"Unicorn" jobs' school cut-off? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Po$eidon

Bronze

Re: "Unicorn" jobs' school cut-off?

Post by Po$eidon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:56 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:
curry1 wrote:I was only semi-joking. At Chicago's asw this weekend a lot of current students would refer to Yale, Harvard, Stanford and Chicago leaving out NYU and Columbia. T6 also wasn't a thing IRL, a lot of people talked about "top 5 schools," which I found weird. The statistics do seem to bear out that Chicago's placement into clerkships/academia is much more in line with H/S than C/N. Y is its own beast. I'm not convinced that H is better than Chicago, they seem equal in virtually all respects. S undoubtedly does better with clerkships.
Agreed. I put H with Chi because I also think H is WAAAAY overestimated. It's only real benefits come if you make H law review or in that one in 3000000 chance you get into deep politics. Betting on those, though? Stupid

I got into Uchi last year w/$75k but I turned it down cuz it would have left me never seeing my SO who I'm madly in love with. I've been kicking myself since as I really am interested in academia (I'm a great teacher) but I'll live (going to Cornell w/a fat scholly this coming fall instead)

Edit: we live in NYC. Also, congrats on that Uchi acceptance
No need to apologize. Great decision! Cornell is basically the new "C". Although if Columbia manages to turn the ship around (unlikely), it's possibly we'll settle into a new "CCCN" tier.
Lmao it's not really (I know its rank) but it is a good school in an acceptable location

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:57 pm

RSN wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:
RSN wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:
RSN wrote:
curry1 wrote:
I was only semi-joking. At Chicago's asw this weekend a lot of current students would refer to Yale, Harvard, Stanford and Chicago leaving out NYU and Columbia. T6 also wasn't a thing IRL, a lot of people talked about "top 5 schools," which I found weird. The statistics do seem to bear out that Chicago's placement into clerkships/academia is much more in line with H/S than C/N. Y is its own beast. I'm not convinced that H is better than Chicago, they seem equal in virtually all respects. S undoubtedly does better with clerkships.
Lol, that's egregious and actually pretty funny rankings trolling by Chicago. One year of slight U.S. News bump and suddenly they think they're basically the HLS of the Midwest. It doesn't matter which order the Cs go in CCN, it's still CCN.
I've personally judged Chicago as above CLS for a while now and my opinion personally wasn't changed by the rankings shift. CLS doesn't place into academia or clerkships well enough for its spot imo
Po$eidon wrote:
Agreed. I put H with Chi because I also think H is WAAAAY overestimated. It's only real benefits come if you make H law review or in that one in 3000000 chance you get into deep politics. Betting on those, though? Stupid

I got into Uchi last year w/$75k but I turned it down cuz it would have left me never seeing my SO who I'm madly in love with. I've been kicking myself since as I really am interested in academia (I'm a great teacher) but I'll live (going to Cornell w/a fat scholly this coming fall instead)

Edit: we live in NYC. Also, congrats on that Uchi acceptance
Let it be known to all: the 0L sea god has spoken. Bow before his divine judgments and greatness of teaching ability.
Better a seagod who has placed students at Harvard Law and NYU than a douchebag
How does it feel to be both though?
I'll never know. And neither will you

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Rigo wrote:In 50 pages this thread will be about whether Vassar or WUSTL has more lay prestige in Northern Virginia. You heard it here first.
Winner

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:34 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:I've personally judged Chicago as above CLS for a while now and my opinion personally wasn't changed by the rankings shift. CLS doesn't place into academia or clerkships well enough for its spot imo
Of course, your average top law grad couldn't care less about academia, so they go to CLS to get the biglaw gig they want.

Also,
Po$eidon wrote:I've been kicking myself since as I really am interested in academia (I'm a great teacher)
you know that teaching doesn't get you anywhere in legal academia, right?[/quote]

Oh of course. And I definitely don't know that I'd be any good at the other, much more necessary aspect of academia: research. I just know I'm a pretty bomb teacher so it would be a potentially very enjoyable career option
Last edited by Po$eidon on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Nacho_Verde wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Jeez, these humblebrags on TLS are getting worse by the day...
You should check out the lawschooladmissions subreddit. It's just people gloating about getting into GULC, and how they withdrew from 10 T50/TT schools. Then all the plebs come to congratulate him and thank him for opening a spot in those schools.
Ew, I don't like you. Perish the thought someone is proud of the law school they got into. It's a big accomplishment for a lot of people to get into GULC, a damn fine school. And it's an accomplishment to get into good regionals as well. I hate this kind of elitism.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:48 pm

If you see a difference between YHS and CCN, you're probably an elitist. T13 unicorns are bad enough without the world class *******who divide those schools up into different tiers and then **** on each other.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:If you see a difference between YHS and CCN, you're probably an elitist. T13 unicorns are bad enough without the world class *******who divide those schools up into different tiers and then **** on each other.
I don't think almost any of it really matters I'm just being nerdy about it

Nacho_Verde

New

Post by Nacho_Verde » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:12 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
Nacho_Verde wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Jeez, these humblebrags on TLS are getting worse by the day...
You should check out the lawschooladmissions subreddit. It's just people gloating about getting into GULC, and how they withdrew from 10 T50/TT schools. Then all the plebs come to congratulate him and thank him for opening a spot in those schools.
Ew, I don't like you. Perish the thought someone is proud of the law school they got into. It's a big accomplishment for a lot of people to get into GULC, a damn fine school. And it's an accomplishment to get into good regionals as well. I hate this kind of elitism.
Nah man, You got some internal shit to work on. You assumed I was dissing on GULC, and I wasn't. they're humble bragging about all the schools they get into while letting everyone know they got into a top school.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:07 am

Nacho_Verde wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Nacho_Verde wrote:
Nah man, You got some internal shit to work on. You assumed I was dissing on GULC, and I wasn't. they're humble bragging about all the schools they get into while letting everyone know they got into a top school.
I didn't assume, you specifically used the word plebs to describe the people congratulating someone who got in there and who wanted to go to a T50. There's really no other way to take that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:14 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
Nacho_Verde wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Nacho_Verde wrote:
I didn't assume, you specifically used the word plebs to describe the people congratulating someone who got in there and who wanted to go to a T50. There's really no other way to take that.
Fine, replace GULC with Yale and see if you can spot the humblebrag.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Nacho_Verde wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Nacho_Verde wrote:
Fine, replace GULC with Yale and see if you can spot the humblebrag.
I guess I'm just willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt that they were happy, rather, than gloating. But even then, the comment about the plebs thanking him for opening a spot doesn't strike you as a touch elitist?

Nacho_Verde

New

Post by Nacho_Verde » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:44 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
I guess I'm just willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt that they were happy, rather, than gloating. But even then, the comment about the plebs thanking him for opening a spot doesn't strike you as a touch elitist?
Nope, just trying to put some Humor in. I would have used sheeple too, but I liked pleps.

You need to destress some and imo trying to shame people online doesn't help.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Nacho_Verde wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Nope, just trying to put some Humor in. I would have used sheeple too, but I liked pleps.

You need to destress some and imo trying to shame people online doesn't help.
Doritos are a TTT snack. Best not let anyone know your snack choice preferences.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GOODWORKSTE

New

Post by GOODWORKSTE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:41 am

Ferrisjso wrote:If you see a difference between YHS and CCN, you're probably an elitist. T13 unicorns are bad enough without the world class *******who divide those schools up into different tiers and then **** on each other.
this 100%

really wouldn't ever make a distinction within the T13 unless it was Y > everyone else

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”