"Unicorn" jobs' school cut-off? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
call-me-bubbles

Bronze

"Unicorn" jobs' school cut-off?

Post by call-me-bubbles » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Are unicorn goals/jobs achievable from CCN? I know the traditional line of thought is "unicorn = YSH" and vice-versa, but is the "cut-off," so to speak, really that strict? Or is it possible that some of that unicorny goodness might trickle down to the plebs at, say, University of Chicago?

I have no particular unicorn job in mind, nor is a unicorn job my goal at this point, but I'm just curious to see what people think.

Edit: What even *are* unicorn jobs?
Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tiny Rick!

Bronze

Re: "Unicorn" jobs' school cut-off?

Post by Tiny Rick! » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:56 pm

LOOOOOOOL

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 pm

Elizabeth Warren went to Rutgers-Newark and has had a string of unicorn jobs.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Jeez, these humblebrags on TLS are getting worse by the day...

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Jeez, these humblebrags on TLS are getting worse by the day...
Serious question. Like I said, I'm not out looking for a "unicorn job," but I just read a post by someone non-ironically asking whether or not they should turn down multiple full-rides at other T13s or attend Yale at sticker because "academia" and "unicorn." There are so many folks on here who throw around the same terms, and I'm genuinely curious to see them defend/explain the concept of unicorn jobs and why they're strictly limited to the top three of YSH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:15 pm

i mean... do you not know how statistics work?

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:22 pm

pancakes3 wrote:i mean... do you not know how statistics work?
Again, so many people throw around "unicorn jobs!!" as a reason for taking sticker debt at YSH over full-rides at other T13s with comparable legal employment scores, so I don't think it's a ridiculous question to dig a little deeper and try to understand what people actually mean when they're talking about "unicorn" jobs and how they actually use that concept to justify the exceptionalism of YSH.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:25 pm

There's obviously not a hard cut off...you're at Chicago. Relax!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:26 pm

where are you finding your "legal employment scores" ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

didgeridoo92

New

Post by didgeridoo92 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:28 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:
Again, so many people throw around "unicorn jobs!!" as a reason for taking sticker debt at YSH over full-rides at other T13s with comparable legal employment scores, so I don't think it's a ridiculous question to dig a little deeper and try to understand what people actually mean when they're talking about "unicorn" jobs and how they actually use that concept to justify the exceptionalism of YSH.
It's not a ridiculous question and I don't know the answer to it. Just chiming in to say that you're gonna have to wade through the 20 upcoming aspie responses before you get 2 or 3 legitimate answers to your question (as per TLS norms)

Milksteak

New

Post by Milksteak » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:33 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:Are unicorn goals/jobs achievable from CCN? I know the traditional line of thought is "unicorn = YSH" and vice-versa, but is the "cut-off," so to speak, really that strict? Or is it possible that some of that unicorny goodness might trickle down to the plebs at, say, University of Chicago?

I have no particular unicorn job in mind, nor is a unicorn job my goal at this point, but I'm just curious to see what people think.

I am not really sure what a unicorn job is. I have seen a lot of people suggest that the ACLU is a unicorn job and if you want there you need to go to HYS, but I know lots of CCN grads that work there or at similar prestigious impact lit organizations. School matters, but when you are already at a top school I think creating a the right resume matters more. Just using the ACLU example, if you go to a school where you can do impact litigation clinics, internships, and externships, where you can RA for professors or at institutes focused on that type of work, and where you get great grades/journal/clerkship, I cant see how you would be out of the running.

albinododobird

Bronze

Post by albinododobird » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:38 pm

I think a lot of the difference in career outcomes between YSH and CCN is a result of self-selection. People who want to be law professors are more likely to go to Yale, but going to Chicago won't stop you if you're able to produce serious scholarship. Same goes for SCOTUS clerkships and other highly competitive jobs.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:56 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Elizabeth Warren went to Rutgers-Newark and has had a string of unicorn jobs.
wouldn't have been possible if she weren't american indian.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:47 pm

grand inquisitor wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:Elizabeth Warren went to Rutgers-Newark and has had a string of unicorn jobs.
wouldn't have been possible if she weren't american indian.
http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... rican.html

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:20 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:
In no particular order:

Supreme Court clerk
Supreme Court justice
POTUS
WLRK/Cravath
Elite Lit Boutique
Counsel at IB/PE/Banking (I think?); really GC/in-house at any F500

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:33 am

I think Chelsea Manning's ACLU lawyer went to Northeastern. Not to say that's typical but if you're worried about CCN you have better things to worry about.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:19 am

1styearlateral wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
In no particular order:

Supreme Court clerk
Supreme Court justice
POTUS
WLRK/Cravath
Elite Lit Boutique
academia, working for your favorite charity or human rights org, arguing in front of the supreme court

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:24 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:I think Chelsea Manning's ACLU lawyer went to Northeastern. Not to say that's typical but if you're worried about CCN you have better things to worry about.
where did chelsea manning go

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:32 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:I think Chelsea Manning's ACLU lawyer went to Northeastern. Not to say that's typical but if you're worried about CCN you have better things to worry about.
Is this a setup for some punchline or something? lol

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:33 am

I associate unicorn gigs with PI (impact lit is the first thing that comes to mind) and also fancy govt stuff. Someone said building the right resume is possibly more important than being at the right school, and that's likely true.

Also, no one has mentioned this, but the LRAP programs at HYS encompass a wider array of employment outcomes than most other schools. It's possible some unicorn outcomes/career paths don't fit squarely in a bucket, so having an LRAP program that will cover pretty much anything is huge.

edit for clarity

Nacho_Verde

New

Post by Nacho_Verde » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:34 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Jeez, these humblebrags on TLS are getting worse by the day...
You should check out the lawschooladmissions subreddit. It's just people gloating about getting into GULC, and how they withdrew from 10 T50/TT schools. Then all the plebs come to congratulate him and thank him for opening a spot in those schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:54 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
it definitely is.
Nacho_Verde wrote:
You should check out the lawschooladmissions subreddit. It's just people gloating about getting into GULC, and how they withdrew from 10 T50/TT schools. Then all the plebs come to congratulate him and thank him for opening a spot in those schools.
and I really don't remember those types of posts last year? Maybe I'm blocking them out. Just withdrew full rides at baylor, Richmond, and Wyoming. If I could ask them to give those scholarships to you wonderful people, I would!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:32 pm

guybourdin wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
it definitely is.
Nacho_Verde wrote:
and I really don't remember those types of posts last year? Maybe I'm blocking them out. Just withdrew full rides at baylor, Richmond, and Wyoming. If I could ask them to give those scholarships to you wonderful people, I would!
Wows, lol I guess SOMEONE has to happily attend those schools...

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:53 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:Are unicorn goals/jobs achievable from CCN? I know the traditional line of thought is "unicorn = YSH" and vice-versa, but is the "cut-off," so to speak, really that strict? Or is it possible that some of that unicorny goodness might trickle down to the plebs at, say, University of Chicago?

Yes.

My take is that people need some reason to justify turning down massive scholarships in order to be able to say they went to Yale or Harvard.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:12 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
In no particular order:

Supreme Court clerk
Supreme Court justice
POTUS
WLRK/Cravath
Elite Lit Boutique
These are not unicorn jobs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”