CPA to JD Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Labehemoth

New

CPA to JD

Post by Labehemoth » Tue May 23, 2017 1:43 am

Hello everyone,

I'm posting to ask about if I can use a CPA and a JD together. I've heard that their are laws about marketing or something that makes it difficult to be a "one man shop" but I can't find much information and I've asked around but I didn't get a response from the attorney-CPA association.

I'm in Ohio, I'm not sure if it's state specific. I'm interested in real estate and taxes. I was hoping to go to a part-time school, so I have limited options. Thanks in advance. :D

Edit: I'm talking about opening my own office and performing both CPA and JD duties.
Last edited by Labehemoth on Tue May 23, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Re: CPA to JD

Post by KMart » Tue May 23, 2017 1:55 am

Labehemoth wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm posting to ask about if I can use a CPA and a JD together. I've heard that their are laws about marketing or something that makes it difficult to be a "one man shop" but I can't find much information and I've asked around but I didn't get a response from the attorney-CPA association.

I'm in Ohio, I'm not sure if it's state specific. I'm interested in real estate and taxes. I was hoping to go to a part-time school, so I have limited options. Thanks in advance. :D
a CPA would help you insofar as firms might be more likely to hire you, but it's by no means overly necessary. the background knowledge might give you a leg up on stuff like tax law, but the firm isn't going to pay you any different.

im not entirely sure by what you mean together. if you practice re/tax, you will use your background accounting knowledge to understand what's going on at some level and then apply your JD to actually solve the client's needs.

if you don't want to practice law, you shouldnt pay the money for a JD.

Labehemoth

New

Post by Labehemoth » Tue May 23, 2017 2:09 am

Sorry about the confusion, by "one man shop", I mean I want to have my own practice. I have no intentions of applying at any law firms. I see CPA offices and JD offices around town. I'd like to do both. I thought it would give me a leg up. But I've been told that there are legal problems or something.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Tue May 30, 2017 11:20 am

Labehemoth wrote:Sorry about the confusion, by "one man shop", I mean I want to have my own practice. I have no intentions of applying at any law firms. I see CPA offices and JD offices around town. I'd like to do both. I thought it would give me a leg up. But I've been told that there are legal problems or something.
People aren't going to give you legal advice on this forum. For that, you should consult a real-life attorney. If I were you, I'd try to find an Ohio attorney specializing in professional responsibility, the regulation of lawyers, or some other similar specialty.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”