How bad will 2 recent DUI's affect law school application? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hesitant to apply

New

How bad will 2 recent DUI's affect law school application?

Post by hesitant to apply » Sun May 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I have made some pretty awful mistakes and totally regret them, but I am curious of how this will affect me into getting accepted into law school and if there is anything I can do to help gain admission?
I am 22 years old and received both DUI's within the last 2 years. I am hoping to attend a top 50 law school with a UGPA at 3.4 and an LSAT at 161 now and shooting for 170. I was very active in school and my other soft parts to my applications are very good. Clearly the two DUI's is the most glaring aspect of my application now though. I am just about to really start studying for the LSAT and with the test coming up in 4 months I am here asking if the two DUI's will hurt my chances at law school so much I should not even apply? (Taking my LSAT score at both 161 and 170). If this will not completely ruin my chances what should I do to try and help my chances of getting accepted? Is there a percent you could throw out to give me an idea of how bad this will hurt my chances?
Thank you everybody in advance for helping me out!

Platopus

Gold

Re: How bad will 2 recent DUI's affect law school application?

Post by Platopus » Sun May 07, 2017 10:56 pm

It's not good, Adcoms will look very negatively on this, especially since you had 2 within 2 years, it shows no change in attitude or any sort of personal growth. Even with the right numbers, you're going to receive a lot rejections. At this point, you really don't even have the material for a compelling addendum. At 22 you would benefit greatly from 3-5 years of WE to get this all behind you. In 3-5 years you will still need to write a very compelling addendum showing that you have matured a great deal.

edit: If you do decide to attempt law school this year or even the next, you would probably benefit from some sort of professional service to help you put together an application. In the meantime, it may be even worthwhile to consider voluntary substance abuse counseling. You need to illustrate that you are actively working to better yourself.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun May 07, 2017 11:19 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun May 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Even in the best of circumstances, it's not a great idea to go to law school at 22. But you, in particular, need some life experience first. Put some distance between yourself and the DUIs. Law school will still be there in two or three (or five) years.

Lexigator

New

Post by Lexigator » Mon May 08, 2017 3:06 am

You should watch OZ. That might provide some motivation towards safe driving.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon May 08, 2017 6:28 am

hesitant to apply wrote:Hello everyone,

I have made some pretty awful mistakes and totally regret them, but I am curious of how this will affect me into getting accepted into law school and if there is anything I can do to help gain admission?
I am 22 years old and received both DUI's within the last 2 years. I am hoping to attend a top 50 law school with a UGPA at 3.4 and an LSAT at 161 now and shooting for 170. I was very active in school and my other soft parts to my applications are very good. Clearly the two DUI's is the most glaring aspect of my application now though. I am just about to really start studying for the LSAT and with the test coming up in 4 months I am here asking if the two DUI's will hurt my chances at law school so much I should not even apply? (Taking my LSAT score at both 161 and 170). If this will not completely ruin my chances what should I do to try and help my chances of getting accepted? Is there a percent you could throw out to give me an idea of how bad this will hurt my chances?
Thank you everybody in advance for helping me out!
You have a serious problem if you think law school is the biggest issue with two episodes in two years ( where you've been caught) of drunk driving.

Get your act together before you kill someone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”