Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sphyrnidae13

Bronze

Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Post by sphyrnidae13 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Quick question...if I withdraw from an (optional) senior honors thesis I mentioned in my resume, could this be grounds for rescinding an admissions offer? Do I need to notify the school? Thanks

PS the thesis also is on my transcript as a course this semester, so it would appear as a non punitive withdrawal if I withdraw

Alpal29

New

Re: Thesis withdrawal...will it hurt?

Post by Alpal29 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Normally I say to hell with withdrawals no one cares. But this one actually might hurt you. You'll definitely need to tell the schools if you withdraw.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:11 pm

I think this is a non-issue. But if you want to be safe, I suggest circulating an updated resume to the schools to which you've applied. Don't worry—no one will notice (or care) about the change; it's not going to impact your chances of admission anywhere.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:23 pm

I don't think the resume is as big a concern as the transcript change (with a W), send an updated resume and updated transcript
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:I don't think the resume is as big a concern as the transcript change (with a W), send an updated resume and updated transcript
I disagree. I'd be more concerned about correcting the representation the OP made on his or her resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:34 pm

rpupkin wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:I don't think the resume is as big a concern as the transcript change (with a W), send an updated resume and updated transcript
I disagree. I'd be more concerned about correcting the representation the OP made on his or her resume.
You know more than me, so I defer to your advice. But having your optional thesis on your resume doesn't seem like schools will care as much as you changing your transcript and not updating it.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:46 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
You know more than me, so I defer to your advice. But having your optional thesis on your resume doesn't seem like schools will care as much as you changing your transcript and not updating it.
You don't change your transcript; your school does: that's the difference. The law school that OP decides to attend will ask for a final transcript at some point. That takes care of the transcript issue.

The resume issue is more of a concern because the OP (foolishly) decided to promote the fact that he was intending to complete a thesis on his resume. If you make a decision to list something on your resume, and if that thing later ceases to be accurate for one reason or another, I think you should correct it.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:36 am

Last edited by katthegreat11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nunumaster

Silver

Post by nunumaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:31 am

I don't think it's a strong soft, no one gives a fuck about your thesis in college. Just send the updated resume.

ETA: Unless you got caught plagerising or something else.
Last edited by nunumaster on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 am

Last edited by katthegreat11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potus

Bronze

Post by potus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:04 pm

It's optional. It doesn't affect your GPA. It doesn't hurt.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:I think the reason why you're withdrawing matters...
Nah. No one cares. The only way this could be an issue for the OP is if it somehow raises a disclosure/candor problem (which is rather unlikely--but at least plausible). That's why, out of an abundance of caution, I think that OP should send in an updated resume.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 pm

I don't think it will damage you, but it might just remove a soft schools would otherwise appreciate. I know for instance that Harvard asked on their app if you've done any substantial writing, so I included my thesis there. I was then asked about my thesis during my Harvard interview. (granted, theses are different for everyone--mine was 60 pages, so it was obviously very substantial--a 20 page thesis might be less exciting)

asundialwatch

New

Post by asundialwatch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:05 am

I withdrew from my thesis and no one cared. You'll probably be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”