ITT: Get help making irresponsible financial decisions on planners and bags Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Watababe

Bronze

Re: ITT: Get help making irresponsible financial decisions on planners and bags

Post by Watababe » Thu May 25, 2017 11:16 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Watababe wrote:Dagne Dover is doing their sale and have the 15 inch Legend totes for $130-$150 FYI
OOOOH.
I have already purchased my Bleecker Blush tote. Best $130 I've spent in recent history.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Thu May 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Watababe wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Watababe wrote:Dagne Dover is doing their sale and have the 15 inch Legend totes for $130-$150 FYI
OOOOH.
I have already purchased my Bleecker Blush tote. Best $130 I've spent in recent history.
I wanted Bleecker Blush but was paranoid that the photo was pinker than I wanted the bag to be, even though images everywhere else showed more of a gray pink...

I went with the 15" onyx tote. Can't believe how cheap I got it!! I'm so excited - hope it was the right choice because it's nonrefundable

I really debated between 13" and 15", since i'm only 5'1" and big bags tend to make me look diminutive, but I figured bigger is better for law school books/extra pair of shoes/etc.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Thu May 25, 2017 12:31 pm

have y'all bought suits yet? i work in a business casual atmosphere so i've never needed to have one.

any advice on where to buy affordable/stylish suits? preferably with a petite section?

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Thu May 25, 2017 12:46 pm

carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
OOOOH.
I wanted Bleecker Blush but was paranoid that the photo was pinker than I wanted the bag to be, even though images everywhere else showed more of a gray pink...

I went with the 15" onyx tote. Can't believe how cheap I got it!! I'm so excited - hope it was the right choice because it's nonrefundable

I really debated between 13" and 15", since i'm only 5'1" and big bags tend to make me look diminutive, but I figured bigger is better for law school books/extra pair of shoes/etc.
I literally can't get over the price. I was blatantly talking to my boss about it while buying it instead of working. I'm a little worried about the size cause I'm also short/bags make me look tiny but I want plenty of room.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu May 25, 2017 2:36 pm

I was not planning on spending $130 today on a tote but I want it so bad :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Thu May 25, 2017 2:41 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:I was not planning on spending $130 today on a tote but I want it so bad :shock:
I just decided it was totally worth it since it'll probably last me through school and beyond and I'm not going to find it for a better deal than half off and free shipping and if I went with a cheaper tote I'd have to replace it probably each year and that would end up costing me just as much if not more

Also it has a cup holder. You can't beat that.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu May 25, 2017 2:42 pm

carasrook wrote:have y'all bought suits yet? i work in a business casual atmosphere so i've never needed to have one.

any advice on where to buy affordable/stylish suits? preferably with a petite section?
I like my Banana Republic suits, especially since they are almost always running sales. Not petite though so I can't review their petite selection, although I do know they have a petite section

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu May 25, 2017 2:44 pm

Watababe wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:I was not planning on spending $130 today on a tote but I want it so bad :shock:
I just decided it was totally worth it since it'll probably last me through school and beyond and I'm not going to find it for a better deal than half off and free shipping and if I went with a cheaper tote I'd have to replace it probably each year and that would end up costing me just as much if not more

Also it has a cup holder. You can't beat that.
I know, as soon as I saw the cup holder I was hooked

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu May 25, 2017 3:44 pm

carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
OOOOH.

Just ordered the 15" in Onyx. Was super torn between that and the Bleecker Blush but it sold out while I was debating - I considered it a sign :D

I also have a backpack for when I'm really hauling a lot of stuff, but will probably use this the majority of the time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Thu May 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Just bought the Lo & Sons OMG in black with gold hardware and camel interior.

My bank account hurts, but I'm excited.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Thu May 25, 2017 4:45 pm

bwaldorf wrote:Just bought the Lo & Sons OMG in black with gold hardware and camel interior.

My bank account hurts, but I'm excited.
Got the same exact color combo! Bag twinsies :D

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu May 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Since there was so much planner talk ITT...can the planner enthusiasts sell me on a paper planner (vs. digital)? I've been 100% Google calendar for awhile now (I've been out of undergrad for 5 years) and was planning on continuing that in law school until I saw all this planner talk. Why did you all decide to go paper? What are the benefits?

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Thu May 25, 2017 5:15 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:Since there was so much planner talk ITT...can the planner enthusiasts sell me on a paper planner (vs. digital)? I've been 100% Google calendar for awhile now (I've been out of undergrad for 5 years) and was planning on continuing that in law school until I saw all this planner talk. Why did you all decide to go paper? What are the benefits?
I primarily use a digital calendar (Outlook right now, but I'll switch to Google once I'm no longer @ my job) for reminders & appointments because digital notifications are really helpful.... and use a paper planner as more of a daily and long term to-do list organizer. For me, the process of writing out a to-do list and physically crossing out items is really cathartic, and it's a lot easier to organize in a big paper planner than it is in a digital calendar. It's just a preference, honestly, and it's one more thing to carry around, but for me it's worth it. Also, planners are cute, colorful markers are cute, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hawkeyelaw

New

Post by hawkeyelaw » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:39 pm

So I have been lurking in this thread as I try to find a suitable tote to surprise my wife with. She is a PA and will be working at several clinics spread across our future college town, so she will be lugging her daily books and supplies with her. Her current bag/briefcase dates from her schooling and is looking a little ratchet. I am intrigued by the Dagne Dover sales (130 seems a great price for the 15") but I am concerned about the disclaimer that they might have some "issues". Has anyone gotten their bag and are the defects noticeable, or is it a total roll of the dice?

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:43 pm

hawkeyelaw wrote:So I have been lurking in this thread as I try to find a suitable tote to surprise my wife with. She is a PA and will be working at several clinics spread across our future college town, so she will be lugging her daily books and supplies with her. Her current bag/briefcase dates from her schooling and is looking a little ratchet. I am intrigued by the Dagne Dover sales (130 seems a great price for the 15") but I am concerned about the disclaimer that they might have some "issues". Has anyone gotten their bag and are the defects noticeable, or is it a total roll of the dice?
I got mine a week and a half ago and found no noticeable defects. Btw I love it and use it everyday

LSRAT

Bronze

Post by LSRAT » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:33 pm

carasrook wrote:have y'all bought suits yet? i work in a business casual atmosphere so i've never needed to have one.

Ann Taylor usually has some great sales and they have a wonderful petite section. Also check out JCrew Factory Clearance, though it may be more difficult to find petite, but certainly not impossible! I suggest starting with a basic black suit (and then spice it up with some of their cute shirts) because they're usually cheaper and then moving towards adding more colors (navy/gray) to your arsenal after that!

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Petite here. Seconding Banana Republic and Ann Taylor (though I find AT petite dresses/jackets to be cut very high-waisted, which is annoying as a short woman with a long torso - may not be an issue for you). My favorite suit though is from J. Crew. It's pricier than BR/AT but better quality IMO - if you can snag stuff when they have a promo going on, go for it.
hawkeyelaw wrote:I am intrigued by the Dagne Dover sales (130 seems a great price for the 15") but I am concerned about the disclaimer that they might have some "issues". Has anyone gotten their bag and are the defects noticeable, or is it a total roll of the dice?
I've had my DD tote since fall 2014. No issues whatsoever!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:17 am

Leliana wrote:

Petite here. Seconding Banana Republic and Ann Taylor (though I find AT petite dresses/jackets to be cut very high-waisted, which is annoying as a short woman with a long torso - may not be an issue for you). My favorite suit though is from J. Crew. It's pricier than BR/AT but better quality IMO - if you can snag stuff when they have a promo going on, go for it.
hawkeyelaw wrote:I am intrigued by the Dagne Dover sales (130 seems a great price for the 15") but I am concerned about the disclaimer that they might have some "issues". Has anyone gotten their bag and are the defects noticeable, or is it a total roll of the dice?
I've had my DD tote since fall 2014. No issues whatsoever!
When is the next Dagne Dover discount? Do I have to wait another year? If so, I will just go with the Lo & Sons O.G.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 am

Lo & Sons has 30% off on select OG/OMG colors today! No black though.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:38 am

Leliana wrote:Lo & Sons has 30% off on select OG/OMG colors today! No black though.
Thank you for the heads up!!

But now I've found the Dagne Dover bags and I can't decide! I also want to know if/when there will be another sale on those...

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Would this bag be appropriate? It says it can fit a 15" laptop, but I don't know if it is substantial enough.
https://www.amazon.com/Coop-Star-Trek-K ... atleth+bag

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:47 am

airwrecka wrote:
Leliana wrote:Lo & Sons has 30% off on select OG/OMG colors today! No black though.

But now I've found the Dagne Dover bags and I can't decide! I also want to know if/when there will be another sale on those...
It feels like Lo & Sons is lighter? Dagne Dover is heavier? Ugh, too bad I cannot purchase them, since they can only ship to the US.

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:08 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

It feels like Lo & Sons is lighter? Dagne Dover is heavier? Ugh, too bad I cannot purchase them, since they can only ship to the US.
I bought the black lo and sons og during the first iteration of this thread and it's basically my favorite bag now I love it so much and hauling it w me on my overseas internship was an excellent call. Now my favorite travel bag, bar none.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:40 am

eck456 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

I bought the black lo and sons og during the first iteration of this thread and it's basically my favorite bag now I love it so much and hauling it w me on my overseas internship was an excellent call. Now my favorite travel bag, bar none.
That sounds great! I'm also thinking about getting it for law school. But I probably will be commuting for 20 min for law school, and I'm a little unsure if it would be a good choice holding law school hornbooks.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:20 am

reallyyyy strongly considering getting the L&S Seville tote while it's on sale. I already have a nylon longchamps so I like the saffiano leather but ughh that pricetag. at least I get three paychecks in july?

edit: bought it. hopefully it lasts me all three years +, I think it's a good investment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”