Gap year or Class of 2020? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
unaisla

New

Gap year or Class of 2020?

Post by unaisla » Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Hello everyone!

I got admitted into a school with almost half scholarship. While at the same time my newly married husband and I are starting a company in China. The upcoming year will be a crucial year for the company to develop and our marriage. And It is hard for my husband to handle it just by himself since he doesn't speak any Mandarin. However, I have been looking forward to going to law school for so long and don't want to lose my scholarship. Under such circumstance should I take a gap year to devolpe the company and marriage or go to law school and maintain a long distance realtionship? I know this sounds like a dumb question but i'm really struggling with it. Thank you for the help!!!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Gap year or Class of 2020?

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 08, 2017 9:38 pm

unaisla wrote:Hello everyone!

I got admitted into a school with almost half scholarship. While at the same time my newly married husband and I are starting a company in China. The upcoming year will be a crucial year for the company to develop and our marriage. And It is hard for my husband to handle it just by himself since he doesn't speak any Mandarin. However, I have been looking forward to going to law school for so long and don't want to lose my scholarship. Under such circumstance should I take a gap year to devolpe the company and marriage or go to law school and maintain a long distance realtionship? I know this sounds like a dumb question but i'm really struggling with it. Thank you for the help!!!
Go with your husband. Build the business. Build your marriage. Figure out sometime in the future when you can make law school a reality (if you ever decide it's the right move for you personally/professionally). Law school isn't going anywhere. Your LSAT is good for up to 5 years, and your numbers won't change. You are likely to have similar options/scholarships if you apply in 1, 2, or 3 years from now. There is literally no rush.

Play the long game here.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Gap year or Class of 2020?

Post by Rigo » Mon May 15, 2017 5:38 pm

I'd do the gap year. Law school will always be there, whereas this opportunity won't.
Retake for a full ride while you're in China too!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”