Failing a class right before graduation/attending law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
goofaloof

New

Failing a class right before graduation/attending law school?

Post by goofaloof » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Hello,

I hope all is well. I am a government and economics double major in undergrad right now and I am planning on attending a law school in the fall. I'm not doing super well in one of my classes right now and there is a very strong possibility that I will fail the class. If I fail, I cannot graduate with that degree and I've already tried talking to the professor and asking to do extra work. He won't budge. Would a law school rescind my admission for the failing grade or removing my government major so that I can still graduate on time?

Mullens

Silver

Re: Failing a class right before graduation/attending law school?

Post by Mullens » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:43 pm

goofaloof wrote:Hello,

I hope all is well. I am a government and economics double major in undergrad right now and I am planning on attending a law school in the fall. I'm not doing super well in one of my classes right now and there is a very strong possibility that I will fail the class. If I fail, I cannot graduate with that degree and I've already tried talking to the professor and asking to do extra work. He won't budge. Would a law school rescind my admission for the failing grade or removing my government major so that I can still graduate on time?
Yes it's possible that the school will rescind admission. This situation is one of the only reasons why a law school might rescind admission. Not guaranteed but you should be aware that it's possible.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Which law school is it? And is there literally nothing you can do to pass this class?

Alpal29

New

Post by Alpal29 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Call the school and ask what happens if you need to drop a second major (that you didn't care about anyway it was just nice to get in because you had completely the coursework) that you had declared to them in your application. Ask if they would like you to send an update to your file about dropping the major and if that would be okay. Also see if you can still get a minor in the subject and if that's the case ask the school if they need you to update your file from a major turned into a minor for scheduling and logistics issues. This part is likely to be a non issue.

Mention NOTHING about falling the class to the school when you call. If you can still, somehow, withdraw non-punitively, take the W. '

If you can't drop and your set to fail, where are you attending law school? At this point if you're set to fail and lose the major, well, now you have to disclose to the law school and they may rescind admissions. Try the other route first.

If that doesn't work and you're looking like failing and having to tell the school, well I'm not one for playing games like this and also want to first note that I am a firm believer that you should accept consequences but...

If you're really determined and set to go to law school you need to go over your professor. You need to either go to the department head or the dean and plead your case. Explain how it will affect your law school admittance and that you are willing to do any extra work you can to get the grade up and that you don't want to have your acceptance withdrawn. If you can subtly hint it may look bad on your undergraduate institution if you have your acceptance withdrawn go for it, but honestly that requires a finess.

Heads up though, a D your last semester is also going to cause concern, so try and W it.

goofaloof

New

Post by goofaloof » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:19 pm

Alpal29 wrote:Call the school and ask what happens if you need to drop a second major (that you didn't care about anyway it was just nice to get in because you had completely the coursework) that you had declared to them in your application. Ask if they would like you to send an update to your file about dropping the major and if that would be okay. Also see if you can still get a minor in the subject and if that's the case ask the school if they need you to update your file from a major turned into a minor for scheduling and logistics issues. This part is likely to be a non issue.

Mention NOTHING about falling the class to the school when you call. If you can still, somehow, withdraw non-punitively, take the W. '

If you can't drop and your set to fail, where are you attending law school? At this point if you're set to fail and lose the major, well, now you have to disclose to the law school and they may rescind admissions. Try the other route first.

If that doesn't work and you're looking like failing and having to tell the school, well I'm not one for playing games like this and also want to first note that I am a firm believer that you should accept consequences but...

If you're really determined and set to go to law school you need to go over your professor. You need to either go to the department head or the dean and plead your case. Explain how it will affect your law school admittance and that you are willing to do any extra work you can to get the grade up and that you don't want to have your acceptance withdrawn. If you can subtly hint it may look bad on your undergraduate institution if you have your acceptance withdrawn go for it, but honestly that requires a finess.

Heads up though, a D your last semester is also going to cause concern, so try and W it.
Mullens wrote:

Yes it's possible that the school will rescind admission. This situation is one of the only reasons why a law school might rescind admission. Not guaranteed but you should be aware that it's possible.
cavalier1138 wrote:Which law school is it? And is there literally nothing you can do to pass this class?
Thanks y'all. It's Arizona State University Law. I've tried talking to the professor, but this guy refuses to help anyone out. The class average is a 61 and he still refuses to curve or offer extra credit. I'm meeting with the TA tomorrow and the department on Thursday, and hoping for the best.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 pm

goofaloof wrote:
Alpal29 wrote:Call the school and ask what happens if you need to drop a second major (that you didn't care about anyway it was just nice to get in because you had completely the coursework) that you had declared to them in your application. Ask if they would like you to send an update to your file about dropping the major and if that would be okay. Also see if you can still get a minor in the subject and if that's the case ask the school if they need you to update your file from a major turned into a minor for scheduling and logistics issues. This part is likely to be a non issue.

Mullens wrote:

cavalier1138 wrote:Which law school is it? And is there literally nothing you can do to pass this class?
Thanks y'all. It's Arizona State University Law. I've tried talking to the professor, but this guy refuses to help anyone out. The class average is a 61 and he still refuses to curve or offer extra credit. I'm meeting with the TA tomorrow and the department on Thursday, and hoping for the best.
If the Class Average is really a 61 the department head won't let that happen. It's a nightmare administratively to fail that many people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”