Taking 2 dogs with me for 1L? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Nero21

New

Taking 2 dogs with me for 1L?

Post by Nero21 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi everyone, I've read a post on this subject before but I believe it had to do specifically with taking a puppy where as I want to take my two older Shih Tzus with me to law school. My parents and brother think it'll be impossible but they are pretty low maintenance dogs. I was wondering if anyone has had an experience of bringing their dogs from home with them to law school and if so, what was it like? Thanks!

zot1

Gold

Re: Taking 2 dogs with me for 1L?

Post by zot1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:47 pm

I really don't understand why you're stopping at 2. Take 3. You'll neee the therapy benefits.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:50 pm

You will be fine. The problem is getting a puppy. If they are just chill older dogs, as long as you walk them when you can, you will be fine.

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Yeah, you'll be fine. I brought my two dogs with me to law school. Other than adjusting to walking them 3 times a day (used to have a yard) it hasn't been an issue.

emmbeegee

New

Post by emmbeegee » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:12 pm

My dog and I are moving 1,000 miles together for law school, but we've also decided to bring my husband. He (the dog) can only tolerate being home alone for a few hours at a time, so it would definitely be harder if I were single. As long as your dogs are cool being home all day, and you can give them plenty of attention and exercise before/after classes, it should be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emmbeegee

New

Post by emmbeegee » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:13 pm

ILoveYou wrote:Yeah, you'll be fine. I brought my two dogs with me to law school. Other than adjusting to walking them 3 times a day (used to have a yard) it hasn't been an issue.
Did you move from a private house to an apartment? If so, how were your dogs with the new noises of people in the hall/other doors opening and closing?

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:02 pm

emmbeegee wrote:
ILoveYou wrote:Yeah, you'll be fine. I brought my two dogs with me to law school. Other than adjusting to walking them 3 times a day (used to have a yard) it hasn't been an issue.
Did you move from a private house to an apartment? If so, how were your dogs with the new noises of people in the hall/other doors opening and closing?
I did. Moved from a single-family home to a 1 bedroom apartment. Dogs took a little while to adjust and still get pretty concerned when they hear neighbors being loud in the hall, but I'd say they got pretty much used to it within the first two months. Really the key for getting them used to noise and stuff is just spending the time working with them. When we got here my dogs would bark at the door when they heard stuff, but now they pretty much just perk up their ears and sniff the crack at the bottom of the door. It might be more trouble if you have big barkers (neither of mine have ever had too much issue with that) but it's the same basic process.

Nero21

New

Post by Nero21 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:05 pm

zot1 wrote:I really don't understand why you're stopping at 2. Take 3. You'll neee the therapy benefits.
I actually do have a third dog I wanted to take with me but he is much younger and loves playing so I don't think Ill be able to give him the time he needs. Also, I am coming from a home but they rarely bark unless someone knocks on the door loud enough but I don't think it'll be a problem. Thank you to everyone who answered!

emmbeegee

New

Post by emmbeegee » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:30 pm

ILoveYou wrote:
emmbeegee wrote:
I did. Moved from a single-family home to a 1 bedroom apartment. Dogs took a little while to adjust and still get pretty concerned when they hear neighbors being loud in the hall, but I'd say they got pretty much used to it within the first two months. Really the key for getting them used to noise and stuff is just spending the time working with them. When we got here my dogs would bark at the door when they heard stuff, but now they pretty much just perk up their ears and sniff the crack at the bottom of the door. It might be more trouble if you have big barkers (neither of mine have ever had too much issue with that) but it's the same basic process.
Ok, I'm glad to hear that things settled down after a few months. My dog is a Jack Russell/Chihuahua, and he doesn't bark often, but when it does, it lasts foreverrrrr. We already own the apartment that we are moving to (we live full time in NJ but bought the condo in FL as an investment/vacation place) and the one time we brought the dog there with us, it was AWFUL. We left him alone for about an hour one day and got a call from the HOA that he had been barking solidly the entire time and we had to go get him. Fortunately, it's a very dog-friendly city and we can take him to restaurants and most stores, but that obviously isn't always practical. Living there, he's going to have to learn to deal with the sounds. Sounds like that can be my husband's problem haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:30 am

I have a similar question! I want to bring a cat to law school. But I am not sure if that would be too much for 1L? It would be the first time the cat and I will live alone together. At home, my mother also helped to take care of him. So I am a little scared, but I feel bad leaving my cat at home with my parents. Should I just wait till 2L when things settle down a bit?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:42 am

Cats are super easy because while they need (and deserve) attention, they don't need to be walked at regular intervals. You can handle a cat no problem. Plus 1L is hard work, but it's not like it keeps you away from home for days on end without notice or something. (2L and 3L are actually often busier, schedule-wise.)

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Cats are super easy because while they need (and deserve) attention, they don't need to be walked at regular intervals. You can handle a cat no problem. Plus 1L is hard work, but it's not like it keeps you away from home for days on end without notice or something. (2L and 3L are actually often busier, schedule-wise.)
Thanks Anony Mouse. The cat most likely will also remain with me in 2L and 3L. But I plan to keep him for the next ten years, so I feel like I probably should get used to having him around, and making plans accordingly. Thanks for your advice - it is really encouraging. I can always stroke my cat while studying or watching videos, etc.

twokings

New

Post by twokings » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:46 am

I have 2 dogs and could not be happier that they are here. It does mean I go home right when class lets out and rarely study at the library but if you're a homebody anyway, you're golden. I would recommend anyone bring their dog as long as they are fully potty trained and won't require extensive exercise on a day to day basis.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:48 pm

I got a puppy with my girlfriend right after 1L was over. I did pretty well as a 1L, but my dog has made me a better student. I am more relaxed and have to be home more often, which causes me to get more school work done.

Nero21

New

Post by Nero21 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:15 pm

So I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread but it seems that everyone is mostly pro - dog for 1L but does that change if the law schools is Fordham, NYU,Columbia, or Chicago? I know that New York and finding an apartment there is difficult enough and adding a dog to the equation must only make it harder. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences btw!

Hogwartsexpress

New

Post by Hogwartsexpress » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:26 pm

I wish I could take my pit with me but I have found no apartments that will accept her ugh :(

Take your dogs they will make it alot easier I heard

Nero21

New

Post by Nero21 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:51 pm

icetea wrote:I wish I could take my pit with me but I have found no apartments that will accept her ugh :(

Ive heard the same which is kind of surprising cause my whole family says that a 1L doesn't have time for dogs. Also I don't know if this works with lager dogs but I've been reading that you can label your dog as an emotional service animal or something which is something Im considering doing, though it may not be completely ethical cause I don't have any mental health issues but still it's always a plan C. Hope you can take her with you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:43 am

You can totally make time during 1L to take care of your dog, provided a) you use your time efficiently, and b) your dog doesn't experience some kind of a health crisis that requires constant trips to the vet. Quite a few people that I know had dogs during 1L.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Nero21 wrote:
icetea wrote:I wish I could take my pit with me but I have found no apartments that will accept her ugh :(

Ive heard the same which is kind of surprising cause my whole family says that a 1L doesn't have time for dogs. Also I don't know if this works with lager dogs but I've been reading that you can label your dog as an emotional service animal or something which is something Im considering doing, though it may not be completely ethical cause I don't have any mental health issues but still it's always a plan C. Hope you can take her with you!
Granted, I do actually see a mental health counselor and am on medication, but I asked my doctor to give me a note saying my dog was an emotional support animal and she didn't even bat an eye-- gave it to me immediately. Also, even if you don't have diagnosed mental health problems, I do think that animals can be really good for emotional/mental health! Like others in this thread have said, I think my dog definitely keeps me calm, especially when I'm feeling overwhelmed with school work.

icetea -- where does your pit live currently, and where are you wanting to move with her? you could try to get recommendation letters for your pup from your current landlord and/or neighbors to help things along where you're moving...another idea is (if you're looking to live in a big city, like NYC) whenever you see someone out walking their pit in the city, ask the owner where they live and if they have recommendations for pit-friendly management companies. might be a long shot, but you never know!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”