Laptop for Law School Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
dbalkaran

Silver

Laptop for Law School

Post by dbalkaran » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:02 pm

I'll be starting school in August and I was debating whether or not to upgrade my laptop. I currently have a 12" MacBook and an iPad Pro 9.7" which I figured I could use for note taking. Is it worth it to upgrade? I was thinking about switching to Windows since that's what most enterprises use.

blueapple

Silver

Re: Laptop for Law School

Post by blueapple » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 am

It's not worth upgrading unless your computer doesn't work anymore. FWIW, in my experience most people had macbooks in law school.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nunumaster

Silver

Post by nunumaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 am

Almost everyone uses macs in law school.

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:10 am

Last edited by do_me_a_favor on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:23 pm

There's no disadvantage to having a PC, right? I currently have a macbook pro, but I'm in need of an update and was thinking of switching to the surface pro for note-taking possibilities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:20 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:There's no disadvantage to having a PC, right? I currently have a macbook pro, but I'm in need of an update and was thinking of switching to the surface pro for note-taking possibilities.
No disadvantage to having a PC, but you'll want to make sure the surface pro is compatible with your school's exam software since it's technically a tablet from what I understand. I would wait until you know where you're going and then get in touch with the law school IT department to make sure it'll work.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:40 pm

blueapple wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:There's no disadvantage to having a PC, right? I currently have a macbook pro, but I'm in need of an update and was thinking of switching to the surface pro for note-taking possibilities.
No disadvantage to having a PC, but you'll want to make sure the surface pro is compatible with your school's exam software since it's technically a tablet from what I understand. I would wait until you know where you're going and then get in touch with the law school IT department to make sure it'll work.
Good point. Thanks!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:43 pm

nunumaster wrote:Almost everyone uses macs in law school.
Stellar endorsement of Mac clientele

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Well that settles it...I'll save my $1500 and just stick with my current laptop. I can't imagine any of the software I'd need to run will be all that demanding.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:39 pm

dbalkaran wrote:Well that settles it...I'll save my $1500 and just stick with my current laptop. I can't imagine any of the software I'd need to run will be all that demanding.
Yeah, you'll be good. Save that money for more important stuff. Buy an Xbox One and join the tls club

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Nebby wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:Well that settles it...I'll save my $1500 and just stick with my current laptop. I can't imagine any of the software I'd need to run will be all that demanding.
Yeah, you'll be good. Save that money for more important stuff. Buy a PS4 and join the cool kidz club
Fixed that for you.

texanslimjim

New

Post by texanslimjim » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Jesus Christ. Yes, do not upgrade now. And when you do eventually "upgrade," do yourself a favor and yourself a Asus or Lenovo workhorse for $600 at most; spend the remaining $900 on a real gaming desktop, a console, a wardrobe upgrade or alcohol instead.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 pm

texanslimjim wrote:Jesus Christ. Yes, do not upgrade now. And when you do eventually "upgrade," do yourself a favor and yourself a Asus or Lenovo workhorse for $600 at most; spend the remaining $900 on a real gaming desktop, a console, a wardrobe upgrade or alcohol instead.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:52 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Yeah, you'll be good. Save that money for more important stuff. Buy a PS4 and join the cool kidz club
Fixed that for you.
I have a PS4 Pro sorry Nebby :(

I need to branch out from playing just Madden and 2K. Mafia III was the last game I played and I haven't found anything remotely as good since then.

jader06

New

Post by jader06 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:52 am

Currently, my school is not allowing the new macbook with touch bar to be used for any exams.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:51 am

Are people getting an extra monitor at home? I am wondering if I should get another monitor at home, since reading from my 13' screen gets tiring after a while.

Also my laptop will be two years old when I attend law school. And ideally I hope to put everything I do in law school on one computer. Do you think I should upgrade? I am leaning towards no, but looking for what others are doing.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:04 am

dbalkaran wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Fixed that for you.
I have a PS4 Pro sorry Nebby :(

I need to branch out from playing just Madden and 2K. Mafia III was the last game I played and I haven't found anything remotely as good since then.
Wooooow

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:25 am

jader06 wrote:Currently, my school is not allowing the new macbook with touch bar to be used for any exams.
Which school is this?

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:31 am

no disadvantage. in fact, there were weird issues with macs and the exam software at my school last fall. idk anything about the surface pro though, i'm just talking ordinary PC laptops
melmelcoolj wrote:Are people getting an extra monitor at home? I am wondering if I should get another monitor at home, since reading from my 13' screen gets tiring after a while.

Also my laptop will be two years old when I attend law school. And ideally I hope to put everything I do in law school on one computer. Do you think I should upgrade? I am leaning towards no, but looking for what others are doing.
big monitor is essential if you're like me. i'm very comfortable w/ computers and like to do most of my work on a home computer, with a big screen and a real full size keyboard. it really makes the difference when you write. you'll be able to have your browser open to look at your research and type in word at the same time, etc.

i take my laptop to the library/cafe to get myself out the house and outline a bit, but i generally do the heavy lifting at home on the desktop. if you do get a laptop and want to rely on that primarily, make sure you get a laptop with a great keyboard like lenovos

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:30 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:Are people getting an extra monitor at home? I am wondering if I should get another monitor at home, since reading from my 13' screen gets tiring after a while.

big monitor is essential if you're like me. i'm very comfortable w/ computers and like to do most of my work on a home computer, with a big screen and a real full size keyboard. it really makes the difference when you write. you'll be able to have your browser open to look at your research and type in word at the same time, etc.

i take my laptop to the library/cafe to get myself out the house and outline a bit, but i generally do the heavy lifting at home on the desktop. if you do get a laptop and want to rely on that primarily, make sure you get a laptop with a great keyboard like lenovos[/quote]

Yeah, that sounds great. I used a laptop in college, but I think I will need an extra monitor at home to do the heavy lifting work. So I can have a screen for reading/researching, and another for taking notes or writing my paper. Do you have recommended monitors or key boards?

I already have a MAC, so I am sort of leaning towards not buying another computer. Maybe a mechanical keyboard would do?

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:40 am

melmelcoolj wrote: Yeah, that sounds great. I used a laptop in college, but I think I will need an extra monitor at home to do the heavy lifting work. So I can have a screen for reading/researching, and another for taking notes or writing my paper. Do you have recommended monitors or key boards?

I already have a MAC, so I am sort of leaning towards not buying another computer. Maybe a mechanical keyboard would do?
just go to Best Buy or something and get a cheap monitor in a size you like (or order one from Amazon). I have one of the small macbook airs from a few years back and I just hook my laptop up to the monitor through the thunderbolt port. In terms of keyboard, I use this bluetooth one and it's fine, but I'm not picky so there may be better ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096 ... UTF8&psc=1

I recommend a bluetooth mouse also. I turn both the keyboard and mouse off whenever I'm not at my desk so I don't waste the batteries.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:42 am

blueapple wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote: Yeah, that sounds great. I used a laptop in college, but I think I will need an extra monitor at home to do the heavy lifting work. So I can have a screen for reading/researching, and another for taking notes or writing my paper. Do you have recommended monitors or key boards?

just go to Best Buy or something and get a cheap monitor in a size you like (or order one from Amazon). I have one of the small macbook airs from a few years back and I just hook my laptop up to the monitor through the thunderbolt port. In terms of keyboard, I use this bluetooth one and it's fine, but I'm not picky so there may be better ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096 ... UTF8&psc=1

I recommend a bluetooth mouse also. I turn both the keyboard and mouse off whenever I'm not at my desk so I don't waste the batteries.
The bluetooth keyboard you recommended seem really legit! I will either bring one from home, or buy the one you recommended. I will just go with a cheap monitor then, since I probably won't use it for movies and stuff. At least, I should be studying and not tempting myself to a movie.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:59 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
blueapple wrote:

The bluetooth keyboard you recommended seem really legit! I will either bring one from home, or buy the one you recommended. I will just go with a cheap monitor then, since I probably won't use it for movies and stuff. At least, I should be studying and not tempting myself to a movie.
I promise you will have time to watch movies in law school! But honestly I think all monitors are pretty much the same for what you'll be using it for - unless you need something with great graphics for video games or something like that, something cheap with good reviews will do just fine.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:04 am

Everyone had a MacBook in my class visit lol.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:14 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

i take my laptop to the library/cafe to get myself out the house and outline a bit, but i generally do the heavy lifting at home on the desktop. if you do get a laptop and want to rely on that primarily, make sure you get a laptop with a great keyboard like lenovos
Yeah, that sounds great. I used a laptop in college, but I think I will need an extra monitor at home to do the heavy lifting work. So I can have a screen for reading/researching, and another for taking notes or writing my paper. Do you have recommended monitors or key boards?

If you go mechanical, see if you can find keyboards at a local computer parts store, or try out a friends if you know someone who has one. There are several different types of switches, so you will want to see what kind you prefer. Personally, I have Cherry Reds but I prefer Blues for typing (I bought my keyboard before LS, when I used it more for gaming).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”