ITT: Get help making irresponsible financial decisions on planners and bags Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
tinyvessels

Bronze

Re: Good TOTE for LS?

Post by tinyvessels » Wed May 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
texcellence wrote:wow i am shocked at the sheer number of planner "reviews" on youtube. i had no idea this was a Thing.
RT did not know people were this hardcore about planners.
And the majority of them are a good half hour to an hour long. I guess I found what I'm going to do while procrastinating on getting prep book reading done.

Also, debating taking a shot every time one of the reviewers says 'super cute' in her vids.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed May 03, 2017 5:30 pm

texcellence wrote:that said, i am not about that sorority inspirational quote life but still want something cute-ish to keep me organized. youtube told me Day Designer is a Thing and they seem nice? https://daydesigner.com/collections/mid ... -out-there
ahhhh I debated getting one of their leather planners for a long time: https://daydesigner.com/collections/a5-luxe-collection

couldn't bring myself to spend the money, and you only get inserts in 3-month sections (and have to replace them constantly) but they're beautiful...

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:42 pm

tinyvessels wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
texcellence wrote:wow i am shocked at the sheer number of planner "reviews" on youtube. i had no idea this was a Thing.
RT did not know people were this hardcore about planners.
And the majority of them are a good half hour to an hour long. I guess I found what I'm going to do while procrastinating on getting prep book reading done.

Also, debating taking a shot every time one of the reviewers says 'super cute' in her vids.
that is literally how you get alcohol poisoning

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
eck456 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Thanks for the comments! I ended up getting the Lo & Sons OG bag - before seeing these comments lol - (still waiting for it to be delivered, should be here in a day or two) because my birthday's coming up anyway/I'm the first (and only) person in the family heading to LS so my mom offered to pay for it.
What color did you get?? I really want the black one but there's a waitlist for it :roll:
Yeah, all the black ones have a WL. I got the heather gray one because I liked that it was light blue (my fav. color) inside.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Oh damn that's adorable...now you've got me like, "don't I deserve a new bag for law school?!?" And then I look in my wallet and cry
It's a REALLY big bag too with tons of compartments. But I feel you. Shit is NOT cheap
Oh this looks lit. Hopefully my bank account wont be in shambles when the black ones become available again.
guys not that anyone cares, but in honor of my depositing for ls I bought one - black/ gold/ lavender. why not throw money after other money? but pretty psyched about it

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed May 03, 2017 8:19 pm

eck456 wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
eck456 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Thanks for the comments! I ended up getting the Lo & Sons OG bag - before seeing these comments lol - (still waiting for it to be delivered, should be here in a day or two) because my birthday's coming up anyway/I'm the first (and only) person in the family heading to LS so my mom offered to pay for it.
What color did you get?? I really want the black one but there's a waitlist for it :roll:
Yeah, all the black ones have a WL. I got the heather gray one because I liked that it was light blue (my fav. color) inside.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Oh damn that's adorable...now you've got me like, "don't I deserve a new bag for law school?!?" And then I look in my wallet and cry
It's a REALLY big bag too with tons of compartments. But I feel you. Shit is NOT cheap
Oh this looks lit. Hopefully my bank account wont be in shambles when the black ones become available again.
guys not that anyone cares, but in honor of my depositing for ls I bought one - black/ gold/ lavender. why not throw money after other money? but pretty psyched about it
Lol. This thread has turned into a massive "Spending money while spending money" thread, don't worry. You're in good company!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed May 03, 2017 9:23 pm

eck456 wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
eck456 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Yasss join us in our collective financial irresponsibility

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 am

Anybody have suggestions for a structured, professional large bag/backpack for women that's under $200 (or I can find on sale for under $200)?

I prefer to study in the library, so I don't anticipate bringing books home except maybe on the weekends. I'm planning on taking yoga classes and swimming a few times a week on campus, so I need something that can house a laptop, workout clothes, and shower stuff/quick dry towel that isn't going to kill my shoulder by the end of the day if it's a shoulder bag instead of a backpack. I'll have a good 20 minute walk both ways each day.

Thanks. Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Thu May 04, 2017 5:25 pm

KME89 wrote:Anybody have suggestions for a structured, professional large bag/backpack for women that's under $200 (or I can find on sale for under $200)?

I prefer to study in the library, so I don't anticipate bringing books home except maybe on the weekends. I'm planning on taking yoga classes and swimming a few times a week on campus, so I need something that can house a laptop, workout clothes, and shower stuff/quick dry towel that isn't going to kill my shoulder by the end of the day if it's a shoulder bag instead of a backpack. I'll have a good 20 minute walk both ways each day.

Try searching on Amazon for computer backpacks. They have a pretty nice selection of structured and more 'professional' looking backpacks than you see typically in stores. I would suggest sticking to a backpack versus a tote for you, since you seem to be planning on having a lot of stuff to carry. I wanted a tote originally, because I haven't used a backpack since middle school, but just didn't find any to be as useful or easy to carry as the backpacks I saw.

The only tote that came close was perhaps the Lo and Sons OMG, but that's too pricey even for me haha.

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 pm

tinyvessels wrote:
KME89 wrote:Anybody have suggestions for a structured, professional large bag/backpack for women that's under $200 (or I can find on sale for under $200)?

Try searching on Amazon for computer backpacks. They have a pretty nice selection of structured and more 'professional' looking backpacks than you see typically in stores. I would suggest sticking to a backpack versus a tote for you, since you seem to be planning on having a lot of stuff to carry. I wanted a tote originally, because I haven't used a backpack since middle school, but just didn't find any to be as useful or easy to carry as the backpacks I saw.

The only tote that came close was perhaps the Lo and Sons OMG, but that's too pricey even for me haha.
I should get a job for how much marketing I'm doing for this company-- look at dagnedover.com, it has some options for things you might like.

For a nicer backpack, I'd go with Jon Hart probably: https://www.jonhartdesign.com/products/back-pack-907

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Thu May 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Should I really be spending money on these things? No. Will I anyway? The tote has a cup holder is this really a question of course I'm going to buy one.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu May 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Watababe wrote:Should I really be spending money on these things? No. Will I anyway? The tote has a cup holder is this really a question of course I'm going to buy one.
I mean, I just think of it as an investment. The more expensive totes are probably more sturdy/will last longer so maybe I'll only have to buy one as compared to buying a new one every year when it starts to get ratty-looking, the straps seem questionable, and the inside has holes in it :lol: :lol: :lol:

brinicolec

Gold

Re: ITT: Get help making irresponsible financial decisions on planners and bags

Post by brinicolec » Thu May 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Btw I changed the title of this thread because we've clearly moved beyond my tote-seeking needs into a slightly broader reckless spending :lol:

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu May 04, 2017 9:57 pm

tinyvessels wrote:

I will note that the Lo & Sons OMG and OG, which is the one I got/is pictured earlier ITT, bags are technically carry-ons, so they should be able to house all the things you're things of carrying with you, but yes.. They are a bit pricier. I believe that you can sign up for their emails and get a discount (20% off, I think... but don't quote me on that lol) which helps a little.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alpal29

New

Post by Alpal29 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:23 pm

I saw the word "planner" and got sucked in. Count me in for an Erin Condren recommendation. I've beat two to hell living in my bag and purses, and I've only had to replace the cover once. I know they're pricy, but soooooo worth it. Also, if you wait until June when they release the new planners you can get an 18 month planner for an extra five dollars and it's so worth it. I hesitated on the price but I live and die by my planner and it's been super worth it.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Fri May 05, 2017 2:18 am

CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:

I should get a job for how much marketing I'm doing for this company-- look at dagnedover.com, it has some options for things you might like.

For a nicer backpack, I'd go with Jon Hart probably: https://www.jonhartdesign.com/products/back-pack-907
I really wanted the Dagne Dover in Bleecker Blush, but I can't justify the price haha. But they're very pretty and seem sturdier than the Longchamps.

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:18 am

Alpal29 wrote:I saw the word "planner" and got sucked in. Count me in for an Erin Condren recommendation. I've beat two to hell living in my bag and purses, and I've only had to replace the cover once. I know they're pricy, but soooooo worth it. Also, if you wait until June when they release the new planners you can get an 18 month planner for an extra five dollars and it's so worth it. I hesitated on the price but I live and die by my planner and it's been super worth it.
They came out last week! Ordered mine the same day so I could get all the free stuff with it! I only did Jan-Dec so it was six months early but I have no regrets.
tinyvessels wrote:
CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:

I really wanted the Dagne Dover in Bleecker Blush, but I can't justify the price haha. But they're very pretty and seem sturdier than the Longchamps.
Wait until the end of the season when they're about to release fall lines and the previous season's totes go on sale for $150, the main colors (black, blue, blush) don't ever go on sale but you can find another one that is still cute for cheap! :D

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Mon May 08, 2017 11:20 am

Those of you in the backpack market, I highly recommend getting pretty much anything sold by Osprey.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:39 pm

I think my goal this summer is to find a Tumi in good condition in ebay or at a consignment shop. Thanks all for the suggestions! If i strike out, I'll definitely be revisiting this thread come August to see what other companies were suggested.

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Got a tumi at an outlet store for 50% off! :lol:

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Wed May 10, 2017 10:00 pm

someone plz help me find a planner with a large calendar and a day to day part plz plz

I've checked the usual basic white girl places - Kate Spade, Lilly, Erin Condren (spelling?), and I can't find anything.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Wed May 10, 2017 10:14 pm

KME89 wrote:I think my goal this summer is to find a Tumi in good condition in ebay or at a consignment shop. Thanks all for the suggestions! If i strike out, I'll definitely be revisiting this thread come August to see what other companies were suggested.
They show up at TJ Maxx/Marshalls sometimes. I snagged one there. Also The Rack.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:32 pm

bwaldorf wrote:someone plz help me find a planner with a large calendar and a day to day part plz plz

I've checked the usual basic white girl places - Kate Spade, Lilly, Erin Condren (spelling?), and I can't find anything.
Lilly Pulitzer has a jumbo one that has day spread and month spread. They're not out yet though I don't think. I would try Target--Sugar Paper has a big one that might fit your needs.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 am

Last edited by texcellence on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Thu May 25, 2017 11:07 am

Dagne Dover is doing their sale and have the 15 inch Legend totes for $130-$150 FYI

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 25, 2017 11:08 am

Watababe wrote:Dagne Dover is doing their sale and have the 15 inch Legend totes for $130-$150 FYI
OOOOH.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”