Applications for next cycle Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Lwschkmabe11

New

Applications for next cycle

Post by Lwschkmabe11 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:39 pm

When do applications open for those of use applying for the 2018 cycle? I already took my LSAT and am wondering how to get a head start on applications. Already have one LOR in, will request transcripts after this semester, and already paid for CAS. Any other way to start prepping for my cycle?
Last edited by Lwschkmabe11 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btruj777

Bronze

Re: Applications for next cycle

Post by btruj777 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Almost certain it is early September or late August

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Is your PS done? That's the big thing. You could knock out a dozen applications in a few hours if everything else was ready. The actual applications are pretty easy and they autofill almost everything after you finish the first one.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:06 pm

2019?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:16 pm

start your why x essays. find specific reasons you want to attend each school your applying to

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:20 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:start your why x essays. find specific reasons you want to attend each school your applying to

"Because your school is ranked X on USNWR" is an acceptable reason by the way :o

Lwschkmabe11

New

Post by Lwschkmabe11 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:43 pm

amta wrote:2019?
meant 2018. obvs I'm not prepping 2 years in advance

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:37 am

Definitely not a bad idea to start on your PS. I started mine late, thinking it would be a quick turn around but I ended up writing a ton of different drafts before I liked it and it delayed my cycle a bit. Start it early with low stress, get lots of other eyes on it, plenty of time to revise or shape to particular school.

bigchiefhoho

New

Post by bigchiefhoho » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:25 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:Definitely not a bad idea to start on your PS. I started mine late, thinking it would be a quick turn around but I ended up writing a ton of different drafts before I liked it
Seconded. I did probably half a dozen outlines and first drafts before I actually settled on a topic and approach that I really liked, and then it took me another six drafts of that before I was satisfied with it. You can also spend your time researching which schools you're applying to and really killing the optional essays (diversity essays, "Why X," etc).

Once you've got all that done (and your transcripts, LSATs, LORs of course, but it sounds like you're on top of that), the actual applications take no time at all. I did all of mine in an afternoon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Research and apply to schools offering generous scholarships for your stats for negotiation purposes.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:32 am

I second starting personal statement stuff if you can (and any other statements you might need), as well as Why X essays... which ties into what I would suggest to do also: research schools! Find out what kind of things are generally considered important to think about, as well as things that you consider important to think about. I'd recommend considering things that have a general consensus of being important because there are some things that I definitely wasn't even considering when I first started applying that actually have some importance to me now; TLS is a great place to get an idea of what kind of things you should be looking into at schools. But also consider what kind of things you feel like you need to be able to gain from your experience at LS (How important is location to you? What kind of community are you looking for? If you're a URM, how important is it to have a tight-knit community of your minority group? etc etc). Basically, think about what kind of things you think you need to have around you to help contribute to your success during law school and what kind of opportunities you want throughout your experience to help you achieve whatever career path and see where schools you're considering line up on those things.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”