K-JD with work experience? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
randomkiddo

New

K-JD with work experience?

Post by randomkiddo » Sun May 21, 2017 11:21 am

Will this result in me getting stuck with the "zero experience" stigma accompanying most K-JDs?

I'm basically done with my credits, but due to some administrative problems (some course that used to count doesn't anymore) there's still these 2 courses I have to take for my major (each offered fall and spring semester, so can't get them out of the way in summer). In other words, I won't officially graduate until next year.

However, I already have:
- 2 summers of research internships
- 1 summer of industry internship (am engineering - was a serious experience, not just coffee runs)
- 1 year of research internship

Next year I plan to do industry work in addition to finishing up those two classes.

TL;DR - I am applying in the 2017-2018 cycle. Transcript says I will graduate in 2018, aka this kid's applying straight out of graduation. Experience looks limited to internships/research. Will this, plus the work I plan to do, count as experience in their minds?

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: K-JD with work experience?

Post by BigZuck » Sun May 21, 2017 11:31 am

Work experience=job. None of those are jobs.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun May 21, 2017 11:38 am

BigZuck wrote:Work experience=job. None of those are jobs.
Yeah this still means you're a K-JD

If the internships or whatever provided some interesting experience then sure talk that up if you can in interviews and such, but no one's going to equate that stuff with a real full-time job.

randomkiddo

New

Post by randomkiddo » Sun May 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Cool, thanks so much for your help.

Does a full-time job done concurrently during (part-time) enrollment count?

Ignore the internship stuff, shouldn't have put that in there. I mean the last thing mentioned, which I will do while I finish up my credits.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun May 21, 2017 3:00 pm

randomkiddo wrote:Cool, thanks so much for your help.

Does a full-time job done concurrently during (part-time) enrollment count?

Ignore the internship stuff, shouldn't have put that in there. I mean the last thing mentioned, which I will do while I finish up my credits.
If it's full time, then you are not K-JD.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sun May 21, 2017 3:37 pm

randomkiddo wrote:Will this result in me getting stuck with the "zero experience" stigma accompanying most K-JDs?

I'm basically done with my credits, but due to some administrative problems (some course that used to count doesn't anymore) there's still these 2 courses I have to take for my major (each offered fall and spring semester, so can't get them out of the way in summer). In other words, I won't officially graduate until next year.

However, I already have:
- 2 summers of research internships
- 1 summer of industry internship (am engineering - was a serious experience, not just coffee runs)
- 1 year of research internship

Next year I plan to do industry work in addition to finishing up those two classes.

TL;DR - I am applying in the 2017-2018 cycle. Transcript says I will graduate in 2018, aka this kid's applying straight out of graduation. Experience looks limited to internships/research. Will this, plus the work I plan to do, count as experience in their minds?
If the courses still counted towards graduation at the time you took them, you should fight the administration on this. You should be grandfathered in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”