ITT: Get help making irresponsible financial decisions on planners and bags Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Stephylynette

Bronze

Re: Good TOTE for LS?

Post by Stephylynette » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:45 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Thanks for the comments! I ended up getting the Lo & Sons OG bag - before seeing these comments lol - (still waiting for it to be delivered, should be here in a day or two) because my birthday's coming up anyway/I'm the first (and only) person in the family heading to LS so my mom offered to pay for it.
What color did you get?? I really want the black one but there's a waitlist for it :roll:
I wanted to get this, and then I realized that there is waitlist for this. I am already on ten others, so I closed the webpage with a passionate click.
They came back in stock this week!!! Go get one girl!!
Which color did you end up getting for the interior!?
I got black with Gold interior. Made me feel rich and classy af :lol:

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Thanks for the comments! I ended up getting the Lo & Sons OG bag - before seeing these comments lol - (still waiting for it to be delivered, should be here in a day or two) because my birthday's coming up anyway/I'm the first (and only) person in the family heading to LS so my mom offered to pay for it.
What color did you get?? I really want the black one but there's a waitlist for it :roll:
I wanted to get this, and then I realized that there is waitlist for this. I am already on ten others, so I closed the webpage with a passionate click.
:lol: nice. I'm excited to get a bunch of books and stuff to shove in the bag and see just how much that baby can handle!

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:20 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:Has anyone used the LV GM Neverfull? It seems to last quite a bit, or, at least, LV claims so.

If you want to get the Longchamp bag, which I have used for the last two years of undergrad, you will most definitely wear out the handles with your binders & LS books. You will end up ruining the bag within 2-3 years, and the thin straps really dig into your shoulders. But they are cute, and I don't regret getting them in general.

But, first, I need to get off one of that 10 waitlists in the T13.
I have two neverfulls. I love them but my two complaints: 1. things tend to get lost in there. They are designed to be soo roomy, but I used mine during my M.A. and literally pens, chapstick, etc. all fall to the bottom of my bag. and 2. depends on your personal taste, but I feel like the LV logo can be a little much vs. the checkered (smaller LV) design. I stopped using mine at school and only use it to go out with or travel, because I do feel like it can be a little extra.

For that price point I'd look at a celine too. I have one that's huge, same price range, more structured, and understated!

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Leliana wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:Has anyone used the LV GM Neverfull? It seems to last quite a bit, or, at least, LV claims so.

If you want to get the Longchamp bag, which I have used for the last two years of undergrad, you will most definitely wear out the handles with your binders & LS books. You will end up ruining the bag within 2-3 years, and the thin straps really dig into your shoulders. But they are cute, and I don't regret getting them in general.

I have a Neverfull. I don't doubt its durability, and it has a TON of room, but I don't like putting a lot of heavy stuff in it because the straps are thin and dig into my shoulder really badly when the bag is heavy. Would not recommend for carrying a load of books. I mostly use it as a large handbag or for clothes on overnight trips.
second this, didn't see this before I posted mine! they really do tend to dig in my shoulder, even with just a laptop

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:38 am

lilitiger99 wrote:

I have two neverfulls. I love them but my two complaints: 1. things tend to get lost in there. They are designed to be soo roomy, but I used mine during my M.A. and literally pens, chapstick, etc. all fall to the bottom of my bag. and 2. depends on your personal taste, but I feel like the LV logo can be a little much vs. the checkered (smaller LV) design. I stopped using mine at school and only use it to go out with or travel, because I do feel like it can be a little extra.

For that price point I'd look at a celine too. I have one that's huge, same price range, more structured, and understated!
Thanks for the advice! Do you have a recommendation for Celine? I don't really know the brand very well other than seeing people carrying it from time to time. I entirely agree that the LV logo is a little overstated, and not very suitable for a law school setting. And I heard the bag is heavier than a nylon bag, which will ultimately hurt my shoulders.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Mon May 01, 2017 9:27 am

Last edited by texcellence on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:01 pm

texcellence wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:

Thanks for the advice! Do you have a recommendation for Celine? I don't really know the brand very well other than seeing people carrying it from time to time. I entirely agree that the LV logo is a little overstated, and not very suitable for a law school setting. And I heard the bag is heavier than a nylon bag, which will ultimately hurt my shoulders.
probably the Cabas Phantom, maaaybe the Luggage if you're fancy af. I personally would never use a Celine bag for school but that's just me
I have the luggage phantom & nano - which I got from a vintage shop for <800 dollars - but the luggage is huge, amazing, and looks classic and better than the never full I feel like - a lot more subtle & less obvious. It's roomy, structured, and I feel like looks super professional. I've had my phantom for 3 years, brought it to south America, used it during school, etc. and it still looks nice/clean/isn't falling apart. PM if you want!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon May 01, 2017 9:15 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:

probably the Cabas Phantom, maaaybe the Luggage if you're fancy af. I personally would never use a Celine bag for school but that's just me
I have the luggage phantom & nano - which I got from a vintage shop for <800 dollars - but the luggage is huge, amazing, and looks classic and better than the never full I feel like - a lot more subtle & less obvious. It's roomy, structured, and I feel like looks super professional. I've had my phantom for 3 years, brought it to south America, used it during school, etc. and it still looks nice/clean/isn't falling apart. PM if you want!
Thanks for the response! 800 dollars seem to be a great deal for such a great bag~ I searched its pictures online, and I do think it looks better than neverfull. Never quite a fan of the loud logos on LV products to begin with. Do you think it is light? While it might not be important right now, it would probably be important when I feel it with books.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:29 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:

Thanks for the response! 800 dollars seem to be a great deal for such a great bag~ I searched its pictures online, and I do think it looks better than neverfull. Never quite a fan of the loud logos on LV products to begin with. Do you think it is light? While it might not be important right now, it would probably be important when I feel it with books.
Yeah I was thrilled haha - though the 800 Is for the nano couldn't find a phantom <1200 or so.

And I think that it's decent. personally I used to carry my LSAT bag and laptop in there, and it was comfortable enough. It is a LARGE bag though. Can't overstate that enough haha. I guess it depends how much you stuff in there, but I definitely used to fit a lot in it - like think 1-2 Kaplan books plus my 15 inch laptop... plus water bottles, snacks etc.

Keep in mind that some don't have zippers, though.

Honestly though I love love love my phantom. I use my celine bags way more than my LV stuff, and I always get compliments because they're so unique and pretty, and pretty rare.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ooglygoogly

New

Post by ooglygoogly » Tue May 02, 2017 12:44 am

Going down the planner tangent, I've totally been researching planners too. Scoured through TLS forums and blogs of law students to see what I like.
Came down to three options: Erin Condren, Plum Planner, and the Emily Ley.

I really wanted the Erin Condren one initially because it's so nice. Amazing coil, thick paper, and cute petals. However, I've been debating whether or not to get it because it's pretty pricey. Saw the previews of the 2017-2018 on Youtube (people posted like 50 minute "previews"...) and I'm glad they did because it made me realize it seems like a little too much like something I would have liked in my sorority days with the super motivational quotes and bold colors.

Plum Planner. I like this because of how much you can customize it. You can customize what month it starts on, how many extra pages you want. The cover designs are a little Plain Jane, but it's a budget EC. Sounds dumb, but there's too much white space for me on the cover design options.

Emily Ley. I'm waiting for the previews for the 2017-2018 planners to come out for this to make my final decision, but I really like how it's a daily planner. Each day get its own page. It has the option to put the daily times in it like the Plum and EC, but also has a daily to do list which I think will be super helpful in law school. Only thing is looking at the past years, covers are just kind of underwhelming. Also a con is that it is the same price point at EC.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Tue May 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Okay, so I'm stuck between a Plum Planner or Erin Condren. I kind of am not digging the Plum Planner aesthetic, but I think it's more detailed and more easily customizable. Does anyone use an Erin Condren planner right now? How is it?

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Tue May 02, 2017 4:48 pm

ooglygoogly wrote:Going down the planner tangent, I've totally been researching planners too. Scoured through TLS forums and blogs of law students to see what I like.

I really wanted the Erin Condren one initially because it's so nice. Amazing coil, thick paper, and cute petals. However, I've been debating whether or not to get it because it's pretty pricey. Saw the previews of the 2017-2018 on Youtube (people posted like 50 minute "previews"...) and I'm glad they did because it made me realize it seems like a little too much like something I would have liked in my sorority days with the super motivational quotes and bold colors.

Plum Planner. I like this because of how much you can customize it. You can customize what month it starts on, how many extra pages you want. The cover designs are a little Plain Jane, but it's a budget EC. Sounds dumb, but there's too much white space for me on the cover design options.

Emily Ley. I'm waiting for the previews for the 2017-2018 planners to come out for this to make my final decision, but I really like how it's a daily planner. Each day get its own page. It has the option to put the daily times in it like the Plum and EC, but also has a daily to do list which I think will be super helpful in law school. Only thing is looking at the past years, covers are just kind of underwhelming. Also a con is that it is the same price point at EC.
Yeah, the Condren monthly life planners seem waaaaay too much for me in terms of length and those god awful sorority-esque motivational quotes and stuff (no offense lol). Which is why I was looking into the EC academic planners instead. They seem more low key in a sense and easier to use.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue May 02, 2017 5:01 pm

I always recommend the Kate Spade Outlet. If you can go during their 60% + 20% sales, you can get amazing deals. I have two and they have lasted forever as the leather is very durable.

Also, if there isn't one near you, you can call them and they'll ship to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue May 02, 2017 5:07 pm

ooglygoogly wrote:Going down the planner tangent, I've totally been researching planners too. Scoured through TLS forums and blogs of law students to see what I like.

Fwiw I've heard that the Erin Condren covers (and also the coil snap-in accessories) fit on the Plum Planner, so maybe look into that if you don't like the PP cover.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Tue May 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Got my bag today and I love it. Thanks Bri for introducing me to it!!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue May 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Got my bag today and I love it. Thanks Bri for introducing me to it!!
I'm glad you love it!!!!

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:25 pm

tinyvessels wrote:Okay, so I'm stuck between a Plum Planner or Erin Condren. I kind of am not digging the Plum Planner aesthetic, but I think it's more detailed and more easily customizable. Does anyone use an Erin Condren planner right now? How is it?
I've never had a PP but I had EC for three years! I liked the freedom although I'm upset they moved away from labeling the boxes on the vertical. I loved, loved my EC. I made it my own which was perfect for me. I just liked the blank slate I think.

tinyvessels wrote:

Yeah, the Condren monthly life planners seem waaaaay too much for me in terms of length and those god awful sorority-esque motivational quotes and stuff (no offense lol). Which is why I was looking into the EC academic planners instead. They seem more low key in a sense and easier to use.
I gave up my EC for an EL this year and I regret everything. I love organization so I thought hour by hour would be good for me but I don't like it at all. I feel like it restricts me if I'm doing two things at once which I always am. It also doesn't have notes or anywhere else for me to put assignments or due dates which is a bummer. Also it is huge and heavy and I hate putting it in my purse. I love having my week laid out in front of me so I can see everything that's going on. I will definitely get an EC academic planner for ls because the EL just doesn't have the room. I will probably switch back. I need places to jot down birthdays and reminders.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Tue May 02, 2017 8:48 pm

CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:Okay, so I'm stuck between a Plum Planner or Erin Condren. I kind of am not digging the Plum Planner aesthetic, but I think it's more detailed and more easily customizable. Does anyone use an Erin Condren planner right now? How is it?
I've never had a PP but I had EC for three years! I liked the freedom although I'm upset they moved away from labeling the boxes on the vertical. I loved, loved my EC. I made it my own which was perfect for me. I just liked the blank slate I think.

tinyvessels wrote:

I gave up my EC for an EL this year and I regret everything. I love organization so I thought hour by hour would be good for me but I don't like it at all. I feel like it restricts me if I'm doing two things at once which I always am. It also doesn't have notes or anywhere else for me to put assignments or due dates which is a bummer. Also it is huge and heavy and I hate putting it in my purse. I love having my week laid out in front of me so I can see everything that's going on. I will definitely get an EC academic planner for ls because the EL just doesn't have the room. I will probably switch back. I need places to jot down birthdays and reminders.
Oh, awesome. I think I'm going to invest in a EC Academic planner and see how it goes the first few months (the life one is just unnecessary for something I'm mainly going to use for school). It's pretty inexpensive, so even if I don't like it, it's not like it cost an arm and a leg. I actually checked out the EL planners, and didn't like them at all, so I just decided between the EC and PP. You should def. look into the new EC academic planners, I think it will fit a lot of your needs in terms of having extra space to write down assignments and seems very build-able from what I've seen.

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Just ordered a Plum Planner! Thanks for the tips, ladies!

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed May 03, 2017 12:48 pm

tinyvessels wrote:
CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:

tinyvessels wrote:

Oh, awesome. I think I'm going to invest in a EC Academic planner and see how it goes the first few months (the life one is just unnecessary for something I'm mainly going to use for school). It's pretty inexpensive, so even if I don't like it, it's not like it cost an arm and a leg. I actually checked out the EL planners, and didn't like them at all, so I just decided between the EC and PP. You should def. look into the new EC academic planners, I think it will fit a lot of your needs in terms of having extra space to write down assignments and seems very build-able from what I've seen.
I think I'm gonna go with an EC academic planner. Does anyone have any opinion on which sticker packets are necessary/useful?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed May 03, 2017 3:25 pm

KME89 wrote:Just ordered a Plum Planner! Thanks for the tips, ladies!
I got mine in the mail last week (I think) and I really like it. I also don't need a bunch of extra stuff in my planner though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Wed May 03, 2017 3:34 pm

[quote="Stephylynette"][/quote]

Cool! I bought a EC academic planner recently and am waiting on it to arrive. I decided to forgo adding any other sticker packets to my order because 1) LOL at that price for sticker packets 2) I want to get the planner first and start using it before deciding to see if I need add ons. You could always go back and order packets and such for your planner. IIRC, the academic planners come with numbered dot stickers to place within your monthly calendar section.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Wed May 03, 2017 4:27 pm

wow i am shocked at the sheer number of planner "reviews" on youtube. i had no idea this was a Thing.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed May 03, 2017 4:30 pm

texcellence wrote:wow i am shocked at the sheer number of planner "reviews" on youtube. i had no idea this was a Thing.
RT did not know people were this hardcore about planners.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Wed May 03, 2017 4:38 pm

that said, i am not about that sorority inspirational quote life but still want something cute-ish to keep me organized. youtube told me Day Designer is a Thing and they seem nice? https://daydesigner.com/collections/mid ... -out-there

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”