin and movin. Makin deals. Solve multiple different problems a day.
Well, it seems like you really like corporate buzzwords, so maybe corporate biglaw?

That is an option. I said this earlier.

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Mon May 29, 2017 2:12 pm

sublime wrote:
Soup2Nuts wrote:
IExistedOnceBefore wrote:Where do you want to be a lawyer?
Perfect world? Any decent sized city in CO. I went there on vacation a few times as a kid and love it. LIke the cold. Like dark gloomy days. So Seattle would be nice too. I have no ties to these regions or specific places.

I could work in Texas or FL and be just as happy. I have ties in FL and in TX. Other than that, nothing really stands out. Cali, NYC and the like. Not long term. I dont want to pay the taxes.

You seem like a shitty person.
lmao, why is that?
Last edited by Soup2Nuts on Mon May 29, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Soup2Nuts wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

You'd certainly be interacting with lots of people who say shit like "Shakin and movin" or "Makin deals" on a regular basis. That's pretty action-packed. I guess the problem is that we don't know if you're looking for more of a Vin Diesel sort of action, or a Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson sort of action.

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Mon May 29, 2017 2:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Soup2Nuts wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

You'd certainly be interacting with lots of people who say shit like "Shakin and movin" or "Makin deals" on a regular basis. That's pretty action-packed. I guess the problem is that we don't know if you're looking for more of a Vin Diesel sort of action, or a Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson sort of action.
Lmao, im sorry, i didnt know i had to talk all proper around here. Does my non-use of the "g" bother you just that much. Does my street vernacular outside of academia appall you that much. Lmfao, this is gold.

im simply talking like i would in NORMAL human interaction. Im sure thats a stretch for people like you. Normal and all that.
Last edited by Soup2Nuts on Mon May 29, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Mon May 29, 2017 2:18 pm

Soup2Nuts wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

So if you want to keep this as an option, you need to go to a T14 or strong regional in the area you want to end up (preferably one where you have ties, but you don't seem to want to stay in the areas you already have ties).

Also, it seems like you're chasing prestige or importance. I"m not passing judgment on that -- I just mean you seem to want to do big important things and be a big deal. If you want to make deals and be a mover and shaker, then you should be aiming for corporate law I guess. You're likely not going to get that as a solo or a PD or an ADA, etc.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Mon May 29, 2017 2:23 pm

blueapple wrote:
So if you want to keep this as an option, you need to go to a T14 or strong regional in the area you want to end up (preferably one where you have ties, but you don't seem to want to stay in the areas you already have ties).

Also, it seems like you're chasing prestige or importance. I"m not passing judgment on that -- I just mean you seem to want to do big important things and be a big deal. If you want to make deals and be a mover and shaker, then you should be aiming for corporate law I guess. You're likely not going to get that as a solo or a PD or an ADA, etc.
Not chasing prestige, i just think jobs like that have less down (boring) time than most. Most of my jobs have been of fast paced, high pressure, results driven jobs. Ive tried to go the "safe" route. I just end up getting bored. I dont know if that makes any sense to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Mon May 29, 2017 2:24 pm

OP maybe you should finish your first semester of undergrad before worrying about this.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 29, 2017 2:26 pm

Soup2Nuts wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Soup2Nuts wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Lmao, im sorry, i didnt know i had to talk all proper around here. Does my non-use of the "g" bother you just that much. Does my street vernacular outside of academia appall you that much. Lmfao, this is gold.

im simply talking like i would in NORMAL human interaction. Im sure thats a stretch for people like you. Normal and all that.
I don't think the issue is the lack of a g, it's that you're talking entirely in generalities. I don't know what shaking and moving means to you. Though in light of what you said to blueapple, I don't know if you would like corporate law. I guess it depends if all-nighters to get deals done would be fast-paced/high-pressure for you, or not.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon May 29, 2017 2:27 pm

ernie wrote:OP maybe you should finish your first semester of undergrad before worrying about this.
Honestly it sounds like OP wants to be on Suits or some similar tv show.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Mon May 29, 2017 2:29 pm

blueapple wrote:
Soup2Nuts wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Downside to this is many corporate lawyers rarely or never appear in court. Some people on this website don't even think what transactional lawyers do is "real" lawyering.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Mon May 29, 2017 2:32 pm

stego wrote:
blueapple wrote:
Soup2Nuts wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Downside to this is many corporate lawyers rarely or never appear in court. Some people on this website don't even think what transactional lawyers do is "real" lawyering.
Yes, this is definitely true. OP, you will probably have to decide between making deals/being a mover and shaker (transactional) & going to court (litigation). And you won't be making deals until you're a partner which you don't seem to want to do so I guess I don't know what advice to give, actually.

Any reason you're not interested in getting an MBA or going into consulting or something?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon May 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Even partners don't "make deals."

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon May 29, 2017 2:40 pm

your assumptions are way off. Maybe you should lurk and learn before sounding like an idiot in front of people. SCOTUS clerks are behind a desk and not all facets of impact lit are in court (many are behind the scenes). So prestige =! Action/"not behind a desk" (or whatever phrase you used)

You want results driven? Open a solo and work on a contingency fee basis. Oh yea, but finish (read:start) UG first. Its kind of a pre-req.

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Mon May 29, 2017 2:45 pm

blueapple wrote: Yes, this is definitely true. OP, you will probably have to decide between making deals/being a mover and shaker (transactional) & going to court (litigation). And you won't be making deals until you're a partner which you don't seem to want to do so I guess I don't know what advice to give, actually.

Any reason you're not interested in getting an MBA or going into consulting or something?
Ok, so now this helps me. So now my next question is, how does anyone ever start their own firm and what are the more "common" practices do those tend to be?

MBA is just so over-saturated/not useful IMO. Everyone has an MBA these days, it seems.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon May 29, 2017 2:48 pm

Soup2Nuts wrote:
blueapple wrote: Yes, this is definitely true. OP, you will probably have to decide between making deals/being a mover and shaker (transactional) & going to court (litigation). And you won't be making deals until you're a partner which you don't seem to want to do so I guess I don't know what advice to give, actually.

Ok, so now this helps me. So now my next question is, how does anyone ever start their own firm and what are the more "common" practices do those tend to be?

MBA is just so over-saturated/not useful IMO. Everyone has an MBA these days, it seems.
What grade of college are you going to be in next year?

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Mon May 29, 2017 2:49 pm

lymenheimer wrote:your assumptions are way off. Maybe you should lurk and learn before sounding like an idiot in front of people. SCOTUS clerks are behind a desk and not all facets of impact lit are in court (many are behind the scenes). So prestige =! Action/"not behind a desk" (or whatever phrase you used)

You want results driven? Open a solo and work on a contingency fee basis. Oh yea, but finish (read:start) UG first. Its kind of a pre-req.

Correct me if im wrong, doesnt invoking discussion promote learning? Thats all Im doing. Im trying to learn and maybe someone else will. Second, I never said anything about prestige. Also, I already stated i am wanting (if i can) to do a solo thing.

Lastly, dont assume fuck all about me. Ive learked plenty. These are questions tailored to me, which is the point of opening a thread? Right? I mean unless i misunderstood what the fuck an actual forum is. Now, if you cant be of assistance, then just stop replying. Thanks.

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Mon May 29, 2017 2:51 pm

Npret wrote:What grade of college are you going to be in next year?
Does it really matter? I have these questions now.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Mon May 29, 2017 2:51 pm

Soup2Nuts wrote:

People who start their own firms generally tend to practice family law, wills & estates, maybe landlord/tenant, that kind of stuff. Maybe someone who has solo'd or is more familiar than I am can chime in. It involves a lot of hustle and is generally not prestigious but often is interesting in that you are hustling and can be in court a lot if you want to and have a lot of variety in your day, I think.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”