What would be your max commute time? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Stylnator

Silver

What would be your max commute time?

Post by Stylnator » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:09 am

I live 40 min away and would graduate with 0k debt if I did so. That being said, I live 40 min away. Curious as to what everyone else's preferences for commutes are! (I know this may vary depending on age/family/location)

guynourmin

Gold

Re: What would be your max commute time?

Post by guynourmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am

Really depends on the city. If I go to NU, I will stay in my neighborhood because I love it here. It'll be ~45 minutes (15 min walking, 30 min train) and I'm okay with that. If I went to WUSTL or Michigan, I wouldn't even consider a 20 minute door-to-door commute.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:30 am

I don't think 40 mins is that bad.

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:37 am

Mine's 30-45 min depending on traffic. My wife's commute is about the same in the opposite direction, so it's a nice compromise and lets us live in an awesome neighborhood. Really not bad at all, but I wouldn't go much longer.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:42 am

My 1L is going to be a stupid long commute. 25 minutes driving, 45 minutes on the train, 10 minute walk. Personally, the additional time is worth the money saved for not having to live closer. Also, if part of your commute is on the train than it's a wash because I plan on factoring that into my studying time. That's the potential of 90 productive studying minutes a day.

That being said, I know that the commute will kill me a little inside so I am hoping we can move closer after 1L. 40 minutes is completely fine, though. That's about what I currently have for work and it doesn't really phase me much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:55 am

I had a 30+ minute bus ride everyday for UG and didn't mind it too much because I liked where I lived and saved money

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm lazy...30 mins. I used to do a 2 hour commute every day for a consulting project. Never again. If you're from Long Island fuck the 495.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:02 pm

currently have a 2 hour commute each way for work so I will accept nothing more than 15 minutes for law school. so done with commuting

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:04 pm

currently commute 45 mins- 1 hour each way for work and it is routinely the worst part of my day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:05 pm

My hour commute to work is slowly killing me. My goal for law school is to live as close to the school as possible for 1L. Rent prices be damned, I'm going to need some me time. After 1L, I'll probably move further away to save money.

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:16 pm

The only good thing about my long commute was that I discovered how amazing podcasts are and I got to listen to Serial.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:28 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:currently have a 2 hour commute each way for work so I will accept nothing more than 15 minutes for law school. so done with commuting
This is so me it hurts. Have legitimately had mental breakdowns re: Seattle's public transportation.

dietcoke1 already knows this, but I sign my perfect close-to-campus lease this week :D

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:38 pm

For school 40 minutes isn't that bad, especially if it's passive so you can do other things.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:38 pm

chandhi wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:currently have a 2 hour commute each way for work so I will accept nothing more than 15 minutes for law school. so done with commuting
This is so me it hurts. Have legitimately had mental breakdowns re: Seattle's public transportation.

dietcoke1 already knows this, but I sign my perfect close-to-campus lease this week :D
Omg Chandhi! I didn't know you had decided! Where will you be attending?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:39 pm

chandhi wrote:

seriously. not sure whether or I'm more excited to start the next part of my life or not to ever have to ride the damn train for so long again

that is exciting, congrats!

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:40 pm

sublime wrote:For school 40 minutes isn't that bad, especially if it's passive so you can do other things.
I will be driving 40 min on the freeway, rush hour in the mornings so I'm assuming it will be closer to 1 hour as I'm headed into the city area.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Stylnator wrote:
sublime wrote:For school 40 minutes isn't that bad, especially if it's passive so you can do other things.
I will be driving 40 min on the freeway, rush hour in the mornings so I'm assuming it will be closer to 1 hour as I'm headed into the city area.
That's annoying but still doable, and worth it for no debt I think. Honestly, I had more free time in law school than just about any other time in my life.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Stylnator wrote:
chandhi wrote:

Michigan! Too damn excited. And 112% sure it's the right choice. Thanks, Stylnator :)

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:57 pm

Stylnator wrote:
Honestly, my driving commute would be very similar to this. I'm choosing the longer commute that includes a train because I think it's
1. a better use of my time
2. Better for my overall mental health. Starting and ending my day with Rush hour traffic will take a bigger toll on me than a longer commute would

Obviously that doesn't hold true for everyone but it might be worth it to see what all your options are, try them all out for a week, and see what works best for you. That's kind of how I decided on the commute I decided on.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:57 pm

chandhi wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
chandhi wrote:

Michigan! Too damn excited. And 112% sure it's the right choice. Thanks, Stylnator :)
Congrats!!

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:11 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
Honestly, my driving commute would be very similar to this. I'm choosing the longer commute that includes a train because I think it's
2. Better for my overall mental health. Starting and ending my day with Rush hour traffic will take a bigger toll on me than a longer commute would

Obviously that doesn't hold true for everyone but it might be worth it to see what all your options are, try them all out for a week, and see what works best for you. That's kind of how I decided on the commute I decided on.
I've never even thought about how different commutes might carry different time values. Sitting on a train sounds way more pleasant than rush hour even if it does extend commute time. Sadly there is also no public transportation where I'll be (gotta love suburbia).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:12 pm

chandhi wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
chandhi wrote:

Awesome! Feel free to PM me for fun things to do in MI!

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Stylnator wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

I've never even thought about how different commutes might carry different time values. Sitting on a train sounds way more pleasant than rush hour even if it does extend commute time. Sadly there is also no public transportation where I'll be (gotta love suburbia).
Ugh. That sucks. That makes it a harder decision honestly. I kind of get why you're not sure. At the end of the day, though...my debt averse ass would probably be finding some calming music to listen to and navigating rush hour.

On the bright side - one big negative with train commuting is missing late night bar reviews or other nights out because I have to catch the last train home. If you drive, that won't be an issue. You can just leave at whatever time you're ready. So, there's one plus to keep in mind!

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:28 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

Ugh. That sucks. That makes it a harder decision honestly. I kind of get why you're not sure. At the end of the day, though...my debt averse ass would probably be finding some calming music to listen to and navigating rush hour.

On the bright side - one big negative with train commuting is missing late night bar reviews or other nights out because I have to catch the last train home. If you drive, that won't be an issue. You can just leave at whatever time you're ready. So, there's one plus to keep in mind!
Yeah, it looks like it's just going to be something I'll have to suck up but I have heard positive comments from commuters at my school so it's not like it will be miserable. And you're definitely right that it'll be a positive to be on my own time table. Hopefully you can catch rides from someone who lives near you once you make friends!

I have enough COL saved up to fund 1 year of living on my own but I'm not sure if it should be 1L, 2L, or 3L. There is a semester in D.C. program at my school that I really would like to try out and that takes place 2nd year so I was planning on using funds for that, and then commuting 1L and 3L. I will learn to love driving!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Stylnator wrote: I will learn to love driving!
Maybe you can teach ferris!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”