Can placing a deposit hurt you? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
The_Gavel

New

Can placing a deposit hurt you?

Post by The_Gavel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:56 am

Hey everyone, so I'm still waiting back on a few decisions. I have a seat deposit due tomorrow (already had deadline extended) for a local school in the 75-100 ranking range. They have offered me a full scholarship so I'm considering placing a deposit and protecting my seat while I wait to hear back from some other schools. I'm wondering if me placing a deposit would have any impact on my admission decision at top 20 schools, and in particular if the fact that I placed a deposit at a lower tier school would be viewed in any negative light by top 20 admissions committees? I do have an offer from one top 20 school as well, would placing a deposit there have any impact on my chances? Thanks in advance!

TexasENG

Silver

Re: Can placing a deposit hurt you?

Post by TexasENG » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:11 am

alexp wrote:Hey everyone, so I'm still waiting back on a few decisions. I have a seat deposit due tomorrow (already had deadline extended) for a local school in the 75-100 ranking range. They have offered me a full scholarship so I'm considering placing a deposit and protecting my seat while I wait to hear back from some other schools. I'm wondering if me placing a deposit would have any impact on my admission decision at top 20 schools, and in particular if the fact that I placed a deposit at a lower tier school would be viewed in any negative light by top 20 admissions committees? I do have an offer from one top 20 school as well, would placing a deposit there have any impact on my chances? Thanks in advance!
Depending on the school placing a deposit is contingent on you withdrawing Acceptances from other schools.

Placing a deposit will have no impact on pending applications and you do not have to withdraw a pending application if you place a deposit.

Similarly to placing a deposit at a lower ranked school placing a deposit at a T20 will not impact any pending applications to other schools.

The_Gavel

New

Post by The_Gavel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:58 am

TexasENG wrote:
alexp wrote:Hey everyone, so I'm still waiting back on a few decisions. I have a seat deposit due tomorrow (already had deadline extended) for a local school in the 75-100 ranking range. They have offered me a full scholarship so I'm considering placing a deposit and protecting my seat while I wait to hear back from some other schools. I'm wondering if me placing a deposit would have any impact on my admission decision at top 20 schools, and in particular if the fact that I placed a deposit at a lower tier school would be viewed in any negative light by top 20 admissions committees? I do have an offer from one top 20 school as well, would placing a deposit there have any impact on my chances? Thanks in advance!
Depending on the school placing a deposit is contingent on you withdrawing Acceptances from other schools.

Placing a deposit will have no impact on pending applications and you do not have to withdraw a pending application if you place a deposit.

Similarly to placing a deposit at a lower ranked school placing a deposit at a T20 will not impact any pending applications to other schools.
Thank you for the reply that was very helpful. I'm assuming that if I was required to withdraw my acceptances that would be detailed in my admissions letter/packet? Not really something I want to call about haha. I know that my top 20 offer is contingent upon me withdrawing my other deposits by May 1 and it details that in the letter.

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 pm

alexp wrote:
TexasENG wrote:

Thank you for the reply that was very helpful. I'm assuming that if I was required to withdraw my acceptances that would be detailed in my admissions letter/packet? Not really something I want to call about haha. I know that my top 20 offer is contingent upon me withdrawing my other deposits by May 1 and it details that in the letter.
The school will typically detail in their documentation somewhere (frequently wherever the deposit amount / deadline is) any contingencies. I've seen a mix of requirements from schools, but they are all usually pretty explicit if they have any requirements. If nothing is noted then I would go ahead and assume they don't require you to withdraw elsewhere.

The_Gavel

New

Post by The_Gavel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:27 pm

TexasENG wrote:
alexp wrote:
TexasENG wrote:

The school will typically detail in their documentation somewhere (frequently wherever the deposit amount / deadline is) any contingencies. I've seen a mix of requirements from schools, but they are all usually pretty explicit if they have any requirements. If nothing is noted then I would go ahead and assume they don't require you to withdraw elsewhere.
Very helpful thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”