Duke at $80k or Columbia at Sticker? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Columbia or Duke?

Columbia
34%
Duke
66%

Total votes: 85

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Re: Duke at $80k or Columbia at Sticker?

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:As a heads up (and setting aside the false assumption that you are certain to get Biglaw), paying off $100K in student loans is also not a laughing matter; especially with NYC rent etc. If you hadn't already seat deposited, I would have encouraged you to go back to both Chicago and Duke to negotiate toward a full ride. However, what's done is done.

Congratulations on getting into those three great schools and best of luck!
Agreed. I deposited at multiple places that weren't binding and negotiated higher scholarship offers. If you can get more money from Duke, go there. Factoring in rent, Columbia might not be any cheaper. Duke also has a pipeline to NYC -- I've never heard of a student here who wanted NYC big law and didn't get it.

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:40 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:As a heads up (and setting aside the false assumption that you are certain to get Biglaw), paying off $100K in student loans is also not a laughing matter; especially with NYC rent etc. If you hadn't already seat deposited, I would have encouraged you to go back to both Chicago and Duke to negotiate toward a full ride. However, what's done is done.

Agreed. I deposited at multiple places that weren't binding and negotiated higher scholarship offers. If you can get more money from Duke, go there. Factoring in rent, Columbia might not be any cheaper. Duke also has a pipeline to NYC -- I've never heard of a student here who wanted NYC big law and didn't get it.
Columbia does not allow for double deposits so I would not have been able to do this

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:07 am

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote:

Columbia does not allow for double deposits so I would not have been able to do this
Awww, bummer. Best of luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”