JD/LLM? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
MooseMan

New

JD/LLM?

Post by MooseMan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm headed to BU in the fall, and I am curious about their JD/LLM in international & european business law. I've seen that the general sentiment is that non-tax LLMs can be a waste of time. This program is 3 years total and includes studying 3L in Madrid. Does anyone have experience with this type of program (JD/LLM)? I'm just putting feelers out, because it seems like a cool program, but spending a full year at a different school seems kinda crazy (in Spain no less). Any insights?

cavalier1138

Re: JD/LLM?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Are you paying extra for it? If not, I don't see any harm in getting the extra degree thrown in. The reason most people don't recommend additional LLM study is that it's an additional year, usually at sticker.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Also, if you get a post-grad job through OCI/2L summer, spending 3L in Spain would be awesome. If you're still looking for a job during 3L, being in Spain would probably make things difficult.

MooseMan

New

Post by MooseMan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Are you paying extra for it? If not, I don't see any harm in getting the extra degree thrown in. The reason most people don't recommend additional LLM study is that it's an additional year, usually at sticker.
It's just normal tuition and you finish both in 3 years! Definitely a good point by Nony about the job search though.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:01 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, if you get a post-grad job through OCI/2L summer, spending 3L in Spain would be awesome. If you're still looking for a job during 3L, being in Spain would probably make things difficult.
This was my primary reservation - I don't know your plans or what this program entails, OP, but it's worth considering if the program is ever going to take you away from campus at times when you'll want to be around to look for a job or network or whatever (hopefully less of an issue during 3L).

Relatedly, sometimes accelerated study or joint degree programs require a summer term when you might be better served by getting work experience. Don't know if that's the case with yours either.

ETA Looks like it isn't and that most of the effects of this particular program are confined to 3L (they take a maximum of two BU students per year, though?). Good luck, OP, with whatever you decide.

MooseMan

New

Post by MooseMan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:29 am

mjb447 wrote: (they take a maximum of two BU students per year, though?). Good luck, OP, with whatever you decide.
Yeah, only two. I'm definitely aware that it would likely not happen even if I was interested. I'm also a 0L, so very far away from this being a reality. I just wanted to see what the TLS sage wisdom was on a program of this type.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”