question about cas/ugpa importance Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kaiguy101

New

question about cas/ugpa importance

Post by kaiguy101 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Hey guys,

I have checked out these forums for a couple months now in preparation for applying to law school for the 2018 calendar year and more often than not I have been able to locate the answers to questions I have had. That begin said, I find myself in a particular dilemma regarding the evaluation of CAS gpa as opposed to institution specific ugpa. My upga is 3.9 whereas my lsac report (using lsac gpa calculator not official) weighs in at 3.8. Obviously, when applying to a top 14 a .1 is a pretty huge difference. Therefore, I'm wondering a couple of things. First, are all "reported" gpa derived from the cas report? Second, is it necessary to add a little attachment to my application which explains that I took a few credits at a community college when I wasn't physically healthy and they transferred poorly? Third, is it actually true that a school will notice that these credits were taken before I had even matriculated into my university and as such will weigh them with less emphasis? Thanks for reading this and I look forward to your responses.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Re: question about cas/ugpa importance

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sun May 21, 2017 2:54 am

kaiguy101 wrote:Hey guys,

I have checked out these forums for a couple months now in preparation for applying to law school for the 2018 calendar year and more often than not I have been able to locate the answers to questions I have had. That begin said, I find myself in a particular dilemma regarding the evaluation of CAS gpa as opposed to institution specific ugpa. My upga is 3.9 whereas my lsac report (using lsac gpa calculator not official) weighs in at 3.8. Obviously, when applying to a top 14 a .1 is a pretty huge difference. Therefore, I'm wondering a couple of things. First, are all "reported" gpa derived from the cas report? Second, is it necessary to add a little attachment to my application which explains that I took a few credits at a community college when I wasn't physically healthy and they transferred poorly? Third, is it actually true that a school will notice that these credits were taken before I had even matriculated into my university and as such will weigh them with less emphasis? Thanks for reading this and I look forward to your responses.
Unfortunately your GPA is a 3.8, not 3.9, in the eyes of law schools. Fortunately, that's a damn good GPA, so if you get a 168+ you'll get in to lower T13 schools, and if you get 170+ you'll have a great shot at CCN. Aim for 173+ for HYS. Good luck :D

Return to “Ask a Law Student”