ITT: Get help making irresponsible financial decisions on planners and bags Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
brinicolec

Gold

ITT: Get help making irresponsible financial decisions on planners and bags

Post by brinicolec » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm not crazy about backpacks and have been looking into totes. The Lo & Sons OMG bag seems like a popular option but it's also like $300 and I don't have that kinda money to be spending on a tote lol. Also looking at Longchamp (I think that's the name) which is like $150 which isn't bad or great price-wise. Basically, wondering if there are some cheaper tote options that anyone recommends?

Also: I know 1L books are heavy and big and whatever, but I still prefer a tote.
Last edited by brinicolec on Thu May 04, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Re: Good TOTE for LS?

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Get a longchamp, they can carry a ton of stuff, they're really durable, and you can wash them with just soap and water. I think it's worth it (or if you know anyone going to Europe soon, they're like 80 bucks there).

If not that, I would recommend a LL Bean canvas tote. They're not cute but they're cheap and amazing for carrying day to day stuff around.

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 pm

CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:Get a longchamp, they can carry a ton of stuff, they're really durable, and you can wash them with just soap and water. I think it's worth it (or if you know anyone going to Europe soon, they're like 80 bucks there).

If not that, I would recommend a LL Bean canvas tote. They're not cute but they're cheap and amazing for carrying day to day stuff around.
I also second the longchamp thing (though they're a bitch to bike with) but would add that I've found good prices at duty-free when flying internationally, fwiw. so if you're planning on any international travel this summer pre-1L you should be able to find a good deal at the airport, esp if you're flying thru any shopping hubs like seoul or dubai

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:17 am

Thanks for the comments! I ended up getting the Lo & Sons OG bag - before seeing these comments lol - (still waiting for it to be delivered, should be here in a day or two) because my birthday's coming up anyway/I'm the first (and only) person in the family heading to LS so my mom offered to pay for it.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:17 am

brinicolec wrote:Thanks for the comments! I ended up getting the Lo & Sons OG bag - before seeing these comments lol - (still waiting for it to be delivered, should be here in a day or two) because my birthday's coming up anyway/I'm the first (and only) person in the family heading to LS so my mom offered to pay for it.
What color did you get?? I really want the black one but there's a waitlist for it :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:08 am

Last edited by guynourmin on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:52 pm

CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:Get a longchamp, they can carry a ton of stuff, they're really durable, and you can wash them with just soap and water. I think it's worth it (or if you know anyone going to Europe soon, they're like 80 bucks there).
I'm going to Paris in a couple weeks and might have to snag one of these.

Blue664

New

Post by Blue664 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Just wanted to add a different opinion about longchamp bags to show YMMV. I used these all through college, and found that they were super cute and easy to take care of, but not ideal for my academic purposes. Because they are so big, I would load tons of books and binders in them, and it wasn't long before carrying around all my stuff in them wore on the handles - basically the stitching couldn't stand the weight and the handles started separating from the nylon. Additionally, because they are so roomy yet have basically no sub compartments, loose stuff (eg, keys, phone, chapstick, snack bars, makeup, etc) would constantly fall to the bottom and be really hard to find and/or get crushed. Also, the pens/pencils in particular would find their way to the corners and basically puncture holes at the part where all the seams meet. This could maybe be remedied with a purse organizer, which I didn't know existed when I was in school - so I definitely recommend one of those if you go the giant tote route.

Another idea - messenger bags or nice laptop bags have more compartments and are easier to lug around (wiper straps), although obviously more functional than cute.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Thanks for the comments! I ended up getting the Lo & Sons OG bag - before seeing these comments lol - (still waiting for it to be delivered, should be here in a day or two) because my birthday's coming up anyway/I'm the first (and only) person in the family heading to LS so my mom offered to pay for it.
What color did you get?? I really want the black one but there's a waitlist for it :roll:
Yeah, all the black ones have a WL. I got the heather gray one because I liked that it was light blue (my fav. color) inside.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:37 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Yeah, all the black ones have a WL. I got the heather gray one because I liked that it was light blue (my fav. color) inside.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Oh damn that's adorable...now you've got me like, "don't I deserve a new bag for law school?!?" And then I look in my wallet and cry

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm

eck456 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Oh damn that's adorable...now you've got me like, "don't I deserve a new bag for law school?!?" And then I look in my wallet and cry
It's a REALLY big bag too with tons of compartments. But I feel you. Shit is NOT cheap

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:22 pm

brinicolec wrote:
eck456 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
It's a REALLY big bag too with tons of compartments. But I feel you. Shit is NOT cheap
I did just get a summer offer today....but considering it's in Europe I should prob just save my $$ and buy shit at Zara and mango to bring back

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:54 pm

brinicolec wrote:
eck456 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Oh this looks lit. Hopefully my bank account wont be in shambles when the black ones become available again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
eck456 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Oh this looks lit. Hopefully my bank account wont be in shambles when the black ones become available again.
Did you put yourself on the WL?

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:36 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
eck456 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Did you put yourself on the WL?
Yup!

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:09 am

What color did you get?? I really want the black one but there's a waitlist for it :roll:[/quote]

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[/quote]

Oh damn that's adorable...now you've got me like, "don't I deserve a new bag for law school?!?" And then I look in my wallet and cry[/quote]

It's a REALLY big bag too with tons of compartments. But I feel you. Shit is NOT cheap[/quote]
Oh this looks lit. Hopefully my bank account wont be in shambles when the black ones become available again.[/quote]

Did you put yourself on the WL?[/quote]
Yup![/quote]

Ok, you've convinced me. Doing it too!

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:46 pm

If the wait is too long--another more expensive but super organized tote is the Dagne Dover. I love it more than any purse I've ever had. It is beyond organized AND THERE IS A CUP HOLDER----A CUP HOLDER IN A PURSE. It is the most beautiful thing in the world. Y'all should check it out. If you wait for them to go on sale and out of season, they get down to like 150.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:47 pm

airwrecka wrote:
I'm going to Paris in a couple weeks and might have to snag one of these.
It's totally worth it and I'm not sure if they do it in France but check and see if you can get your taxes back--makes it even cheaper!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:02 am

CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:If the wait is too long--another more expensive but super organized tote is the Dagne Dover. I love it more than any purse I've ever had. It is beyond organized AND THERE IS A CUP HOLDER----A CUP HOLDER IN A PURSE. It is the most beautiful thing in the world. Y'all should check it out. If you wait for them to go on sale and out of season, they get down to like 150.
Wtf, a cup holder?!!? I didn't even know that's possible lol

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:52 am

CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:If the wait is too long--another more expensive but super organized tote is the Dagne Dover. I love it more than any purse I've ever had. It is beyond organized AND THERE IS A CUP HOLDER----A CUP HOLDER IN A PURSE. It is the most beautiful thing in the world. Y'all should check it out. If you wait for them to go on sale and out of season, they get down to like 150.
Oh god. Now I want both :roll:

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:21 am

eck456 wrote:Ok, you've convinced me. Doing it too!
The black OG is back in stock!! Got mine within ten minutes of getting the email. Remember ladies, always make reckless financial decisions before you have time to really think about it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
The black OG is back in stock!! Got mine within ten minutes of getting the email. Remember ladies, always make reckless financial decisions before you have time to really think about it
This is exactly how I live my life. Plus I'm an emotional shopper on top of being impulsive. I paid my seat deposit and got so stressed I bought three pairs of shoes and almost bought this purse on top of it. :oops:

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:47 pm

CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
This is exactly how I live my life. Plus I'm an emotional shopper on top of being impulsive. I paid my seat deposit and got so stressed I bought three pairs of shoes and almost bought this purse on top of it. :oops:
Lmao girl same!!! I bought a coffee table and a pair of heels immediately after putting down my deposit. I have no logical reason why

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:33 pm

:lol: last weekend I got a new car, and I went home and bought a bunch of sephora stuff.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:08 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote::lol: last weekend I got a new car, and I went home and bought a bunch of sephora stuff.
TREAT.
YO.
SELF!!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”